Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Origins of the Fog Cutter mug
Origins of the Fog Cutter mug
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-07 06:53 am   Permalink

The Fog Cutter is one of the fabled cocktails from the early days of faux Polynesia in America. I have read that the cocktails invention has been credited to Tony Ramos a famous bartender at Don the Beachcombers. Ramos had recalled the drink being created at Edna Earl's Fogcutter restaurant in L.A. as their signature cocktail. The Fog Cutter style of mug has always been one of my favorites and I have posted some from my collection below. It seems to me though not strictly by definition a "Tiki" mug that the Fog Cutter style could be in the running as one of the earliest of the dedicated restaurant mugs. The earliest mention of the mug I could find is the image in Vic's 1947 bartenders guide. Another interesting thing is how the cocktail and the mug were known as one in the same. Many restaurants served the Fog Cutter in a custom mug but usually the same basic style and form from place to place. Both Tepco and OMC offered the "Fog Cutter" mug in their wholesale catalogs. It would be interesting to know if this style started with Trader Vic's mug and it grew from there or did it start somewhere else?

Recipe from Vic's 1946 edition of his Book Of Food & Drink.

Image of glassware, mugs and bowls from Trader Vic's Bartenders Guide 1947 edition. Note early version of the Fog Cutter mug.

Sun God mug and a beautiful mug from the Hawaiian Cottage.

Moy's and Trader Vic's

Kings Island mug.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2012-02-10 13:16 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 1:18 pm   Permalink

I thought that I would freshen up this five year old post a bit after a pot of coffee and to much time on my hands today.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-20 10:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-07 06:53, uncle trav wrote:
The earliest mention of the mug I could find is the image in Vic's 1947 bartenders guide.

Hey Uncle Trav,

Here is an image from a Life Magazine story about Trader Vic...I'm pretty sure it's from a 1944 article but haven't been able to confirm that...

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 3:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the image AS. I went with the 1946 date as the Fog Cutter is the recipe in the the TV's Book of Food and Drink. The Samoan Fog Cutter which is the same recipe with the "Samoan" added I didn't think came until later. I might be mistaken though. Thanks again for posting the image.

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 4:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha, Trav!

Aquatic Safarinaut's memory is good, as that Trader Vic's Life Magazine article dates from September 4, 1944...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 6:36 pm   Permalink

That's hilarious! Fer sure, the Pacific war was one big Luau!...with macaws fanning the air!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation