[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Other bone carvings - 2008
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Other bone carvings - 2008
Sebastian Urresti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-01 10:20 am   Permalink

Dear Friends,

Here are som images of my first Moai, a friend from NZ asked me to carve him one and in my research of images I lurked some of our Masters works here at TC. Paipos and Cabanillas works really inspired me A LOT! Thanks for that friends.
So, Im posting some pictures hoping to receive your comments on him, please if you feel that you must make a critic comment, please, go ahead and feel free to make it. I need to make some cleaning and finish the head holes, Im doing them by hand because I dont want to ruin it. Next time Ill post some pictures of the five tools that Im using to carve it. I use one chisel and four Stephen Myhres number one tool in different sizes. The Moai is 4,9 x 2,1 x 0,8 cm (almost 2 inches tall).

Hope you like him!

Hugs,

Sebas

[ This Message was edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-05 09:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2008-12-08 05:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2008-12-08 06:08 ]

View Profile of Sebastian Urresti Send a personal message to Sebastian Urresti  Goto the website of Sebastian Urresti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 10:58 am   Permalink

Excellent work Sebastian! It looks like you are an experienced carver, you got such perfect detail on this guy. Do you have any other pieces you care to show us>
WELCOME to Tiki Central!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 11:18 am   Permalink

Very nice! Congrats!! What kind of bone do you use?
I'm very happy to see an other Argentinian here! Best wishes!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 3:30 pm   Permalink

Wow, nice work...thanks for the credit for some of the inspiration. You have done a really good job of squeezing a bold form into a flat slab of bone. I really like the subtle relief work on the back - beautifully executed. The only critique I can offer (and this is a matter of personal preference I guess) is that the fingers are usually very long and tapered rather than naturalistic, and they are one of my favourite embellishments of the Rapa Nui style.
I'm sure you must have more to share with us...I saw some of your braiding tutorials on the carver's path just the other day. (Small world!) It's also great to see someone using gravers on TC. A friend of mine in Japan is a superb netsuke carver, and gleaned much of his early knowledge and techniques from Stephen Myhre's book.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sebastian Urresti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-01 4:30 pm   Permalink

Hi folks!
Dear Benzart, thanks for the post, Ive been carving for some years nw but this whole year has been a little different from the rest. Thanks for the detail comments, I use two different Optivisor magnifiers a 5x and a 10x for the small details. I have some photos that I will post in the next days, I already post some works in my presentation post and on the Maori meaning post also. Right now Im starting some new carvings, so more photos will be posted.
Dear Clarita! Amiga! Of course that is nice to see somebody else from Argentina in this big TC family! As I told you in the PM I use cow bone from the legs. I dont use the bones from the cow "hands" though.
Dear Paipo, Master Carver from Aotearoa, thanks for the post, Im flattered by your comments and critics about my Moai. We have some descent cows and you can get a nice slab from them, though we eat them very young and if you get an older bone the slab can be thicker. As for the fingers, you are absolutely right, this is actually the "second" Moai, my first one decided to FLY once that it was almost finished and he had his fingers long tappered, but he suicide himself on my workshop floor... As I told Benzart, I have some other pictures to share. Oh yes, TCP is my first Forum and I keep a special place for it and their artist. As for Kumihimo, well, is the kind of braids that I use, you can imagine that by living in Soth America, the only thing that we really know about the Polynesia are the All Blacks and the Moai, the rest of the culture is an entire world to discover. I read that Cabanilla use a hawaiian braiding style but I couldnt see it in the internet yet. I only use gravers, as I told in the post, chisels and SMs tools, I couldnt figure out how the number 2 looks like, if you have any clue, PLEASE help me in this one. I did my tools with silver steel and then hardened and quenched it (is this how you write it? Hope so) I use Arkansas stones to keep them sharp and they can hold it very well. Carve bone is not easy as you need very sharp tools every time. Wow, Netsuke is not for amateurs. Have you ever tried to do some netsuke in stone? Im sure that some japanese collectors would be interested in your pieces. I want to get another book but its out of print, its called Treasured Taonga, do you know it?
Well, Thanks for all the comments and the time spent looking at my pictures. Tomorrow Ill take a photo of my tools.
Hugs,

Sebas

View Profile of Sebastian Urresti Send a personal message to Sebastian Urresti  Goto the website of Sebastian Urresti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 11:50 pm   Permalink

I think your moai is turning out very well, very nicely formed Moai with interesting proportions, he's seems almost to be a sort of Moai/buddha/bodhisatva...
OHM!
ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 01:12 am   Permalink

Very nice carvings! But the birdman on the back are the highlight - they really set it off. Welcome to TC!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 04:02 am   Permalink

Sebastian,

That is a mighty fine looking Moai. Very elegant. I agree with Paipo about the fingerz, but I don't think they stand out or detract from the piece. They actually fit in there quite nicely. I love the shallow relief work too; it really shows your skill level. I have one of Big Benz's Moai carvings here and it has Birdmen on the back also. I often leave him in "time-out" so I can see the work back there .

Bravo Sebastian.....please show us more!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2007-10-02 04:04 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-10-02 07:42 am   Permalink

Very nice job, I like the body shape and the precise carving on the back.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sebastian Urresti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-02 7:15 pm   Permalink

Hi friends,

First I want to thank you all for your comments about my carvings, to tell you the truth I didnt expect your answers so soon, so, Thanks Again.
Sneakytiki, thanks for your point about proportion, I did study the real Moai and I used my "eye measuring" to keep his proportions. I did a version of the small ones where the head is almost 2 1/2 times repeated to do his body. Thanks for the comparission with Buda, I think that maybe his expression is a peacefull one, sort of Buda-meditation-expression-like.
Hewey, for phrase is GREAT! Couldnt agree more with it. I thought about "tattooing" his back, thought those Moais arent the originally ones "tattooed" those were the ones with hats. But, hey, all is valid in name of art!
GMAN, yeah youre right about the fingers as Paipo said, but once that the arms were lined I did the wrong angle to do his fingers long, so I decided to go on a more human-like hands design. Do you have a photo of your Moai? Im curious about it.
Tahitiki, Thanks for the comment, If you look at it I wanted to do a male anf female Manu Tangata on his back. The one on the left is supposed to look like the and the right one as the boy, one is thicker and the other has subtle lines and eyes.
Well, as I promissed here are the photos of the tools I use. The chisels are 3,5 mm, from there you can have an idea of the rest. The files are the ones used in that particular carving but I have some more, ten more to be precise. They have a "medium" grain. (is that how you call it about files?)

Oh yes, and a Little fellow that was walking in my garden...

Hes 3 cm long and is a Tityus Trivitattus (you know about it because he have three strands on his back) Hes poisonous and can deadly to small creatures.

What makes you know that hes bad is that little second "tip" on his tail.

Hope you like the photos!

Hugs,

Sebas

[ This Message was edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-03 10:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-09 08:18 ]

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 07:12 am   Permalink

That was crawling in your garden?!!! men!! and you have little kids don't you? wow!!!!Best wishes Sebastian!Post more pics of your tiki bone carving when you can, please!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sebastian Urresti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-08 6:53 pm   Permalink

HEY THERE CLARITA!
Yes, they crawl and visit the bathrooms and other humid places, but theres one thing worst though, they never come alone, always in pairs, at least is what people says... You know the phrase: Vox Populi, Vox Dei. As for my chidlren, well, Im not Tarzan, but I showed them this one and explained them that if they see one the best thing is to go in the opposite direction, rather than kill it.
Right now Im carving a Manaia so by the end of the week Ill post some pictures for you.
Hugs,

Sebas

[ This Message was edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-09 08:22 ]

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 10:57 pm   Permalink

Very nice Moai! Cab got me into bone carving, too!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-09 8:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks for showing us those tools. They are interesting and I'd Love to Hold them and use them once/ Thanks for the Scorpy picture too a nice bedtime thought!.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 2:23 pm   Permalink

"Do you have a photo of your Moai? Im curious about it."

Yeah, here are a few pics. This is Big BenZart #13.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation