FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Music ╗ ╗ NEW Exotica / Tiki blog on the net!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
NEW Exotica / Tiki blog on the net!
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-10 09:55, Tiki Bill wrote:
I agree. I don't want to see his blog dissapear. And Herr, Randy, Tikiaki and I are NOT the music police! We're just giving you some advice on how to do your blog legaly. I dont want to assme here, but I bet if asked nicely, all three of us would let you use something for your blog. We need people like you to help spread the word of a great musical genre, and spread the word of our projects. Contactig the artists would help you as well. You might even be able to squeek an interview out of some of us for your blog, while asking for permission to use our material. You scratch my back, I'll scratch your's.
Please don't kill your blog, and let's try to work TOGETHER!

Tiki Bill.

I agree. I not opposed to giving something away for promo purposes. Just ASK fer chrissakes

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 10:12 am   Permalink

This gives me a great idea. Why don't we produce an online CD comp of only contemporary Exotica artists, somewhat along the lines of the "Two Zombies Later" comp produced by the Exotica mailing List and Comfortstand? All tracks would be donated by the artists, so whoever wanted to contribute could. Legalities would mimic Comfortstand's policy.

Not that I have a lot of free time on my hands, bur I would like to volunteer to organize this, or at least be one of the organizers.

The only thing that I would ask is that the track be Exotica.

Anyone interested?

Jack Fetterman

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 11:51 am   Permalink

Maybe it was just my music, but I had zero reactions to 2 Zombies Laterů

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-10 10:12, tabuzak wrote:
This gives me a great idea. Why don't we produce an online CD comp of only contemporary Exotica artists, somewhat along the lines of the "Two Zombies Later" comp produced by the Exotica mailing List and Comfortstand? All tracks would be donated by the artists, so whoever wanted to contribute could. Legalities would mimic Comfortstand's policy.

Not that I have a lot of free time on my hands, bur I would like to volunteer to organize this, or at least be one of the organizers.

The only thing that I would ask is that the track be Exotica.

Anyone interested?

Jack Fetterman

Great idea Jack, but what's exotica?

I noticed my track "Exotica Revisited" was on his blog too!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 12:28 pm   Permalink

It's hard to gauge. I do know that it was featured on some underground type radio stations and a friend visiting a Tiki bar in Seattle said they were playing my Les Baxter remix (!) there. Did I get any work from it? Nope, me neither.

I saw it passsed around on different free download sites and the numbers of hits were sometimes in the 100s.

But, I think this project has more potential because it would be consistent stylistically. Someone wanting to hear Exotica could put this on and listen to every track without worrying that the next track might bum out the rum guzzlers (like myself)by being too avante garde, for example.

I think the tiki tribe is larger than the incredibly strange music clan. We also have a specific use for this music, i.e. backdrop for partying!

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 12:38 pm   Permalink

From my point of view, for this project, Exotica could be thought of as music that would fit stylistically with the music on Martin Denny's LP of the same name.

professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-10 5:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-10 09:30, tikiyaki wrote:
Hey Randy,

Sorry, I should have emailed you about this, but I'm glad someone else did. Either way, the situation was quelled.

I'm just bummed that the guy decided to stop his blog altogether rather than just do a podcast or ask prmission, or something.

Our music needs all the outlets it can get, and this guy had the right idea, he just went about it the wrong way.

I hope he reconsiders and decides to continue his blog.

I agree, exotica music certainly needs as much promotion as it can get, and definitely moreso in the mainstream. There are many tikiphiles out there, but it is not to them that we need as much exposure... the tiki community is a crafty, resourceful bunch, and will surely find each of our creative works after not too long!

I myself have an exotica music blog. Its specific purpose is not so much towards general publicity of exotica music but as a discussion of the creative aspects of its composition from a professional musician's perspective. (So, probably not of general interest!). The link is:
http://randywong.net/exotica. I welcome comments on it!

Anyways, I do hope the Herr will reconsider his blog strategy but continue blogging. He stopped before I could even check it out, so I couldn't offer any compliments! Herr, if you're out there, drop me a line sometime via PM.

Thanks & aloha,
PHF of WAITIKI

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation