FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Tiki in Philadelphia?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki in Philadelphia?
Tiki_Tattoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-20 5:44 pm   Permalink

I'm heading to Philly in a few months and was wondering if there were any tiki hotspots there that anyone is aware of?

View Profile of Tiki_Tattoo Send a personal message to Tiki_Tattoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sgirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-20 7:36 pm   Permalink

I don't know about Tiki, but I highly recommend Cuba Libre: http://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/philly_index.php
They made the most amazing Mojitos. I've recently learned they have a great rum selection as well and that their secret in the Mojitos is the guarapo (sugar cane juice) they import.
We plan to make it an annual tradition when visiting family since the food was tasty too.

[ This Message was edited by: Sgirl 2007-09-20 19:45 ]

View Profile of Sgirl Send a personal message to Sgirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Tattoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-20 8:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks. I'll only be there for 3 days, but I'll put this one on my short list.

View Profile of Tiki_Tattoo Send a personal message to Tiki_Tattoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gnarled monkey

Posted: 2007-09-21 12:14 pm   Permalink

Greetings- There are no tiki bars in philadelphia. Tiki Bob's IS NOT TIKI...trust me. There is tatto shop on 4th street just off South st that has some nice tikis and a great giant mural of a wahini, but thats it. The only tiki bar that I am aware of is the Temple of the Gnarled Monkey...my home bar. With about 700 ft of bamboo, 2 thatched roofs, rattan walls and ceiling, water fountain, almost 200 mugs, and stuff from many different bars around the country I feel clean in saying that the Gnarled Monkey is the only authentic tiki bar in Philly. If you want, shoot me an email and maybe we can arrange a visit. Any tikiphiles in the philly area with home bars feel free to drop me a line as well and maybe we can swaps visits to each others bar. BEST OF LUCK
Potash
devilfishink@hotmail.com

View Profile of gnarled monkey Send a personal message to gnarled monkey  Email gnarled monkey Goto the website of gnarled monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-21 5:40 pm   Permalink

Have you posted any photos on any other link? Sounds tikiriffic!

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-25 7:32 pm   Permalink

Gnarled Monkey,

I'll put you on the list for the next luau in my tiki room up here in Allentown. Did you check out the tiki's at Neri Antiques on South St.? They are from Pub Tiki mostly and a few from Langerman's Luau. Keep in touch there are about 4 TCer's up here in the Lehigh Valley now.

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modbetty
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-16 10:03 am   Permalink

Hello! I am a new member, and thought I would share this info, which may be of interest of Philly/ PA tikiphiles:

Tonight is the debut of Tiki Tuesdays at Rum Bar. Enjoy $5 Tiki drinks, a special Polynesian menu, free Tiki chachkas and no one named Bob!

there is a list of the drinks and food they are offering at the link below.

http://foobooz.com/2008/01/tonight-tiki/#more-3858

I missed it yesterday but may have to investigate in the coming weeks!

Betty- who loves Kowloon,Mai Tais and Pupu platters, and over the holidays dragged the family to the South Pacific in Newton with the help of you all- thanks!! Now back in Tiki-less Pennsylvania....

[ This Message was edited by: modbetty 2008-01-16 10:05 ]

View Profile of modbetty Send a personal message to modbetty  Goto the website of modbetty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-16 10:48 am   Permalink

Betty,

Thanks for the 411. I've been meaning to get down and check out the Rum Bar anyhoo.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 11:10 am   Permalink

Definitely thanks for the info. Nicole and I may be in Philly in early April and I have no idea of the tiki scene. Cuba Libre and Rum Bar sound like a solid starting point. Gnarled - your place sounds fantastic as well - would love to see some pictures.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 5:42 pm   Permalink

Philly's greatest tiki temple The Kona Kai is long gone, but if you PM Tikinomad maybe he'll sell you an artifact from his collection.

Quote:

On 2007-12-28 06:30, Tikinomad wrote:
......well as long as I still have these pieces (and others from the Kona Kai) any TC'er who is ever in the area is welcome to visit! Just drop me a line.....

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 2:33 pm   Permalink

Are there any good liquor stores in Philly that stock hard-to-find things like Lemon Hart (80 and 151), Velvet Falernum, or Fee Brother's bitters?

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modbetty

Posted: 2009-10-05 09:48 am   Permalink

This seemed as good a place as any to let the Philly area tiki folks know about the Jacob Stelman photo exhibit at the Philadelphia Atenaeum. It runs until 11/7 and has a couple of really great photos of the Kona Kai as well as other fabulous and long gone storefronts and signage in the city. You can read more about it on Retro Roadmap here:

http://retroroadmap.com/2009/09/30/retro-roadmap-philly-meetup-at-vintage-photo-exhibit-103/

and scroll up to see a snapshot from my phone that shows the big photo of the Kona Kai exterior.

It's a neat exhibit and FREE!

View Profile of modbetty Send a personal message to modbetty  Goto the website of modbetty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-13 14:33, paranoid123 wrote:
Are there any good liquor stores in Philly that stock hard-to-find things like Lemon Hart (80 and 151), Velvet Falernum, or Fee Brother's bitters?

all booze is controlled in pa by the pa liquor control board; we have a very limited selection of anything.
on the bright side you can browse the catalog and order anything that is available:
http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/Product_Management/psi_ProductDefault_inter.asp

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 10:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-16 10:03, modbetty wrote:
Tonight is the debut of Tiki Tuesdays at Rum Bar. Enjoy $5 Tiki drinks, a special Polynesian menu, free Tiki chachkas and no one named Bob!

unfortunately rumbar has chosen to discontinue tiki tuesdays in favor of a more college friendly $2 tuesdays (bah)
you can still get many delicious classic and new tiki cocktails served in a tiki mug by request, and they still have volcano bowls for groups of 4 or more.
http://www.rum-bar.com/index.php

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modbetty

Posted: 2009-10-05 11:42 am   Permalink

At least they're trying to save the daquiri!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation