FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Traderbob's carvings, new stuff, june 17
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Traderbob's carvings, new stuff, june 17
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 07:21 am   Permalink

These all are lookin' great. I really like your take on the Moai. Cool stuff!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 1:08 pm   Permalink

Nice job! Can't wait to see the next one

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-20 3:37 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

first of all, thanks for all the nice comments on my last photos.

Here are new photos:

The moai lamp I posted earlier has a mount for the bulb. I still don't really like the ikea lamp shade, when I find the materials and time, I'll make my own one.

It's standing on my new project, a 40cm block of fresh smelling basswood.

Tonight, I finally finished the cherry marquesan, which was a pain to carve with palm tools. I just stained it in walnut and will post some more photos when it's dry:

Then I made this small balsa moai yesterday:

And here's one of the frames I carved, glueing the parts together was quite hard without the tools, so it's not even. But I ordered some clamps and already carved the parts for a bigger one.

I hope you enjoy them. I am also planning to visit the Wassermusik festival in Berlin to see Waitiki and Don Tiki, it would be cool to meet some carvers over there.

Greetings from Munich,

Bobo

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 6:57 pm   Permalink

Woah, Excellent stuff BOBO. I Really love the different tikis you are doing. Keep it up.and take More progress shots so we can see the steps you go thru!
Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 9:20 pm   Permalink

Some very fine works of art going down there.
The marquesan and the moai are fantastic.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 11:25 pm   Permalink

HI Bobo,

You got some super work here.
I love the lamp but how did you do the hole for the cable in a long piece like this one ?

The marq is very good and will be even better with the stain.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-25 7:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha and thanks for the replies,

here are some updates from the tropical shores of the Paulaner brewery

The marquesan is stained in walnut now:

Then while it was drying I took a leftover piece of cherry and made a pendant for my sister's birthday. It's stained with magahoni color:

While the cherry was drying I made this quick moai pendant, I have to stain it once more and then put laquer on it, because it is so soft.

And here's the frame I carved a while ago. Now I have a clamp and it was much easier to glue:

And here's a building I can see from my window. I don't have to go to Trader Vic's to see Tiki in Munich

I hope you enjoy the photos !

Benzart, thanks for the kind words, you are right, I should take more progress shots. Here's what I just started:

Seeksurf, thanks for the nice comments.

Benella, the lamp moai is not too big, it's 20-25cm. I borrowed a very long drill from my dad, which went almost through. I drilled from both sides, so the hole is not perferctly centered. I also carved a small "tunnel" on the bottom from the back where the cable comes out.

Time to go to bed now, I'll try to post some updates next weekend.

Cheers,

Bobo

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 01:37 am   Permalink

Thanks for the reply Bobo.

Your new pieces are very nice.
The piece of wood you've drawn will be a super cool one for sure.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-16 3:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

time to post some stuff I made in the last week. The weather here really sucked recently so I didn't have the chance to work on the bigger one much more. I wish I was back in California...

So I made these small ones in my living room:

basswood tongaroa. Btw, is this the correct word, or is it "tangaroa" for the Cook Islands god of the sea/fishermen ?

Then I made a Ku head from a smaller piece of leftover basswood. It's almost finished, just needs some more sanding and then stain:

And tonight I started a smaller version of the full body Ku. I had to stop, after I got a nasty cut on my palm through the kevlar clove

I hope the hand is better tomorrow so I can finish it.

Does anyone know an alternative to stain for basswood ? When I stain it, the wood soaks it up too much in some places, would it be better to use wax or oil ? Or should I maybe be more gentle with the stain ?
Talking about wax, are there alternatives for wood which do not contain beeswax ? I am a vegan, so I don't want to use animal products.

Greetings from rainy Bavaria,

Bobo

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 8:04 pm   Permalink

The stuff looks great!
i like the little red guy

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 10:47 pm   Permalink

NICE all 3 are looking great.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-17 1:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments, I probably won't be carving in the next days, the cut on my hand is worse than I thought.
I hope it will be ok until the weekend

AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 2:05 pm   Permalink

Aloha Bobo,

hope your finger is OK
Your Tiki's are great, i love the new basswood KU Head - great lines
for staining basswood Tiki i use normaly this french Broux de noix/Nussschalenbeize and
after than the wood had the right darkness i finishe with Bienenwachs for the brilliance
try it out
thanks for your reply on my topic - i will take a big look on the Wedding Aku:-)
I'm german too and i knew this crazy wedding game !!!

keep on the great work
bye Akuae

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation