FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Dan's stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Dan's stuff
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-16 06:17 am   Permalink

Nice logs, nice carvings and NICE SHOP!!! You've definitely got some skillz there my friend. Like Conga said, you'll eventually develop your own style and you wont even have to look at someone elses work before you start hacking away at a log. I'm still waiting for that day to come for me

What is that 'scooter' looking bench thing with the bicycle wheels you have the moai sitting on? That looks like a handy unit to have around.

to change your thread title: log in, go to your first post and click the EDIT button at the bottom of your first post and that will show your current title in an editable text field.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-16 07:40 am   Permalink

Benzart- Thank you so much. Your comments always keep me motivated.
Howland- Thank you too, I can't wait until people see a piece and say thats its one of mine.
The workshop is 20X30. I started in woodworking making furniture and small carvings. It was a hobby and I went crazy with it. The shop is also my personal man space (the house is the girls), its equipped with surround sound, cable, and a well stocked fridge for when the workday is done. Since I developed the Tiki Fever, I may have to add on. The rolling work bench is a creation made from an old wooden lawn cart that rotted and some left over treated material I had from another project. I live north of Houston and you never know what the weather is going to do, so it comes in handy when I need to move inside, or when the wife wants me to move it out of sight.

I will be posting more picks this afternoon of the progress of my version of the LeRoy. Thank you again for all the kind words.

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-16 5:23 pm   Permalink

I promised some update pics so here the are:

I managed to get this beast in the shop and will get the final shaping done in the evenings. Thank you again for all your replies.

Dan

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 5:12 pm   Permalink

Looking realy good, nice size logs you got there.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-24 3:07 pm   Permalink

Merry Christmas TC. Where oh where are my new carving tools? UPS didn't bring them yet. I haven't carved in a week and its driving me nuts. I've been doing something for a friend and it just about killed me. Not Tiki but I will post a pick just so you can see what takes me away from my tiki time. That's me in the pic to give a size comparison.

Here are some updates to the LaRoi.

Maybe Wednesday I will get to carve. Hope everyone is having a safe and happy holiday.

Dan

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-24 5:22 pm   Permalink

Excellent Leroy BaliDan I Love how you have really gone Deep with your Detail,,Beautiful and the Castle is top shelf too!
Hope your new toolz come soon so we can see M ore nice stuff!.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-28 04:39 am   Permalink

Danny boy- nice LaRoi! i dig it. hope you had a merry christmas and all that jazz- i need to get off my ass and carve something. I'll try to make it down to see you soon

ciao
jay

Hypnotiki Idols & Charms

View Profile of hypnotiki Send a personal message to hypnotiki  Email hypnotiki Goto the website of hypnotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-03 07:42 am   Permalink

It's been a little while, but I do have some updates. LaRoi is finished, and sitting in his new location (until someone wants to buy him). Hope you guys like him.

I also did this quickie mask for a co-worker.

Hope everyone has a great new year. Got to go out and get started on the next log.

Thank you all,

Dan

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 2:52 pm   Permalink

I really like how the grain line came popping out on him.
He looks fantastic nice work.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-03 07:42, Bali_Dan wrote:
It's been a little while, but I do have some updates. LaRoi is finished, and sitting in his new location (until someone wants to buy him). Hope you guys like him.

Great work Dan! Good luck on the sales, but I hope you're keeping one for yourself.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-04 2:12 pm   Permalink

Benz- Thank you, your replies are always encouraging.
Hypno- Thanks, and yes you need to start carving again.
Seeks- Thank you too, I used a pencil torch on the whole thing so I could have better control of the heat. Took awhile but the result was worth it.
BigT- Thanks as well, look forward to seeing number 3 from you. Don't really try to sell them too much just yet. Just seems each time one gets done someone comes along and wants it. But don't worry, there's plenty in the yard to look at right now.
Thank you everyone for looking, I am off to carve.

Dan

Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-04 4:57 pm   Permalink

Dan, that's a sweet tiki, totally like the way you finished it !
Being new to carving, I'd like to know what kind of wood you used and how you got the grain stick out that cool in the end.

Mahalo,

Bobo

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 6:30 pm   Permalink

The tiki looks good. Great depth which is something many carvers initially seem to miss. I like the quickie tiki too. It has attitude. Many times tikis like the quickie one bum me out(I've made a few myself) because they look cheesey. My knee-jerk internal reaction was exactly that until I looked a bit more. That thing is sweet. Wall panels done like that would really help to tie a room together. (shut the f up Donnie).
Cheers.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-05 09:02 am   Permalink

TraderBob- Thanks, the wood is yellow pine. Hypnotiki and I found it on a local golf course and they let us pick it up. The grain is done by burning it. I used a pencil torch so I could control the heat better. The other thing is I got lucky it worked out allright.
Matt- Thank you for the compliment. I have been trying to go deep since I was told to do so by TC. A couple of times I have gone too far, but hey its all about practice and learning. That mask was red oak and well aged (hard as a rock).

Thank you everyone,

Dan

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-06 12:55 pm   Permalink

I must say Dan, those a very awesome!
You should get you a site made where you can sell these guys, I love the adstract look you have done on the face masks!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation