Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Sherry in the Fog Cutter
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Sherry in the Fog Cutter
mangrovemike

Posted: 2007-09-15 08:19 am   Permalink

In the last several years, I have grown incredibly fond of rum... (thank you everyone!). As such, what limited knowledge I had of wine or... sherry has been relegated to the dark recesses of my foggy mind. So as I try to replicate the TV fog cutter, I have struggled to find a suitable sherry. Going to the local spirits store provides an abundance of choices and many blank stares when asking for help with the fog cutter. So.. can anyone recommend a type or brand of sherry? (I tend to like my drinks just a little sweeter).

View Profile of mangrovemike Send a personal message to mangrovemike  Email mangrovemike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-16 2:33 pm   Permalink

I usually use Dry Sack, an Amontillado-style sherry and easily obtainable. If you like it really sweet, then Harvey's Bristol Cream could fit the bill but challenges the original character of the Fog Cutter.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-28 7:26 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if I use Cream Sherry instead of Sherry Brandy in the Fog Cutter?
I also have Maraschino Liquor but no Sweeet Sherry.
I don't know anything about this, please help.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 09:15 am   Permalink

The Fog Cutter is a Trader Vic signature drink. I've had many of them at the restaurants and have frequently made them at home. While Trader Vic's 1947 "Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic" doesn't specify the type of sherry his 1972 "Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide" states that one should use sweet sherry. I've made it at home with Dry Sack (dry sherry of course!) and cream sherry (sweet) and agree with the trader, the sweet sherry float makes for a more flavorful drink. With dry sherry I find the Fog Cutter flavor to be delicate and that it doesn't leave much of an impression besides the after effects of the alcohol.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 12:35 pm   Permalink

I use whatever cheap cream (sweet/rosso) sherry i find at the grocery store.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 6:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the info, I am having one now and it is good, not very sweet and very strong. I used the cream sherry I had. By the way after some research I found out that the shelf life of cream sherry is very short so I need to use up this bottle fast or throw it out. I could store it in a dark cool place or in the frig but not for long.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 10:13 pm   Permalink

I keep my creme sherry in a kitchen cabinet and it is still in good shape over a year later. Besides the Fog Cutter I don't use it much. It is 36 proof so I think it is pretty stable at room temperature. I use "Private Preserve" inert gas wine preserver though.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captainwhoopass
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-07 1:19 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, I have tried a couple different sherrys when I make Fog Cutters. I personally think that Harvey's Bristol Cream lends itself nicely to the drink. It may not be true to the original, but it makes a tasty Fog Cutter.

View Profile of Captainwhoopass Send a personal message to Captainwhoopass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Franco Cabachi

Posted: 2013-01-07 2:22 pm   Permalink

Beachbum Berry said that the Fogcutter is made with Pisco. Anyone make this cocktail with Pisco?

View Profile of Franco Cabachi Send a personal message to Franco Cabachi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-07 14:22, Franco Cabachi wrote:
Beachbum Berry said that the Fogcutter is made with Pisco. Anyone make this cocktail with Pisco?

Franco, where did you hear or read that it was made with Pisco?

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Franco Cabachi

Posted: 2013-01-15 12:02 pm   Permalink

[/quote]
Franco, where did you hear or read that it was made with Pisco?
[/quote]

Actually is a recipe unearthed by Beachbumm Berry and Larry Dunn. This recipe appears in Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails - Deluxe Edition.

The recipe is:

1/2 ounce orgeat
2 ounces Bacardi Gold Rum
1 ounce Pisco Brandy
1/2 Plymouth Gin
1 ounce orange juice
2 ounces lemon juice
1/2 cream sherry.

Shake all the ingredients except Sherry. Float the Sherry on top.

What do u think? Greeting from Perú.

View Profile of Franco Cabachi Send a personal message to Franco Cabachi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 12:46 pm   Permalink

Thank you Franco, ordering that book right now...

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 01:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 12:46, Hale Tiki wrote:
Thank you Franco, ordering that book right now...

You won't be dissapointed Hale Tiki. I have over 60 cocktail books and that book is probably my most favourite of the lot. And although they're not Tiki drinks, if you like gin make sure you try the 'Golden Dawn', and what is probably one of my most favourite cocktails of all, 'The Avenue'. (I make mine with passionfruit syrup but cut it back a bit so it's not too sweet.)

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-16 03:59 am   Permalink

I just bought the book too. My cocktail book collection is also large and growing. It seems that for some of us a well-stocked bar goes hand-in-hand with a well-stocked bookshelf. I found that on occasion my good cocktail books make for good conversation when friends come over. It's very apparent that most folks don't seem to ever come to learn that there's a huge world of stuff out there that's very good to drink and worth taking the time to discover.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-16 05:09 am   Permalink

My cocktail bookshelf is overflowing, but one I always go back to (non-tiki) is "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails." I can't recommend it highly enough!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation