FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hukilau Lounge , Kalamazoo. Come curious....leave fulfilled. Now with real ATOMIC goodness !!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hukilau Lounge , Kalamazoo. Come curious....leave fulfilled. Now with real ATOMIC goodness !!
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 2:11 pm   Permalink

Welcome to our home lounge.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2014-01-12 04:50 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 9:19 pm   Permalink

That's wild... I have a friend in Racine, WI that has the same kind of shuffleboard floor in his basement bar. Did it come with your place or did you put it down?

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kabuddhabuddha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-26 05:45 am   Permalink

Looking forward to seeing that done.
Do you have the disks and poles for the shuffle board? If so we need to break them out next summer after some drinks.
Keep it up.

View Profile of Kabuddhabuddha Send a personal message to Kabuddhabuddha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboobeavis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-26 1:44 pm   Permalink

The pattern on that paper is sweet Uncle Trav, looks like a good choice to cover that white tile with.

View Profile of bamboobeavis Send a personal message to bamboobeavis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-26 1:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks for taking a look. To answer a couple of the questions. The shuffle board was in the bar when we moved in. I do have the pucks and the poles, all original. The bar was built same time as the house 1950 and that's when the shuffle board was laid with the tile. I'll post more pics of the ceiling job a bit later. Thanks again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-30 5:22 pm   Permalink

I did a little more work on the ceiling today. Got all the paper up and some of the bamboo trim.

This is how it looks with the mood lighting, looks better in person any way.

This with the mood killing white light.

Still have a little more to do. Feels better than the old white ceiling.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2007-09-30 17:54 ]

suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-30 5:42 pm   Permalink

Looks great!

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 6:20 pm   Permalink

A little more done on the ceiling. I'm no carver so I bought some small pre-finished aspen wood 1 1/2" x 1/2" and went after it with a Dremel tool. I picked an easy design. Some what like a design I have on edge detail of a tapa I have down in the lounge. I drew the design on in pencil and used de-burring bit to cut the design.

After cutting the design I sanded the trim down and rounded the edges. I should have stained the wood but I got lazy and painted it.

Last I highlighted the edge of the zig-zag in mat black paint and the diamond in another lighter earth tone. Cut to fit and installed with screws counter sunk through a couple of the "dot" details. I think it looks best in the mood lighting. It was a first attempt at this kind of thing and should do until I can pick up a few more skills. Thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2007-10-08 18:35 ]

Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 6:48 pm   Permalink

That tapa print paper was a real amazing score. Looks great over your bar. Nice job on the trim. I have'nt seen one of those shuffleboard tile floors since I was a kid in the 70's. Way cool.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kabuddhabuddha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-09 4:22 pm   Permalink

Looks too cool Uncle Trav. Can't wait to get back up there and enjoy another amazing night at the Hukilau Lounge. You did a great job on the whole deal. Sissy say's post pictures of your Fabulous 400 and the rest of your house.

View Profile of Kabuddhabuddha Send a personal message to Kabuddhabuddha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-09 5:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks Kabuddhabuddha. You and SavageSissy are our favorite customers. Mai Tais are always flowing. I may post the rest of the house circa 1959 on the beyond tiki thread sometime. "Blast from the cool past". I did put up a new mood light tonight. Took one of my hanging mask and put red craft paper behind the cutouts and a 7 watt bulb behind. No fire danger the bulb is plenty cool. I got a couple of bar stools with your names on them. COME ON UP!!!

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 5:55 pm   Permalink

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 8:03 pm   Permalink

Trav, that is one warm looking but extremely cool place. I really love the atmosphere. It looks like such a great place to hang out with family and friends.
...and I know I've said it before...but that shuffleboard court is sooo awesome.
We had one in our garage when we were growing up and my brother and sister and I spent quite a few rainy Saturdays holding 'super-de-duper-galactic shuffleboard championships' (re-matches had longer and more dramatic titles the longer we played).
Anyway, hope you have a great weekend!!

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-27 06:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Pupu. I thought I would add a fun touch to the home lounge and came up with some cocktail menus. I wanted a vintage feel so I used a mix of classic menu images and edited them and added the cocktail names and printed them out on heavy card stock.

Front

Inside

Back

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-03-27 06:36 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-27 07:02 am   Permalink

Trav,

Those menus are fantastic, great idea. How did you produce them?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation