FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Crazed Mugs/Haole Kats at the Mai Kai - OCT. 19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Crazed Mugs/Haole Kats at the Mai Kai - OCT. 19
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-15 1:04 pm   Permalink

<<But can I pull it off? >>

WWTBD?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-11 05:46 am   Permalink

Recent events have conspired against me. I definately can't make this one. But it sure do sound like fun!

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-11 7:22 pm   Permalink

Sorry you won't be there.
Missed you at Hukilau.

We're actually doing the gig without the DVD shoot on the 19th.
Since the Mai Kai is undergoing renewal currently, we felt shooting around certain things, like the giant AC unit in the Molokai would diminish the experience for the viewers and mainly listeners.

So we're still going to Kanakapila like crazy men on the 19th. Six pieces with no pressure and a lot of new material.

We'll record it later this year or early next, whenever the rebuilding is complete.

I can't wait to get down there.
Only a few more days.

I'm in Cleveland right now in a cold rain and I don't like it.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-11 7:28 pm   Permalink

Giant AC unit in the Molokai? Who told you this?

Too bad - press release went out to local media regarding the recording...

The Hukilau

The Most Authentic Tiki Event in the World and the Official Event Honoring the Mai-Kai est. 1956

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 07:04 am   Permalink

What about doing an audio recording instead? That solves the visuals problem, and won't deprive the rest of us who want something out of this, and won't disappoint those who come expecting to see a lot of equipment around you as you perform, as promised in the press!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 09:16 am   Permalink

The AC unit is a large portable unit in the same area where the band plays. It does make the room much more comfortable - but it's LOUD - the continuous Ab at about 50 decibels isn't exactly "performance-friendly". It makes recording impossible. Unfortunately, Kern was unable to say with any certainty if it would be gone by next Friday, so we have no choice but to postpone the recording.

We'll still make a joyous noise (slightly louder than the ac) with the Mugs and have a great time. Hope to see a bunch of familiar faces out there!

josh

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 11:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-12 09:16, Haole Kat wrote:
... the continuous Ab at about 50 decibels isn't exactly "performance-friendly". ...

Isn't that why the amps go to 11?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 11:54 am   Permalink

"Why don't you just make 10 louder?"

"This one goes to 11...."

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 2:07 pm   Permalink

There will still be more equipment than that place should hold.
I could bring a recorder and drop a line out of the PA. Probably will.
May get something awesome.

Also a small camera - which I was planning on bringing anyway.

But a shoot like the ones I'm used to doing, which are label-sponsored DVDs of performances, need everything tight and this set up wasn't ready for the big guns to come in from NYC, LA and Tampa where I will be flying in the shooters from.

Including our own Sneakyjack!

We can still talk about the CD should anyone ask because our part is fairly stable at this point. It will be worth waiting for another opportunity which will come fairly soon. If nothing else, we'll go in the winter when they don't need the AC.

Last time I was there I was soaked with sweat by the time I left and all I was doing then was sipping frosty tropical cocktails. If I play there with no atmospheric enhancement I might flood the place. Wouldn't be pretty video by the 5th song. And with the AC it won't be pretty sounding audio from the 1st song.

So we called it.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 3:04 pm   Permalink

Giant portable AC in the Molokai? Hmmmm. Or I should say wooooooooossssshhhhhhhhh. I'd prefer sarong-clad maidens fanning us with palm fronds.

Quote:

"Why don't you just make 10 louder?"

"This one goes to 11...."

I'm not going unless the Kats emerge from giant coconuts!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 3:06 pm   Permalink

The AC unit has been removed for several days - just wanted to let everyone know.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend!

The Hukilau

The Most Authentic Tiki Event in the World and the Official Event Honoring the Mai-Kai est. 1956

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-13 08:08 am   Permalink

Too bad they didn't let us know that the giant AC box would defintely be gone. It was literally impossible to pull of the multi-camera recording DVD to the quality level Pablus wanted to do it with that thing in there (both with the noise and taking up all that space, which is in short supply anyway).

On the up-side however, repairs are being effected, and the Mai-Kai will be restored to its former glory to provide the perfect backdrop to our Major Motion Picture, of which you will all be cast members.

Plus we'll be cooler without all the noise. And as Pablus says, maybe we can at least get a feed to do a simple audio recording.

In any event, those who can, come out to the Mai-Kai this Friday night the 19th, hear several great new Crazed Mugs tunes, get a lock of TJ and Josh's hair, and provide your lusty vocal reinforcement to The Rum Barrel Song.

Kanekila

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-13 10:40 am   Permalink

Yep wish it could have worked out for the shoot. I'm still in - And I think you should still shoot it one camera on tripod just to get a feel for the room its self on camera and as a simple reference - could even pick a song and post it as is to youtube or something.

I hope to make it for the next "real" try. If anything changes let me know there's lots of airports around here.

Stay Crazed.

I heard the AC unit is gone might be too tight for all the players to get down there...
Have fun either way!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-13 11:14 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai called me and has asked that I make sure everyone here knows the AC is now gone. They were waiting on parts that have come in and the house ac is up and running.

See y'all at the Molokai next week - in air-conditioned comfort!

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-13 2:05 pm   Permalink

If you haven't heard the Crazed Mugs tune, "Marooned on the Mainland" it's freaking awesome. A new standard in exotica.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation