FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Tropics, Lincoln, IL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Tropics, Lincoln, IL (restaurant)
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 07:34 am   Permalink

I took some pics of The Tropics in 2006 and used them in a blog post about Lincoln this year: http://www.thelope.com/2008/02/lincoln-illinois.html

While doing so, I found a photo online of the exterior circa 1950 and got permission to include it in the post.

The website from which I took the photo has more info on The Tropics in context with its city: http://www.geocities.com/findinglincolnillinois/rte66overview.html

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pafundi

Posted: 2009-05-23 05:52 am   Permalink

I remember we would stop at the tropics in Lincoln IL on our trips from St Louis to Chicago in the 70's and early 80's. It was never really "tropical" inside. Just burgers and stuff. They closed for remodeling and never reopened that I can remember.

McDonalds and other places like that really hurt them.

~~~~~

Number of Operations Iraq Freedom and Enduring Freedom casualties
as confirmed by U.S. Central Command: 4963

View Profile of pafundi Send a personal message to pafundi  Goto the website of pafundi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-28 12:20 pm   Permalink

Here is anothe postcard I picked up from the Tropics showing an interior shot of Lou's Smorgasbord. You can see some nice bamboo trim work and some fish floats.

Nothing to sexy, just adding it for the historical record.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-31 4:07 pm   Permalink

a variation on the other matchbook posted earlier.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-02 5:09 pm   Permalink

Found a great placemat for the Tropics a couple of weeks ago. One of the drinks in the rendering has a rebel flag as a garnish. These have got to be one of the hardest paper items to find for a Polynesian restaurant.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-02 10:49 pm   Permalink

Trav,

Great find. Very hard to come by those place mats indeed.

I wonder where they got the idea to incorporate the New Caledonian door post carving on the place-mat? Really out of context for everything else they did at the Tropics.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-03 12:46 pm   Permalink

I believe that is borrowed from a Trader Vic's menu. Vic used lotsa New Caledonian door posts in his early places. I proposed it for a T.V.'s mug, once.

Great place mat, indeed the rarest of all paper ephemera to find, as they were made to get soiled and tossed instantly.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-19 12:29 pm   Permalink

I got this matchbook that has a nice rendering of the Tropics sign.

A quick google maps search shows that the sign is still there (amazingly). Hope it ends up in a museum some day.

DC

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-04-29 10:54 pm   Permalink

Here's a great article on The Tropics forwarded to me by the author Jessica Lema. Thanks Jessica!

Remembering The Tropics: Lincoln, Illinois' Route 66 roadside oasis

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation