FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Your favorite drink from the Sippin' Safari....is?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Your favorite drink from the Sippin' Safari....is?
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-11 9:41 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have a favorite yet?

I just made Don's Beach Planter, page 17, and it was fantastic.I had all the ingredients except for the Christian Brothers Brandy. This drink got better as the ice melted, down to the last drop. Here is the recipe for those who don't have the book yet.

Don's Beach Planter

1/2 oz.fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup
1 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz. amber Martinique rum
1/4 oz. dark Jamaican rum
1/4 oz. Christian Brothers brandy ( I used E & J X.O Brandy)
Dash Angostura bitters
6 drops (1/8 tsp.) Herbsaint Pernod (I made 4 drinks and used 1/8 tsp only for all)
4 oz. (1/2 cup) ice

put everything in blender, saving ice for last. Blend at high speed for no more than 5 seconds. Pour into pilsner glass. Add more crushed ice to fill.

From Don The Beachcomber's 1937.

I hope you'll like it too. Enjoy

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 08:41 am   Permalink

I took the book to a local watering hole last night and had the bartender make me a Rain Killer. It was really good -- not too sweet, not too tart. Very balanced. I chose this partcicular drink because the bar had all the ingredients.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 09:55 am   Permalink

.....my next one.

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2007-10-12 09:55 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-14 5:47 pm   Permalink

The Nui Nui immediately went into regular rotation.

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeChuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-15 01:45 am   Permalink

I've made about 15 drinks from the book so far and my current favorite is the Jet Pilot. There's a lot going on in that drink with the spices of the syrups combining really well with the rums.

View Profile of LeChuck Send a personal message to LeChuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-10-28 6:30 pm   Permalink

I can't say this is my favorite yet, but last night we made the "Cou-Cou-Comber". Tasty and unusual! Here's a photo, and we did follow the instructions to, "sip through a straw, eating the cucumber as you go."

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeChuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-29 09:12 am   Permalink

That's wonderful!

View Profile of LeChuck Send a personal message to LeChuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-02 8:20 pm   Permalink

Crap - does it get any more impressive than that? Your dedication is awe-inspiring, Randy (oops). I'm humbled....

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-11-03 00:18 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 06:51 am   Permalink

Yes! That rocks! Very nice presentation.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-12 11:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-15 01:45, LeChuck wrote:
I've made about 15 drinks from the book so far and my current favorite is the Jet Pilot. There's a lot going on in that drink with the spices of the syrups combining really well with the rums.

Absolutely agree, Jet Pilot tastes great. But I mixed a Don's Beach Planter and I don't remember it as a very special drink. I'll give it a second chance, Hiltiki.

[ This Message was edited by: BastardoSaffrin 2007-11-12 23:40 ]

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichef

Posted: 2007-11-13 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-12 23:38, BastardoSaffrin wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely agree, Jet Pilot tastes great. But I mixed a Don's Beach Planter and I don't remember it as a very special drink. I'll give it a second chance, Hiltiki.

[ This Message was edited by: BastardoSaffrin 2007-11-12 23:40 ]

The Jet Pilot was my favorite until I tried the Three Dots and a Dash. I liked it even better than the Jet Pilot.

View Profile of tikichef Send a personal message to tikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-17 7:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Agree totally. I've been fiddling with the recipe a bit (but not too much), and this is my favorite so far:

1/2 oz. Grapefruit juice
1/2 oz. Lime Juice
1/4 oz. Torani Cinnamon syrup
1/2 oz. Falernum
1/8 tsp. Pernod
1 oz. Appleton X/V
3/4 oz. Cruzan Black Strap
3/4 oz. Lemon Hart Demerara 151
Dash Angostura Bitters

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-09 8:52 pm   Permalink

Still haven't made through half the recipes but my 3 favorites so far are Don the Beachcomber's Coffee Grog (p. 15), Coola Culla Don (p. 45), and Three Dots and a Dash (my first is in front of me right now - yum!). I can't wait to try the Jet Pilot.

The strongest one by far was Jim's Special! Kelbo's Scorpion was pretty potent too.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-09 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-28 18:30, aquarj wrote:
I can't say this is my favorite yet, but last night we made the "Cou-Cou-Comber". Tasty and unusual! Here's a photo, and we did follow the instructions to, "sip through a straw, eating the cucumber as you go."

-Randy

Wow, Randy, you are something! Awesome looking drink!

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-10 08:07 am   Permalink

WOWeeeee! That Cou cou comber! That is sooo cool! Great effort - wish you were my friend! Really Awesome and inspiring, thanks for posting!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation