Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Le Sacre Du Savage Photo Spread from 1951
Le Sacre Du Savage Photo Spread from 1951
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-14 06:55 am   Permalink

One of my fave weblogs, I'm Learning to Share, posted this goofy Capitol Records promotional centerfold for Les Baxter's Ritual of the Savage. In it, Les portrays famed African hunter, Serge Drek. Vocalist Dottie O'Brian appears as steel-wool heiress, Griselde Kittle, and singer/actress Gisele MacKenzie portrays the White Goddess.

Funny stuff. Click on the image to view it full size.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-14 09:35 am   Permalink

Good stuff. I appreciate you sharing your finds so generously with us. Well, with me.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-14 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-14 09:35, pappythesailor wrote:
Good stuff. I appreciate you sharing your finds so generously with us. Well, with me.

My pleasure! I figured this would be well-received 'round these here parts...

Question: what the hell are those black-hooded figures standing behind Les and Dottie in panel 5 supposed to be?

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-15 08:01 am   Permalink

WOW!!!!

Thanks for sharing MrBalihai!!

I have never seen that before. I love Les' name too Serge Drek!!

Hilarious!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-15 2:41 pm   Permalink

oh man I love that! And what are those way out creepy looking things in picture 5?

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-17 1:51 pm   Permalink

Just saw this now. What a find! The whole tropical helmet/Trader/Safari cliche was an important predecessor and paralell to Tiki. I hope to be able to contribute to this genre very soon in person .

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-17 3:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-17 13:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
I hope to be able to contribute to this genre very soon in person .

Funny you should say that, because when I posted this, I thought of you doing a little comic photoplay as the Great White Hunter of Polynesian Pop.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-17 3:23 pm   Permalink

The "Quiet Village" was a quiet AFRICAN village?

The Tiki images on the front of the album were mostly drawn from African carvings as well; ones from the Museum of Primitive Arts, NYC.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-18 02:41 am   Permalink

Maybe not. They coulda they walked 4246 miles EAST to Tahiti.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-18 06:48 am   Permalink

Cammo, do you have photos of those African carvings? You know how much I love tracing pop versions back to their origins.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation