FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Favorite recipe book???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Favorite recipe book???
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-15 4:27 pm   Permalink

Besides the most excellent Beachbum Berry books (these have changed our lives ) and the 1947 Trader Vic, what is your recommend favorite(s)?

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - I don't usually fix spelling errors but this was in the Subject and could skew search results. - 2013-07-19 11:31 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-16 7:40 pm   Permalink

I would, of course, include the 1972 Trader Vic guide.

View Profile of Dan Send a personal message to Dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-19 2:00 pm   Permalink

As of late, I'm really digging "Trader Vic's Tiki Party"
All the favorites, food and pretty pictures... Ooooh, Ahhhhh.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-19 4:52 pm   Permalink

...and I am certain you are all familiar with "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" by Ted "Dr Cocktail" Haigh? Where else could one find the recipe for the Monkey Gland? This little tome is the only equal in research and art to Sippin' Safari.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-21 08:03 am   Permalink

What BigBro said; Ted Haigh's book is the right and proper vintage cocktail book to place beside your Beachbum tomes.

The next most-often-referred-to book on my road to ruin is Gary Regan's _Joy of Mixology_. This book gives provenance to a lot of classic recipes, and Gary tells you where, how and why he may have adjusted them and where YOU should adjust them to your own taste. He also includes charts that are invaluable; if you've ever become confused when browsing recipes, these charts organize things wonderfully.

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-21 08:08 am   Permalink

I have to agree with the Joy Of Mixology, and add Dale DeGroff's The Craft Of The Cocktail. Great book.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OneFatFrog

Posted: 2007-11-07 08:08 am   Permalink

I have an excellent .pdf of recipes for Fresh Island mixes. Drop me a note should you want a copy.

View Profile of OneFatFrog Send a personal message to OneFatFrog  Email OneFatFrog Goto the website of OneFatFrog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-07 09:10 am   Permalink

Charles Schumann's Tropical Bar Book: Drinks and Stories. You're crazy not to buy it on Amazon right this minute for 95 cents!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1556700652/ref=dp_olp_2/104-1603358-4074337

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-07 09:34 am   Permalink

Thanks Jay!

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-08 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-07 09:10, pappythesailor wrote:
Charles Schumann's Tropical Bar Book: Drinks and Stories. You're crazy not to buy it on Amazon right this minute for 95 cents!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1556700652/ref=dp_olp_2/104-1603358-4074337

I just got it for TWO CENTS plus $3.99 shipping. Total cost - $4.01. It was listed as "used" but in "very good" condition. Will have to see how it really looks when it gets here. But these online book sellers are usually very accurate.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-08 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-19 16:52, bigbrotiki wrote:
...and I am certain you are all familiar with "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" by Ted "Dr Cocktail" Haigh? Where else could one find the recipe for the Monkey Gland? This little tome is the only equal in research and art to Sippin' Safari.

Just got mine ("expanded edition") after what seemed like a three month wait for them to come back in stock. Truly an amazing book with lots of good explanations and research. I plan on reading it cover-to-cover and can already tell that I would recommend this book to anyone who is new to the art of cocktails.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-08 4:06 pm   Permalink

"Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" is also one of my go-to books
if you like vintage recipes for old school cocktails, this is one to get.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-08 4:56 pm   Permalink

I realize I'm only five years late to contribute to this topic but I also vote for the 1972 Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide as a great source of Tiki cocktails. He reveals around 170 of his own recipes along with a thousand or so others. I've read others complain that he references Trader Vic brand mixers but I found that only to be true for the Navy Grog mix, which is proprietary. Even so, others on this board have come up with a decent substitution for it.

Don't you wish Donn Beach had bothered to publish his recipes? Well the Trader did and it is still available! I enjoy all the Beachbum Berry books and the Trader's is right up there with them in my opinion.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Anestiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-10 03:47 am   Permalink

My vote is for the Kahuna Kevin books "Why is the Rum Gone?" Volumes 1 and 2....

Once you have these, everything else seems boring

View Profile of Anestiki Send a personal message to Anestiki  Email Anestiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 05:33 am   Permalink

I still haven't got the Kahuna Kevin books.

Now, since it does say favorite recipe book, and not favorite tiki recipe book, I have to throw this one in the mix:

http://www.pagegangster.com/p/m1uvQ/2/#1

And if you're looking for more old books...
http://www.drinkology.com/reference/all

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-02-11 05:40 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation