[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Disney In Hawaii
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Disney In Hawaii
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 01:12 am   Permalink

Saw this from the Associated Press tonight...
Quote:
Disney plans to build a family resort in Hawaii,but it won't be an island Disneyland.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced today that it has bought 21 acres of oceanfront property on the western side of Oahu. It will use to build an 800-room hotel complex.
The resort will be Disney's first without a nearby theme park.
Disney Chairman Jay Rasulo says it will emphasize family-centered vacations while respecting Hawaii's culture.
Disney spent 144 million dollars to buy the land at the Ko Olina
development. The planned Disney complex is being called the Ko Olina Family Resort.
Construction of the resort is expected to begin next year, with opening set for 2011.

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2007-10-04 05:30 am   Permalink

Thanks for that info...sounds interesting...wonder if they will have an Enchanted Tiki Room?

Video Announcement

From the Honolulu Advertiser...

Disney unveils plans for 800-room Oahu resort
By Robbie Dingeman
Advertiser Staff Writer

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts plans to break ground next year for a stand-alone luxury resort built on 21 acres at Ko Olina that the company is purchasing for $144 million.

Jay Rasulo, chairman of Disney parks and resorts, said this is the first mixed-use family resort outside of its theme park developments.

Rasulo provided initial details at a news conference in the fifth-floor state Capitol office of Gov. Linda Lingle. He said the resort is expected to open in 2011 and provide 1,000 jobs. He said the company plans to build a Hawaiian-themed family resort.

"We are looking forward to building a special family resort that honors the cultural diversity of Hawai'i and reflects the spirit of aloha that makes this location so unique," Rasulo said. Disney characters Lilo and Stitch from the animated film of the same name made the trip from the Magic Kingdom with Rasulo.

He said Hawai'i already is a very popular destination for members of its Vacation Club, the growing Disney time-share condominium developments and will provide "another way to visit a place that they've loved for many years with a brand they trust."

He said the 800 units will include both hotel rooms and villas for the resort and time-share.

"As the crossroads of Asia, it is your diverse culture that makes this place so special. we look forward to building a family resort that honors the spirit of aloha and welcomes guests from all over the world," Rasulo said.

The property is next to one of the man-made lagoons built in the Ko Olina area on the diamondhead side of J.W. Marriott's Ihilani resort.

The Disney resort will be built on the big bright-green field where the NFL Pro Bowl players have practiced in recent years. "There are absolutely no plans for a theme park," Rasulo said.

Lingle said the project fits well with Hawai'i's reputation as a family destination. "The Disney name brings that to everyone's mind, front and center," she said.

"We both have names that we want to protect," Lingle said. " It is in both of our interests and it plays to our strengths."

Lingle said the resort amounts to "a very courageous decision, one that can have tremendous social impact."

She said the project will add jobs and help the community. The Leeward Coast community has struggled with economic issues that include a shortage of affordable housing and a growing homeless population living on the beaches.

Rasulo said Disney operates 36 resorts around the world. "This project will tell a Hawaiian story," he said.

Wai'anae Coast community leader William Aila said the Disney group hosted a lunch with him and other community and cultural leaders after the formal announcement at the state Capitol.

He said they invited corporate executives, political leaders and cultural practitioners to share a meal at a Chinese restaurant in Waikiki and learn about their conceptual design for the resort, which has been under wraps until yesterday.

Aila said the Disney executives talked about honoring culturally appropriate concepts. "I think if they stick to Walt Disney's vision of these sort of theme resorts bringing hope and telling the indigenous story, they'll be fine," he said.

But he said the community will need to see that commitment. "If they stray far from that, there could be problems with the development as it goes on, he said.

As a native Hawaiian, Aila said he asked some very pointed questions, but got generally good answers and an open attitude about the process. "I felt positive," he said.

Ko Olina master developer Jeff Stone, who has seen other proposed partners come and go, said he was elated by the news. "It's a dream come true," he said.

"I grew up in Burbank and Walt Disney was my idol," Stone said. "I think it's a perfect fit for the community. I think they're sensitive and I think they know exactly what needs to be done."

He noted that the project would not use the tax credit that he had requested from the state Legislature to help spur the construction of a long-planned aquarium.

"I think it's going to fulfill all the promises that I made to the legislators," he said. Since the development won't use the tax credit, "it makes it even more exciting because we could hopefully reallocate that tax credit to the things we need it for, affordable housing, work force."

For residents not likely to work at the hotel or stay there, Stone says there will be another benefit increased public access to the beachfront and man-made lagoons. "It will actually increase public access, make it easier for everyone to come and have a great time."

He said the resort already provides more than 200 free parking stalls and this development will add parking.

City Council member Todd Apo, who represents the area and works for Ko Olina, said the project appeals in many ways. He noted Disney's reputation as a firm dedicated to training and helping the community.

As current budget chairman of the Council, Apo said the prospect of a spike in property taxes looks promising as well. He said this kind of development should help in the larger plan of nurturing Kapolei as a secondary urban center or "creating the true second city."

Lingle said she welcomes Disney for the hotel and all its other companies: Touchstone Films, ABC, and other elements.

State tourism liaison Marsha Wienert said the Disney announcement should be a good fit. "To bring the name of Disney to the destination elevates that brand and image as a family destination," she said.

With more and more families traveling together, Wienert said that's an important and growing tourism trend.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-10-04 05:35 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 06:08 am   Permalink

Wow. Just because of its name, Disney will have to walk a tight rope of political correctness on that one. I don't think we are gonna see one Tiki there. They are gonna be watched with hawk eyes by all the native interest groups, and any missteps will be treated in a most unforgiving manner.
While I personally would like to see the re-occurrence of Polynesian pop on the islands, I would not put myself behind Disney as a facilitator of it, they have lost their way.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
disneykoolina

Posted: 2007-10-05 2:43 pm   Permalink

We purchased a Condo in Ko Olina two years ago that will be open in April of 2008. Construction takes a long time.

I setup a site called
www.disneykoolina.com to advertise our condo. I hope that fact that Disney will be our next door neighbor will make our property values go up!

We may end up purchasing DVC points also so that we will be able to enjoy the giant pool structure that will be installed. We will have three pools at the Beach Villa but the pools at disney look like they are millions of gallons!

The Disney Ko Olina Resort layout is as follows, think of a square piece of land. One side of the square is the beach, the other three sides all have tall vertical hotel structures in a horseshoe shape around the perimiter. Inside of the horseshoe will be a giant pool structure and everything will look out over it towards the beach. It's going to be pretty cool.

I am old surfer who grew up in Haleiwa. The Ko Olina resort is turning out very nice. I remember when I was younger when the lagoons were there in Ko Olina without any buildings. It was really peaceful.

View Profile of disneykoolina Send a personal message to disneykoolina  Email disneykoolina Goto the website of disneykoolina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 2:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-04 05:30, VampiressRN wrote:

Aila said the Disney executives talked about honoring culturally appropriate concepts. "I think if they stick to Walt Disney's vision of these sort of theme resorts bringing hope and telling the indigenous story, they'll be fine," he said.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:53 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 5:49 pm   Permalink

Mrs. Lurker and I were there when this was announced. The images I saw were sweet, like a giant tiki room resort. But after the announcement and for the rest of last week the local news was interviewing locals for their take on this resort. It was 50/50 most though not wanting to see something in that location, so I am very interested to see how this unfolds in the future. I'm already trying to convince the Mrs. to make the 2011 trip even if we cannot get a room there at least be able to scour the grounds.

May your first child be a Moai child..

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kent
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-10 08:00 am   Permalink

This picture was in Disney's 2007 Annual Report

View Profile of Kahuna Kent Send a personal message to Kahuna Kent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-10 3:14 pm   Permalink

If it looks like that I might go.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
irishf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-10 5:34 pm   Permalink

I wonder how native Hawaiians can even afford to live on the island anymore. Trump, now Disney...I hope Oahu doesn't turn into one huge, sterilized, plastic mall. For example, Waikiki...Much as I enjoy Waikiki, I don't think it's really representative of true life there. The locals I know there say they avoid Waikiki like the plague.

View Profile of irishf Send a personal message to irishf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-11 11:40 am   Permalink

Don't all expensive Hawaiian resorts look like that?
In my experience they do.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-11 6:09 pm   Permalink

Mmmm... Mrs. Bungalow and I are going to plan a trip to Hawaii. (In other words, no planning done yet, but we will go.) I don't think I'd want to go to a Disney resort. It wouldn't feel right. Disney's whole thing is to create the illusion of a location... we want the "real" thing. So we are fooling ourselves, right? What is the real thing in Hawaii?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 10:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-11 18:09, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
What is the real thing in Hawaii?

This is the moment where I shamelessly plug my parents lovely Bed and Breakfast

http://www.akamaibnb.com

Mahalo!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 5:06 pm   Permalink

There has been one new design element added to the new Disney resort on Oahu...

K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)
[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/5514x538c224a.jpg[

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 10:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-15 17:06, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
There has been one new design element added to the new Disney resort on Oahu...

Pissed off natives?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-16 05:59 am   Permalink

The funny part is Disney hasn't had a decent imaginative idea for a hotel since the Polynesian Resort at WDW.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation