FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » The Great Palm Springs Zombie Taste-Off!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Great Palm Springs Zombie Taste-Off!
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-12 9:18 pm   Permalink

Most people use the large Persian Limes that are green. Persian limes are a cultivated lime that provide lots of juice; however, the key lime is the real prize. Usually small, most supermarkets sell them when they are green and unripe. Key limes are ripe when the skin is yellow - but most people won't buy them because they associate ripe limes with Persian Limes which are ripe when green.

But the real difference is in the flavor. Ripe Key Limes are explosive with the lime flavor and meld extremely well with other flavors, therefore when put into exotic drinks, they enhance the flavors around them rather than compete with them.

You can buy key limes in most supermarkets, but put them on a window sill and let them turn yellow before you use them. They be juicier and much more flavorful.

I am fortunate that my Key Lime provides me with limes almost year round.

Good luck.

By the way, here is my own variation of the Anonymous 1934 Grog Log Zombie. It to uses Passion Fruit Syrup.

Douglas Sexton’s
Zombie Alternative

1 oz. Key Lime
1 oz. Pineapple
1 oz. Passion Fruit Syrup
1 Tbs. Simple Syrup
1 Tbs. Apricot Brandy
1 oz. Light Rum (Cuban, if on hand)
2 oz. Gold Rum (Barbados)
1 oz. Jamaican Dark Rum used as a float.
1 splash of Lemon Hart 151.

Garnish with mint, a ½ lime shell, pineapple and cherry. Add the 151 to the half lime shell and ignite. Dim the lights. Your soon to be a Zombie.

This is the Zombie I created, a modification of one of many supposed originals. I altered it by rounding out the proportions for easy measuring as well as adjusting the types of rums used. Although there are many similar recipes to this one, I can guarantee that this one will not disappoint.

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2007-11-12 22:24 ]

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kent
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-14 10:36 pm   Permalink

Hi, Telescopes:

I tried the Spievak recipe. Don't have the TV Passion fruit syrup, so I made some with Goya frozen pulp I got at Vallarta market. The Passion fruit flavor seemed to overwhelm the others. This is definitely a "fruitier" Zombie than the Santiago recipe. I'll definitly drink this again - but next time I'll cut back to maybe 3/4 shot of Passsion Fruit syrup. (TV old recipe is 11% juice, according to the Bum, so making it with 50% pulp is much stronger)

I plan to attend Tiki Oasis in August, so looking forward to comparing tastes!

PS: Haven't found a source for the "key limes" - Whole Foods has "Organic Limes" which are good, but not the same. I'll check the farmer's market this weekend. Having a tree is definitely the way to go!

View Profile of Kahuna Kent Send a personal message to Kahuna Kent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 09:37 am   Permalink

I recently made a chart where I compared the ingredients of four Don the Beachcomber recipes for Zombies. They include the 1934 Zombie Punch and 1956 Zombie, both from “Sippin’ Safari,” as well as the Zombie recipe in the book “Hawaiian Tropical Drinks by Don the Beachcomber” and a 1938 article in the Winnipeg Free Press.

I’ve been wondering about the Zombie recipe that appeared in Cabaret Magazine in 1956, which is quoted in “Sippin’ Safari.” It seems odd to me that Donn Beach would be so secretive about his recipes, and then simply allow a magazine to publish the recipe for his signature cocktail. I wonder if he didn’t both simplify and make a couple of changes so that people could make a Zombie, but it would never taste quite as good as the one they got at Don the Beachcomber.

The 1956 recipe differs from the 1934 recipe in four areas: It substitutes grapefruit juice for Don’s Mix, cuts down on the amount of rum, and adds pineapple juice and maraschino liqueur. The “Hawaiian Tropical Drinks” recipe is very close to the 1956 recipe, but omits pineapple juice, and adds simple syrup, and light Puerto Rican and Guatemala rums.

The 1938 Winnipeg article obviously does not include all the ingredients of the drink, however it lists four different rums: Dark Jamaican, Gold Puerto Rican, Demerara 151, and, intriguingly, Guadalupe rum. I wonder if the authors of “Hawaiian Tropical Drinks” misread a recipe that called for Guadalupe rum, and mistakenly included Guatemala rum instead.

So I have a theory: Perhaps for the 1956 recipe, Donn Beach left out a rum, included grapefruit juice rather than breaking down the ingredients of Don’s Mix, and then added pineapple juice because a lot of people expect it in tropical drinks. So trying to read between the lines, I wonder if a Zombie recipe closer to Don the Beachcomber’s version (post Zombie Punch era) might be the following:

3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Don’s Mix
1/2 oz Falernum
1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
1 1/4 oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
1 oz Demerara Rum 151
1 oz Guadalupe (or Martinique) Rum
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
6 drops Pernod
1/4 oz Grenadine
3/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur

I haven’t tried this yet as I do not currently have all the ingredients. Plus I recently moved and don’t have my bar set up yet. But if anyone out there does have these ingredients and is willing to experiment, I’d be very much interested in the results.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation