FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Basil Henriques Tiki or not ?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Basil Henriques Tiki or not ?
basilh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-20 11:45 pm   Permalink

Is this groups music Tiki ?
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/html/studio_2.html

Also Search iTunes for Basil Henriques, I know it's listed under 'Rock' but it really isn't anything but latin lounge music.

[ This Message was edited by: basilh 2009-03-10 11:12 ]

View Profile of basilh Send a personal message to basilh  Email basilh Goto the website of basilh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
basilh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-22 03:05 am   Permalink

I was just interested if my music qualified, primarily because of the Latin percussion (Played by Barry Morgan of Blue Mink) and the Hawaiian Guitar and vibes lead instruments.

AND The Sleeve notes by EMI :-

EMI Studio Two CD cat # 7243 4 98129 2 5

TWO-177 & TWO-218 CD
This is now a "Collector's" item

These are the Sleeve Notes.

In the same way that US masters of exotic music as Martin Denny and Les Baxter transported their listeners to mysterious tropical islands and ancient civilizations, Birmingham born Basil Henriques and his Waikiki Islanders managed to re-create a similar mirage on these two albums from the EMI Studio 2 series. Henriques destination was Hawaii, the unmistakable sound of which he expertly summoned up from the strings of his steel guitar, an instrument that was perfectly adapted to capture the mood and romance of the South Seas - with its golden beaches, palm trees and dramatic burning sunsets - and transport it into thousands of suburban homes across the UK. Basil Henriques was, for many mood music fans, the main supplier of instant sunshine. His vast repertoire included favourite songs from films such as Dr. Zivago and The Sound of Music, old favourites like "Strangers in The Night" and "Moon River" , together with popular hits such as Dusty Springfield's "Just Lovin' You" and Acker Bilk's eternal "Stranger On The Shore". For the latter Henriques imitates the sound of a soaring seagull with his instrument, an evocative and atmospheric touch which evokes dreams ( or maybe memories ) of balmier foreign climes.

Edwin Pouncey.
Produced by Ciara Nolan
Special thanks to Rob Owen
Design by EMI Art Department

Also, This guy thinks it's "Tiki"
http://thirdisland.blogspot.com/2007/08/impact.html

[ This Message was edited by: basilh 2007-09-22 03:40 ]

View Profile of basilh Send a personal message to basilh  Email basilh Goto the website of basilh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-22 2:06 pm   Permalink

Sure, why not. Looks like fun and pleasant stuff -- unless, contrary to appearances, you all are actually producing harsh, discordant noise with fascist lyrics about pillage and plunder. But that doesn't seem likely.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 02:46 am   Permalink

I have one of your albums from the early seventies (I guess). It is as Tiki as music got during that time. A hawaiian steel style with latin percussion - what more could we ask for? I think actually you used a pedal steel on the record I have, but it has a definite Santo & Johnny vibe anyway. You performances on

There’s also Poly from Brazil.

KK

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
basilh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-23 03:38 am   Permalink

Thanks (Mahalo) Thomas and Kawentzmann, You make me feel that I might have been on the right track.

Quote:
what more could we ask for? I think actually you used a pedal steel on the record I have

Yes pedal steel guitar, but 8 string in the style of the players from Hawaii of that era who ALSO used 8 string pedal, Jules Ah See, Billy Hew Len and many others were featured on recordings from the 50's / 60's. The Hawaii Calls shows and albums (Webley Edwards), Alfred Apaka and others of the top echelon, all used 8 string HAWAIIAN pedal steel guitar, usually a Fender or sometimes a Gibson Electraharp. The style was NOT as per the Country Genre and the technique DIDN't involve the use of the volume pedal (Except very occasionally)

I think it was somewhat embryonic in Hawaii at that time, but the majors in the Hawaiian music business accepted it, notably concealing its use by playing regular non pedal consoles on LIVE performances, and even picturing them on album sleeves. (A practice of not revealing all has been the wont amongst Hawaiian Guitarists since the inception of the instrument)

Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 07:05 am   Permalink

And I believe you. There’s nothing wrong with a pedal steel in this music, and why shouldn’t Hawaiians take to it, after creating the father of it, the lapsteel.
Tiki, as I think, is a celebration of primitivism. To have the music in tune with the carvings and interior design concepts - the tendency is to choose the more “primitive” form of the instrument. It’s the sound most people associate with the islands. Today, in the fifties and even our greatgrandfathers heard hawaiian themed music played on lapsteel guitars. It’s a cliché sound, but a key color in the soundscape.
To clarify my following words, to me Tiki music is more or less Exotica. It's a friendly music with lots of music-friends and -relatives. And if I would be asked if music is Tiki, I try to analyze how far it enters the Exotica camp.
The fun aspect about Exotica music (as opposed to polynesian folk music, f.e.) is that it doesn’t give much on authenticy. But it’s strong points are the vivid soundscapes that come from freely choosing sounds and mixing them. And latin-american and asian instruments are integral parts of the best recordings, playing side by side. The same goes for melody and harmony. There was no tune like Quiet Village played in Hawaii before Martin Denny. Yet most Exotica is associated with pacific islands. And rightly so, because sailors and farmworkers from faraway populated the area by the mid of the 19th century.
This cultural openess and variety is reflected in Trader Vic’s menu and decoration, but also in Exotica recordings from the heyday. In fact from anytime. The Roger Roger album we toppiced here a while ago, is space-age Exotica (as in: the eagles has landed). And Basil Henriques Hawaiian Honeymoon is Now-Sound Exotica.
So, when you have a colorful concoction, with a decidely, if foggy, island theme, you have good a chance of being Tiki!
Just my 2 cents.

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 07:51 am   Permalink

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/images/basil-pat-and-frank250.jpg

This place looks pretty Tiki to me, where was the photo taken?

[ This Message was edited by: Kawentzmann 2007-09-23 07:52 ]

Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 08:05 am   Permalink

Man, I clicked through your soundsamples, and one of the Castaway performances includes A Walk In The Black Forest. That’s exactly what I am talking about. If one has never heard the tune, the way you play makes it sound like a natural hawaiian guitar tune!
But to me being german, there’s another layer to it. Horst Jankowski was one of the best bandleaders we had at the time, and he was on tv a lot. Black Forest was his signature tune. I am getting really into your website now. It’s all so interesting, the sounds and pics!

http://www.kawentzmann.de

basilh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-23 09:14 am   Permalink

Walk in the Black Forest was typical of our repertoire then.
You ask about this picture and where it was :-

well it was our resident gig at the Castaways :-

Here is a present for you :-

Right click and "Save as"

and here is an example of our broadcast work that is most definitely Tiki..
Da Hill Sigh Oh

adventures in Paradise

These examples are for "Educational Purposes" only !!

And under no circumstances should anyone right click and Download as" any of the files here :- http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/The%20Radio%20Years/

VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-23 09:31 am   Permalink

I can't find anything on Amazon or iTunes....what search words are you using? Would love a cd.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
basilh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-23 09:49 am   Permalink

You can find it on iTunes by searching for Basil Henriques

or going to my web site and clicking on any of the album sleeve thumbnails and previewing the WHOLE content and buying via PayPal or standard credit card.
Thanks for the interest,
Basil

BTW, this would be the ranking on iTunes popularity by sales :-

[ This Message was edited by: basilh 2007-09-23 09:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: basilh 2007-09-23 09:58 ]

Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 11:39 am   Permalink

I feel quite educated now(even more than before)!

Thanks a lot, beautiful. Da HIll Sigh Oh, I have never heard before, is it an original?
Makes me think you could have done a killer rendition of Magic Is The Moonlight, no?
Yeah, and Adventures… that’s a great exotic melody, very Tiki.

Can anybody hear enough versions of Shadow Of You Smile? Me not! Never, and the movies start and end titles come up before my inner eye. A plane view over the (central?) California coastline. Such beauty…

[ This Message was edited by: Kawentzmann 2007-09-23 11:41 ]

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 12:11 pm   Permalink

Hey,

Good stuff. Whether it's "Tiki" or not depends on your view of what "Tiki" is....

If "Tiki" means "exotica", maybe not, but why put such a narrow scope on things ? Your Hawaiian sound, would go nivcely at a Luau or Tiki Bar, so I think it's TIKI...but that's just me.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-23 12:48 pm   Permalink

For some reason couldn't find it on iTunes....but did order through your site. Thanks for the screenshots though...just wouldn't come up for me.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 1:03 pm   Permalink

"Dahil Sayo" is actually a song from the Philippines, very well known in Hawaii. Sometimes called "This Song of Love"

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation