FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Traderbob's carvings, new stuff, june 17
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Traderbob's carvings, new stuff, june 17
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-01 02:12 am   Permalink

Aloha,

I made my first attempts in carving this weekend while being bored at work =)

Nothing fancy, as I've seen in other first carving posts, but thought I'd share this with you.
I took the photos late at night with bad lighting.

I made this one only with the small blade of a swiss army knife, the wood is from an about 2 inch long toy sailboat:

the second one is made of the same wood, but I went to buy some carving tools:

Then I started this, which is far from finished (and I'm not sure if I'm going to like it yet):
Note the small blood stain =)

Since all of this was more or less a quick start without any plan or sketches, I am going to look for sources for better (larger) wood and find more advice and inspiration.

Oh and, I'd like to seal these 2 small tikis, do you have any recommendations ?

Mahalo,

Bobo

[ This Message was edited by: Traderbob 2007-10-23 03:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Traderbob 2008-01-02 16:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Traderbob 2008-03-18 17:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Traderbob 2008-05-20 15:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Traderbob 2008-05-25 19:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Traderbob 2008-06-16 15:57 ]

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 04:19 am   Permalink

cool man, your boss must be proud ,lol.

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 11:10 am   Permalink

Definitely good stuff man YOU must be proud, I know I would be if they were my first. don't stop now keep looking for more wood. I would stain this guy and get a can of spray lacquer and finish it with that. It dries fast and you can put stveral coats on in a couple hours, sanding in between. Excellent!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-01 4:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks benzart, I am going to get some stain and lacquer. The 2 small ones are about the size of a lighter, so it will probably hard to sand the details. What tools are people using for sanding small tikis ? I though about getting a dremel, but I am going to wait until I'm back in Europe, since the ones they sell here won't work with 220volts.

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-05 01:32 am   Permalink

Well, I did a little bit more carving on the bigger one, but I had no real concept for it. I made no sketch, just started carving the head and had no idea about the body etc. So I abandoned it for now.

But after 4 hours of carving and 1 hour of sanding with paper I almost finished this guy. This time I took the time to make a sketch from the front and the side. It's made from a block of bass wood. I really like it and I never thought how relaxing it is to carve

I am going to sand it a bit more tomorrow.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 01:45 am   Permalink

nice work, and a big jump in quality too! Yeh, its nice and realxing isnt it?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-06 03:10 am   Permalink

He's my preferred look for a tiki.
Really good job!

View Profile of gibgib Send a personal message to gibgib  Email gibgib Goto the website of gibgib     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-07 01:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback,

I finished this guy today after some more sanding. I stained it and will decide to put lacquer on it or not when it's dry tomorrow. I don't want it to be too shiny in the end. I'll post some pictures of the final version.

This is getting addictive, I prepared another block today and have some ideas ...

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-07 05:45 am   Permalink

Oh YEAH it's addicting! More more more.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-07 10:06 am   Permalink

traderbob: nice progress! Great idea for the backgrounds too. U kinda made your own tiki photography studio.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-23 03:55 am   Permalink

Aloha!

Thanks for the feedback. I am moving overseas in a week, so I didn't have much time for carving.

But I got some new tools and couldn't resist to try them out:

First an update, the finished "enchanted tiki" after some more sanding and staining:

Then my flexcut "detail knife" arrived and in a hurry, I had no idea what to do and pretty much copied Benzart's lesson tiki. I a, not really satisfied with it, except with the mouth, but learned a lot:

Then I had a very small block of wood left over (less than 2 inches) and started this at the office. Now I have to figure out how to get the cord through the rest of the small holes I drilled. I also have to find some artificial hair. I've read that people use horse hair, but that's not an option being vegan. I'll probably just start all over again an carve a better head soon.

Here's what I started yesterday, I now have the small flexcut 11 piece set and love it so far:

I hope I can finish it before I leave, will post some updates soon.

Cheers,

Bobo

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 04:58 am   Permalink

Beautiful work Trader Bob. Keep tehm coming.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 3:05 pm   Permalink

Absolutely amazing stuff. My opinion is, you got it right from the start.
I like it much, very straight.

It all looks like basswood, or have you tried some other recently? Basswood is my favorit, too. Although there is less grain to haul out, its easy to carve. I still haven´t found a cheap source for that wood here in germany.

Thanks for noticing my post. To answer your question, I live in NRW, bit too far from Munich. But you have the chance to easy visit HAIKAI, his hut will be much closer when you are back. I thought about that a couple of times myself, but we never had contact . I thought, I was unworthy with my pair ofs, but hey, he read my post an replied. That is a nice start.

Keep on, and feel free to post me a PM.

tok-tok

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-23 4:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments.

tok-tok:
Yes it's all basswood, I like it so far because it seems to be beginner friendly
Too bad that it seems hard to get in Germany.

What kind of wood do people in Germany use to carve ? I'd like to carve some bigger tikis soon, but have to wait until I'm back.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 5:09 pm   Permalink

You got it down brother, let the chips fly.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation