[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Bars That Offer Keeper Tiki Mugs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Bars That Offer Keeper Tiki Mugs
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 06:44 am   Permalink

What current tiki bars serve drinks in tiki mugs where you get to keep the mug? Was this the system with tiki bars of old?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 07:37 am   Permalink

Otto's Shrunken Head in NYC charges a $5 deposit when you get a drink in a tiki mug ($20 for a bowl). Then it's up to you if you want to keep it or not - take it with you or return it for your deposit back.

Actually a pretty good price since most if not all of the mugs are from Tiki Farm. Of course you can avoid the deposit and go with a regular glass, but that's no way to drink a suffering bastard.

I think it's a good system since the bartenders don't have to keep track of the mugs when its crowded and can focus on pouring more drinks.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 08:20 am   Permalink

My whole intro to tiki was the late, lamented HONOLULU Restaurant in Alexandria, Virginia. There was one specific drink, the Tiki Tumbler, where you got to keep the mug. That drink had a premium price of about $7 compared to $3-5 for most of the other cocktails on the menu. That drink came in a specific mug, but they had other Dynasty mugs for sale at the cash register.

The TIKI LOUNGE on Pittsburgh's South Side has a variety of mugs and charges stiff premiums for the cocktails - they average $11-12, which is outrageous compared to most places in the Steel City, especially in a neighborhood that still has bards that serve $1-2 drafts. But for that price, you get to keep the mug, and sometimes they even let you choose which mug you'd like your drink in.

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-05 06:44, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
What current tiki bars serve drinks in tiki mugs where you get to keep the mug? Was this the system with tiki bars of old?

As far as I know, the souvenir mug concept might very well have been the raison d'etre for Tiki mugs. If we concede that the first logo Tiki mug EVER was the Tiki Bob, he seems to have been created as an advertising memento mug, as the menu excerpt on page 47 of the Book of Tiki shows. Did the Otagiri sales men use him as an example to sell the concept to other Polynesian posadas, and Tiki mugs spread from there on? Will we ever know?

It would be an interesting survey to be undertaken by menu collectors to see how many restaurateurs used the souvenir giveaway (initially without any extra cost) concept. As far as I know, some did, some didn't, some on all, and some only on one or two cocktails. If we can ever find out if the stash in this post:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25847&forum=12&11
actually was obtained by drinking, the Stockton Islander would certainly qualify as one of the most generous establishments!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-05 09:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-10-05 06:44, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

As far as I know, the souvenir mug concept might very well have been the raison d'etre for Tiki mugs. If we concede that the first logo Tiki mug EVER was the Tiki Bob, he seems to have been created as an advertising memento mug, as the menu excerpt on page 47 of the Book of Tiki shows. Did the Otagiri sales men use him as an example to sell the concept to other Polynesian posadas, and Tiki mugs spread from there on? Will we ever know?

It would be an interesting survey to be undertaken by menu collectors to see how many restaurateurs used the souvenir giveaway (initially without any extra cost) concept. As far as I know, some did, some didn't, some on all, and some only on one or two cocktails. If we can ever find out if the stash in this post:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25847&forum=12&11
actually was obtained by drinking, the Stockton Islander would certainly qualify as one of the most generous establishments!

bigbrotiki,

I can only tell you what I was told second-hand by someone who purchased quite a few of these mugs from this seller...they were not from an estate sale...the gentleman selling these used to frequent the Stockton Islander...Alot! I also believe that most of these were available for purchase, either with or without a drink. The gentleman appears to have moved to Lodi recently and is retired.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 5:30 pm   Permalink

Current bar options listed so far: 1)Otto's in NYC 2)Tiki Lounge in Pittsburgh

And then, of course, the only other way to acquire mugs is by purchasing them from new craftsmen, buying them from other collectors, making them yourself, or finding them in antique/junk stores.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 5:41 pm   Permalink

Forbidden Island in Alameda has a mug. Bali Hai in San Diego I have bought a Mr. Bali Hai mug.

I've also purchased mugs at Trader Vic's in Emeryville.

Purchased mugs at the Tiki Terrace in Chicago.

There are other places that sell them, Kon Tiki in Tuscon is one. Some places even have websites you can order from.

Check the other threads and I'm sure you'll find more.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 5:43 pm   Permalink

Count the Bali Hai in Lynnfield, Mass & the Kowloon in Saugus, Mass as places you can buy their logo mugs but not as a "drink" souvenir, they sell them as a souvenir only.

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-10-05 5:54 pm   Permalink

the purple orchid in el segundo,ca. sell their mugs.

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-05 6:35 pm   Permalink

Hula Hula in Seattle, WA has their own mug.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 7:27 pm   Permalink

The Rendezvous in Kenosha, Wisconsin:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25562&forum=12

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 11:21 pm   Permalink

The Foundation Tiki Bar in Milwaukee, WI. The mugs are by Dynasty.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-06 08:05 am   Permalink

Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge in Minneapolis, MN charges a $4 for most mugs. However, I believe all of their mugs are from Dynasty Wholesale.

Psycho Suzi's was where I got hooked on Tiki. I acquired most of my Dynasty mugs through Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge. I still stop in hoping there will be a new mug.

[ This Message was edited by: Scott McGerik 2007-10-06 08:07 ]

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-06 09:36 am   Permalink

Kona Club has a few now or real soon...

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-06 9:49 pm   Permalink

The Kon Tiki Tucson has one specific drink on the menu that comes with the mug as a souvenir.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation