FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiDiego's Tiki Mug Shelfs! New boat shelf on page 2!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
TikiDiego's Tiki Mug Shelfs! New boat shelf on page 2!
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-22 2:23 pm   Permalink

I finally finished my latest tiki mug shelf. I'm pretty happy with the overall look and how it turned out. I tried to make it match with the turtle tank stand that I made last year. I opted not to use more Melina fabric, and instead used up the rest of the thatching that I bought for the turtle tank stand.

This was also my first attempt at wiring up tiki torches with flicker bulbs. After a lot of trial and error I learned that the Dremmel tool worked best for opening up the tins at the top of the torches.

As my wife calls it, it's another "Caltrans" project, because I was already way over capacity long before the project was even finished. Now I gotta go back to the drawing board and design a new shelf (and find a new wall) for even more mugs. Oh well, I guess there's worse problems to have in life.

So here it is, I hope you like it.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiDiego 2007-11-19 21:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiDiego 2008-01-08 20:59 ]

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-22 6:42 pm   Permalink

That turned out really well...nice design and blends in well with your other decorum. Now the turtle has some mug friends to hang with.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 10:39 am   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-19 9:47 pm   Permalink

Alrighty... so now I'm on to my next mug shelf project.

This one started over the weekend, after an awesome find at Kobey's Swap Meet. My wife spotted this weird item hidden behind a bunch of junk. Turns out it used to house some sort of Musak speaker system, which had been plundered out of it some time ago.

We instantly knew this had the potential to make a kickin' tiki mug shelf so we bought it. Only $15!

This is what it looked like when I got it home.

Plans are to repair the wood, install lighting in the wicker speaker housings, and put some sort of fabric background behind the center portion.

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-19 9:57 pm   Permalink

So tonight was my first session of work on it. I got the lights wired up. The coiled flourescent lights were for testing only. The lights I have installed right now are a sweet pair of globe lamps that give a nice warm glow.

I also installed some quick and easy mounting brackets so I could hang it up on the wall. Looks like this guy has sat on a floor for it's entire life.

I'm really pleased with it so far, and I can't wait to do some TLC on the wood and finish up with some nice fabric.

I hope you like it too!

By the way, other then a vague story about it housing some Musak speakers, I really don't know anything about this weird lookin' thing. My assumption is that it is handmade. I know it's old and it's awesome. That's about it. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiDiego 2007-11-19 21:58 ]

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-19 10:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-19 21:57, TikiDiego wrote:

SAWEEEEET!!

Great idea.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-20 05:32 am   Permalink

Gorgeous! It's like it was meant to be lighted.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-20 07:50 am   Permalink

-cool-...maybe putting some colored bulbs in place of the white ones my add more ambience...those squiggly bulbs now come in colors too, as do the regular "party lite" bulbs

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-20 08:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-20 07:50, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
-cool-...maybe putting some colored bulbs in place of the white ones my add more ambience...those squiggly bulbs now come in colors too, as do the regular "party lite" bulbs

I've Seen them at Walgreen's and CVS.
That is an awesome idea for a shelf & light system!!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-20 7:15 pm   Permalink

Both of those shelves look awesome, great job I really like the use of the $15 speaker mounts, great imagination

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-20 10:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the postive comments!

For the next step, I'm going to order a pair of small custom Bosko masks to mount on the front of the wicker speaker/light housings.

I'll post pics when the masks arrive and I get it all together.

Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-11-21 5:59 pm   Permalink

this is sweet, great idea to put the lights inside.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-04 09:19 am   Permalink

Keep up the good work homie!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-30 2:05 pm   Permalink

I'm glad you guys like it!
Hodadhank, my El Bastardo mug on the shelf came from the Boutiki! I love that place!

So I finally got my new custom Bosko Moai's on the shelf, and they look awesome! Check it out:

And of course, I've loaded it up with a bunch of Tiki mugs. It's pretty much as full as it can be right now, although I think I can fit maybe two more on the top shelf.

Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-30 5:43 pm   Permalink

Hey TikiDiego, You did a beautiful job on that mid century shelf. The Bosko heads perfectly send it over the top. I wish you were manufacturing these- I'd definitely need one.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation