[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Just Great Matchbooks Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Just Great Matchbooks Thread
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-06-09 10:45 pm   Permalink

I like em.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-12 8:51 pm   Permalink

Boris a little more.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 5:29 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 2:46 pm   Permalink

These were extras from a tiki matchbook cover find that I thought I would post before I get rid of them...

Enjoy

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 6:11 pm   Permalink

I like the ones with printing on the matches.

A couple of mine:

"Clearman's Golden Cock Inn"-that's what she said!
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 12:47 am   Permalink

Got this one today at an estate sale

Love's Pagen Den

That's right, they spelled pagAn pagEn.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 11:18 pm   Permalink

Here's my nudie/pinup matchbook collection:

What are they trying to convey with the Iron Maiden graphic?

Bottom ones are boxes from Japan

The one on the right is my favorite:

It's from a bowling alley

I usd to go to that Hussong's about once a month or so when i was lad. We used to camp at San Miguel at least once a month, and if there was no surf, we'd meet the incoming cruise ship partiers as they arrived at Hussong's. We'd pretty much get thrown out every other time we were there. i used to hang out with some real meatheads.

some of the fine establishments that used these type of matches as promos:

Any of you Bettie Page fans know if this is her?

And if it is, was the original photo nude and the bathing suit painted on for this book?

Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-07-08 23:20 ]

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-10 10:39 am   Permalink

This is my all time favorite matchbook. It reminds you to close the cover before striking for safety but watching the latest nuke go off is just fine.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 2:29 pm   Permalink

None of these are mine, but thought they were cool enough to download and save to my computer.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-14 07:18 am   Permalink

Ah, what wonderful, wonderful matchbook art! Fantastic, groovy stuff.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-15 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-08 23:18, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Any of you Bettie Page fans know if this is her?

And if it is, was the original photo nude and the bathing suit painted on for this book?

That's Bettie Page, and the bathing suit is real; there's a whole photo-shoot with her in the same outfit:

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pantsenfuego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-15 4:26 pm   Permalink

This past weekend I found these gems at an estate sale. On another note, this was the first estate sale I've ever been propositioned at. Being propositioned by an geriatric old man as you sift through the deceased's treasured belongings is not as flattering as you think it may be.

[ This Message was edited by: pantsenfuego 2012-03-15 16:29 ]

View Profile of pantsenfuego Send a personal message to pantsenfuego  Email pantsenfuego Goto the website of pantsenfuego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 5:22 pm   Permalink

Picked up these 3 vintage matchbook collectors albums recently. From what I can gather from the books and the writing within, they were compiled by the wife of an officer in the service during and after the WWII period. The dates range from 1942-1965.
She seems to have travelled along with her serviceman and visited many places but the bulk of the matches are from Kansas City (their hometown), Hawaii, NYC, SF, Quebec, Chicago etc. Most are restaurants, hotels and bars but there are several military related and transportation matchbooks as well.
Probably 300-400 in all, I think I will keep them together as a group since they have been in those albums for up to 6 decades and are a nice record of their journeys.

Here are some interesting and familiar ones:

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2012-04-26 17:23 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation