FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ŧ ŧ Creating Tiki ŧ ŧ Tiki Carving ŧ ŧ tok-tok, German tiki thing. News + pics on pg. 7+8
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
tok-tok, German tiki thing. News + pics on pg. 7+8
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-14 10:27, tok-tok wrote:

I not to rusted in...

Certainly not!!!
Welcome back nachbar!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 1:21 pm   Permalink

Welcome Back TokTok,
Don't worry about the rust, it'll scrape right off and you'll be up to speed and ahead in no time. What else you have in the works?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 3:57 pm   Permalink

Welcome back! 6 months time flys.
Good to see you are still hooked on the tikis.
Looking good.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 12:33 am   Permalink

tok-tok, welcome back!

Big or small, you've still got it, no worries there!

I like the little guys, they've got a bunch of personality.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 2:44 pm   Permalink

glad you are back, a lot of cool new stuff!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 08:42 am   Permalink

Vzzzt... bleep...ka-ching...

Thanks to all of you for welcoming me back.
laojia: Dankeschön. It is allways a pleasure to see someone new here in Europe interested in tiki styles and especially carving. Nice carving-place you have.

Benzart: You are a mentor for us all. I donīt worry about the rust neither. Iīll get back kneedeep in woodchips sooner or later.

seeksurf: Time flys, your are right. And it is good to be back in the boat. Your carvings are very inspiring to me. Was asked just yesterday, if itīs possible for me to do a north american totem pole. But it should have been ready till next saturday. In general I would except, but with this deadline and lack of space, I kinda unsure.

lakesurfer: Thanks for the compliments. Small was my favorite (enforced) size for the last months. I have to talk to some friends about finding a new shop. Still searching. But itīs not hopeless.

clarita: Itīs always nice, that you find your way here. Thank you.

I havenīt been too lazy the last months and rummaged through my tangled mass of pictures to find some carvings "in process". They are not all original tiki but kind of related to. Descriptions above the pictures.

No. 1
Someone here on TC inspired me to do a monster serie. There was a mummy, Frankenstein, a vampire and the Wolfman as wall hangings (Was that Alohastation?)
I wanted to do something similar.
Here is "Wolfie".

For the next piece my intention was to make a classical look. Not copied but inspired by early tiki mugs. It all came from imagination, no drafts. Is it tiki enough?

I read alot about carving and about ancient, pazific or rather midcentury tiki culture in the U.S.. But it comes to creating a new piece I rely on was is in my head. Mostly. So happend here.

I really dig the heads Benzart is doing with these unique proportions.
My bow (without copying).
I left it without any patterns, cause it was made out of spurce. Uneasy wood that is.

NexT: Not much tiki, but each one is carving skulls every now and then, so here is my pole (it has more a pendant size).

Quick one out of a basswood twig. Took me half an hour. As you can see.

I dig lonos. This one is ca. 8" tall and made out of basswood.

I guess I call this one "Gecko". Guess why. Made out of oak twig (8" tall as well).

I guess, I have let him hold something in his hands, he is looking quite uncomfortable.

For this one I again totally let my thoughts fly, combining some styles. Grin, headdress, arms, bearing. Basswood (6").

The marquesas style is also an important reference for me. But there are others who can set it up better than me. If you are carving this style seriously, you have to look up your notes more often. This one here is a free interpretation of it.

All other progress pics are slightly
cr@ppy, overexposed and stuff.
Next time I bring the pictures of the finished pieces. I mean, they are ready allready, but please enjoy these above first.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
tok-tok

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 5:20 pm   Permalink

Wow, a literal army of Tikis! Each one unique and with their own voice and character. Great job.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 02:02 am   Permalink

Impressive collection! All carving last weekend?
Very good work, my favorite is the lono, I like so much "wolfie" and also the skull pendant.
What is your carving technical? Chisel? Knive? Other?
And what about the finishing?

Oops sorry! Full of question for a sunday morning, I stop here.

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 05:26 am   Permalink

Excellent herd of tiki, you are getting some very nice details in your works, whet tools again are you using. Hard too say which one is my fav but the Frank is close!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 5:32 pm   Permalink

Nice mix of everything.

Would be cool to see you take on a NW style.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hilander
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-22 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-06 04:23, tok-tok wrote:
As I said, here are some more results of my absence and som details of the cherrywood panel.

Fantastic work tok-tok. This panel is my favorite!

View Profile of Hilander Send a personal message to Hilander      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 9:51 pm   Permalink

tok-tok,

This thread is really amazing. I think you appeared here around the time I disappeared, and now I'm back seeing your work for the first time. It took me a while to get through it all, but it was worth it. From start to finish you've come a long way and really churned out a lot of great tikis, with some real "breakthrough" pieces at different points along the way. The tiki bug hit you hard, I see! Very nice work!!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 10:00 am   Permalink

I totally missed your update. It was NOT me that did any Monsters. Try looking at Clydsdale's stuff - I know he did several Frankenstiens.

Great carves. You need to do some finish work. These will really POP with some stain and/or paint.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 5:51 pm   Permalink

Oops, where was I?

Thanks to all of you.
TikiMango: Thanks for the support. The army is growing slowly but steady. Really like, what you are doing to these bones. But I love to see a big one made out of wood again, too. You have an eye for styling them.

laojia: Thank you,too. No, not at one weekend. I am not carving very day, sadly there is not enough time for it. My collection takes itīs time.
I use both, knives and some micro-chisels when carving the small ones. For big projects I try to use the chainsaws alot and also have some electic power tools. Iīm always looking for new inspirations to get the work done easier. Kinda tooladdicted, too.
The finishing come further down the line.

Benzart: How was the birthday party? Hope, someone else sliced the cake . That accident was bad luck. Get well soon. Thank you, man. The wolfman is part of a monster serie I am doing just for fun.

seeksurf: The man from the bog! Thanks. I own a book about NW style carving but I must admit, I never thought about it. Maybe, one day, who knows? In Germany, there is only a small comuntity of people, who really know, what tiki is. We have no such background as you. Most people first think of totem poles when they see tikis. "Daddy, what is the man doing over there?" "Well, son, heīs carving a totempole". Nerving... So, I guess, I really should do that. At least one. But later.

Highlander: The cherry-panel was one of my favorites, too. I was doing it for my home, but there was this lady, who saw it and wanted it immediatly. So it went away from me,sadly. Many thanks for the supporting words.

Aaronīs Akua: Nice to see another wise guy here in my little hut. You are right. I read about you signing of the moderation as I decided to log on. Thanks for the many compliments. I came a long way but I am still on my way.

AlohaStation: Thank you for your advice. But I really couldnīt find, what I meant. I know about Clysdalles monsters, which I really admire, however it was something else.
I have saved the pictures a long time ago and it took me hours to find them again. I will post one now, but at least let me say, that the AlohaStation Style is always very inspiring to me.

Maybe, some of you will remember this one and give me a hint, who this was?

Here is my interpretation of a some classic movie monsters.

Frankie

Vlad

The Wolf

The Mummy (looking a bit like Ben Grimm of the Fantastic Four)

Happy family

My finished Benzart tribute, without detailing it. I hate detailing on spurce.

I have to smuggle some other carvings in here, among the tikis
I did not show up with this one, The piked One-eye. You have seen it unfinshed a couple of pages ago. Reminds me of KONG and KODOS, not knowing, which one first.

Laquered surface.

Letīs turn over to some more classic stuff again.
Finished marquesan. I let parts of the inner bark on him to get some more effects.

The one with the gecko.

LONO. Ready stained and waxed.

That mug thing.(No, it is a carving.)

It is late, I donīt know how to explain this one. Look at the mouth, that is what inspires me, when i look at AlohaStation carvings.

The Skull-Stick.

On this one I lost myself in detailing the details. Kinda problem of mine.

Thatīs it almost.

Three weeks ago I was asked to carve a panel for a stone sculptor.
My first bigger project after a couple of month.
Ok, itīs got nothing to do with tiki, but with carving.
Carving carving tools. For tooljunkies.

The rune is an traditional guild sign of the sculptors here in Germany, for some hundred years now and still in use.

Oh Man, am I tired or what? Way past midnight now. Good night.

Ta ra!
tok-tok

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 9:46 pm   Permalink

holy smokes! great stuff! i am really, really liking the skull stack. great idea doing the horror movie tribute. love those guys.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation