[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mug Collecting
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Mug Collecting
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 10:51 am   Permalink

Hey Gang,

Being fairly new to mug collecting, I was wondering what are some of the "holy grails" of mug collecting. What should I be looking for? I belong to Ooga-Mooga, and check this out regularly. I already have about 30 mugs, with about 20 of them from Tiki Farm. Just looking for some guidance, and the challenge of those hard-to-find mugs.

Cheers!

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 11:03 am   Permalink

Try looking at other Ooga-Mooga user's wishlists. That's a quick and easy reference to what people are longing for.

The only mug I ever really obsessed over was the Mainlander mug. But then I managed to trade for one with Tiki Matt.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 11:15 am   Permalink

Tiki-Kate hit it on the button..
Also look for Limited Edition numbered mugs and Vintage Resturant/Bar Mugs
(Steve Crane,Frankoma,Hawaiian Village,Don the Beachcomber,Pub Tiki,etc)
And go get a book called TikiQuest by Duke Carter.
Its got over 180 pages of Exotic Collectables.. Good Luck

[ This Message was edited by: notch 2007-09-28 11:50 ]

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 12:22 pm   Permalink

Frankoma War Gods, definately MY holy grails!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 12:54 pm   Permalink

OK, just bought TikiQuest. Keep those holy grails coming..

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 1:58 pm   Permalink

.......careful Rick, you might catch the fever!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 2:01 pm   Permalink

IMHO, you're going about this ALL WRONG!! Why start chasing all the rare, pricey mugs everyone ELSE wants???????? That's nuts! Go after the ones YOU like and screw the herd--and save some dough!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 2:06 pm   Permalink

Well spoken Pappy! This was just one of those questions I had to throw out as a semi-newbie.

Cheer$!

Rick

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 2:11 pm   Permalink

Actually, that's not to say you shouldn't have a working knowledge of what people want... I got that Luau 400 mug for nearly no money and just sold it quite some. And because *I* wasn't emotionally involved, it's easy to send him off to his new home.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 3:25 pm   Permalink

I'm with Pappy... Collect what you like.
Here's a good thread though
Holy Grail. It goes waay back and has a lot of good reference. For me it's all about the hunt.
Aloha,

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Royale 2007-09-28 15:25 ]

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 3:37 pm   Permalink

The two mugs that usually fetch the most on Ebay is the red Frankoma War God and the Ren Clark Severed Head.

Personally, I'm after the Steven Crane Ku and Tongue mugs...which, by the way, I'm willing to trade a
Voodoo Grog glass for. Check my wish list on Ooga Mooga

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2007-09-28 15:51 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 6:03 pm   Permalink

Well I'm sitting here looking at the new, the vintage, the limited editions, the cool ones that TC artists have done and some dust. I have to say that I prefer the hunt out in the wild but I also like to get a bargain on eBay or get a Poptiki, Cammo, Ocea Otica or Crazy Al mug to name a few. Having fun that's what the "mugs" are all about for me. So Ooga Mooga's a great resource and so is Tiki Finds. Keep searching the mugs are out there! Ooh & my holy grail right now is a Kowloon mug!

Tikisgrl

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 9:46 pm   Permalink

I'm partial to the limited edition BarTiki Mug.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-29 06:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-28 21:46, Tiki Matt wrote:
I'm partial to the limited edition BarTiki Mug.

Shameless Fluff...

Oh & by the way my favorite mug also a Kowloon Mug!

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-29 7:40 pm   Permalink

I am pretty new to collecting mugs too. I will never have the great collections that so many people have, but if I had the money...I might. I would like an original Mr Bali Hai...I have a repo so at least I have a little solace.

Ooga Mooga is amazing to look at, there are so many fabulous mugs it is bind-boggling.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation