[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Disney In Hawaii
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Disney In Hawaii
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-16 12:05 pm   Permalink

Other than the relatively few jobs that will be generated, it will have nothing to offer the residents of Oahu, except things like even more traffic congestion.

And, if developer Jeff Stone is involved and happy with it, then forget it. Automatic thumbs down.

Our Hawaii politicos have always gotten it wrong and for all the wrong reasons. They originally took a gem like Waikiki and totally ruined it. Now, they are doing it wherever else they can, while residents only watch as it never ends.

I'll shamelessly plug VanTiki's shameless plug for his parent's B&B in Kailua. A much better deal.
But, anybody who glarringly misspells Oahu as Ohahu in thier main web page ad should be dangled over the Pali until they fix that!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paul120

Posted: 2008-05-17 02:43 am   Permalink

Want to know more about Maui weddings in Hawaii that are exclusively romantic. Mauius.com offers Romantic Maui Weddings at your budget cost. For more details please log on to our website http://www.mauius.com/

View Profile of paul120 Send a personal message to paul120      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 10:57 am   Permalink

Disney should pull their heads out of their butts and go tiki. People love tiki. Nice addition to the drawings angry tiki duck hahaahhah.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 3:49 pm   Permalink

Construction has begun

http://www.yesterland.com/disneykoolina5.html

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
allenroyboy

Posted: 2009-07-24 9:15 pm   Permalink

With the current depression in tourism on the island (for nearly 2 years now) I expect this may not be completed.

View Profile of allenroyboy Send a personal message to allenroyboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-25 06:00 am   Permalink

While Disney could still pull the plug (with the recession, Hawaii hotels are averaging about a 50% occupancy rate, pretty terrible), I doubt they will. They may be building in Hawaii at least partly because of the downturn, everything is cheaper as a result. It's a good time to buy and build anywhere if you have the capital.

If I'm correct, the resort will be part of the Disney Vacation Club, which means it will only be available to their time share purchasers. It's very possible it won't be open to the general public.

I do disagree that the Walt Disney company doesn't do original hotels. All their theme park hotels are very themed and original, from the cheapest to the most expensive, though their DVC resorts are much less so.

Walt Disney, like many folks of his generation, was fascinated with Polynesian culture and the tiki scene. His favorite attraction was the Enchanted Tiki Room, which he originally envisioned as a restaurant. Kind of like of decent version of the Rainforest Cafe.

While I'm not sure I love the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck tikis, neither do I discount the Disney company and their relationship to tiki culture either. It's interesting to me that Disney historians tend to overlook the Walt Disney/tiki connection, tiki folk tend to not miss the Disney connection. I like being part of a group that sees the complete picture.

Dan/dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-21 7:27 pm   Permalink

Check out the website

disney.go.com/hawaii-resort" target="_blank">http://resorts.disney.go.com/hawaii-resort

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 6:29 pm   Permalink

my lord, that concept art on their website is atrocious.

when you look through the books of disney's concept art for early disneyland and walt disney world, the art gets you excited and gives you an emotional response for the subject matter.

the art in the "GALLERY" section of their site looks like a bad saturday morning television show.

from the looks of the art and designs, the hotel hasn't a cohesive look or theme that would set it apart from any other stucco and sheet rock monstrosity.

oh well.....

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 6:32 pm   Permalink

I thought the lobby was nice..reminds me of Coco Palms

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-22 7:28 pm   Permalink

More resort monstrosities on Oahu, YAY! As much as I do enjoy things that Disney has done, this is completely unnecessary. I guess when developers have completely blocked off all of the island shoreline they can start building more exclusive resorts in the actual ocean. Just move a reef here or there, as long as tourists are happy. This is a turd of an idea.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 11:57 pm   Permalink

Here is the latest video of the Disney project, featuring many cute mice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3W-vVX1kc

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 08:22 am   Permalink

I am always amazed by the mealy mouthed, negative people who crawl out from under the slimy place they exist and spew their viscous rantings, spread their venom and loathing over something new.
A turd? For gosh sakes, it's a hotel. A Happiest place on Earth hotel in a beautiful place.
A video of rats in Honolulu?
Damn, lighten up.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-24 15:49, TikiPhil wrote:
Construction has begun

I love the classic "outrigger" architecture.

This will probably be a success. If one does not want the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, the only places to stay are at Turtle Bay in the North Shore, the Kahala just outside of Waikiki or the Marriot at Ko Olina. These are all very expensive, and limited in number.

I look forward to staying there so I can have the best of both worlds.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-23 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-23 08:22, bananabobs wrote:
I am always amazed by the mealy mouthed, negative people who crawl out from under the slimy place they exist and spew their viscous rantings, spread their venom and loathing over something new.
A turd? For gosh sakes, it's a hotel. A Happiest place on Earth hotel in a beautiful place.
A video of rats in Honolulu?
Damn, lighten up.

Wow that sure if a mouthful you spit up. Though everything you vomited sounds more like a description of yourself. In my post I talked about a bad idea for an island that has been inundated with bad ideas from corporations who have simply gone overboard. If you had any connection to the islands you might feel the same way. But hey, enjoy your vacation at the new Disney Resort.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-01-23 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-23 09:04, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-07-24 15:49, TikiPhil wrote:
Construction has begun

I love the classic "outrigger" architecture.

This will probably be a success. If one does not want the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, the only places to stay are at Turtle Bay in the North Shore, the Kahala just outside of Waikiki or the Marriot at Ko Olina. These are all very expensive, and limited in number.

I look forward to staying there so I can have the best of both worlds.

Inside rendering of the above structure:

It just needs some Tikis from the defunct Hawaiiana Hotel.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation