FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hukilau Lounge , Kalamazoo. Come curious....leave fulfilled. Now with real ATOMIC goodness !!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Hukilau Lounge , Kalamazoo. Come curious....leave fulfilled. Now with real ATOMIC goodness !!
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-27 09:19 am   Permalink

Those are awesome, Trav!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 4:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. The menus are fairly easy to make. I scanned or imported the menu image into the computer and used the paint feature to "airbrush" out any text. Next I choose the font style and color for the new text and added the cocktail names. I used the print feature on my scanner and printed the menu out on heavy card stock. I used a standard sheet of card stock with the front and back images on one side of the card stock and the interior of the menu on the other side. Fold in half and you have a menu size perfect for the home lounge. Here's is a better image of the inside of one I did.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 10:09 am   Permalink

Beautiful menu's Trav, thirsty just looking at them!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 5:12 pm   Permalink

I think Big Kahuna and myself may be the only two people to use high explosives as a decor feature in our home bars. A big vintage WWII one hundred pound practice bomb. Is it Tiki, no. Do I like it, oh yes. That's a full size bottle of rum for size comparison.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2013-02-22 17:23 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 5:39 pm   Permalink

Love the high explosives Uncle Trav!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 6:52 pm   Permalink

Kaboom

That's da bomb...

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-23 4:09 pm   Permalink

Your place is the bomb...that is for sure. Thanks for sharing how you did those menus, might give it a spin some day.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 10:49 am   Permalink

Whoa!! Ordinance makes a fine decoration!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 08:58 am   Permalink

Things have been quiet in the home bar lately. The sudden and unforeseen demise of my 1950's Kelvinator fridge has put a damper on recent festivities. Getting that huge ancient sarcophagus out of the basement will be akin to Howard Carter dragging King Tut into the daylight after a long slumber. On a lighter note, this summer has been good for finding all kinds of vintage additions for the bar. First up is this vintage resin pirate ship's figurehead. Molded to look like carved wood and a perfect size for the bar. I had two people try and buy the thing at the same time I was paying for it. I will post more as I move things around and try to fit in the new finds but that's all part of the fun of a home bar. Thanks for taking a look.

TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-01 12:34 pm   Permalink

Nice figurehead, Trav... time to break out the grog!

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 11:55 pm   Permalink

That must have come from a small ship!

Sorry for making this an example, but it is a good one, and I will, for those who are confused:

No, a pirate is NOT "Tiki Style" - by itself that is. But Trav is not saying it is. When a piece like this becomes part of a thoroughly Tiki-ed out environment like the Hukilau Lounge, it adds to the "Seven Seas/ Armchair Explorer" atmosphere that is the essence of a good Tiki hideaway.

Would this be a room full of Pirate decor, and a Tiki figurehead would be added to it, it would be an entirely different matter/ genre. Sorry to point out what might seem like the obvious to many, but I felt it might help clarify things for some.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 05:03 am   Permalink

Yes. Sven is correct. The figurehead is not Tiki and I passed up buying the piece at the show a couple of times the day I saw it. On my way out of the show I decided to pick it up. The small size helped me think I could fit it in with the other decor in the lounge. I have a few other pieces of nautical junk that work well and and help add to the escapism feel of the whole space. One of the things I love about having visitors over for cocktails is watching them stroll around the bar in the dim light and see new things every time they visit. The history and stories of Polynesian palaces long gone help create an atmosphere that is warm and inviting. I don't consider my home bar a museum but the items contained in it do tell a story and that is a big part of the fun for me. Voyaging beyond my home port doesn't take me far and I have been very lucky to have found many rare an fun pieces for the bar. I think Sven mentioned at one point that clutter is a very important part of a good Tiki bar. I really have that part down to a science. I'll post more photos of the clutter soon. Thanks for stopping by.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 07:33 am   Permalink

Or: A Tiki Lounge is like a good movie: You can view it again and again and not get bored, and discover something new every time.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 08:07 am   Permalink

uncle trav,

I've got a bomb hanging in my bar too, gotta have that!

-Longboard

[ This Message was edited by: Longboard 2013-11-04 08:08 ]

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 1:26 pm   Permalink

Haha !! Gotta love the bomb for its decorative appeal. Here is another find that's not shown in the earlier photos of the lounge. I found this Witco Wahine chair in a small village here in Southern Mi. The man who owned it for a number of years said it was the centerpiece of his American Indian display. Many women who have sat in this chair in the bar have soon after become pregnant !!! Just kidding. I wish I could show the mood lighting better in the photos but my phone camera won't let me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation