FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Reference Books for Oceanic Carving Inspiration.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Reference Books for Oceanic Carving Inspiration.
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-21 5:19 pm   Permalink

Here are mine, I thought I'd start this after seeing Tikimecula's reply in another thread. After he showed his bookshelf I bought a few of the ones he had. I spend way too much on books. Please add to this with your own collections so I can spend some more.

Hope this helps somebody.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-21 6:03 pm   Permalink

Wow Johnny, Nice Library you have there. Here are mine, I have actually added a few since this pic was taken. I get a pic up of the others also.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-22 5:20 pm   Permalink

Holy cats...what a great collection of reference material....and I thought I was getting into
the over-kill category. My stuff doesn't evens scratch the surface of what you are showing.
I did just purchase two reference books on Northwest Pacific totem carvings, so you can
expect more of that stuff to creep into my "tikis."
Great li-bary you have going there.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 05:54 am   Permalink

This is a great idea for a thread. You can always find something interesting to look up.
IŽll update with my books this week.

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-10-23 06:01 ]

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
griffithpark

Posted: 2007-10-23 11:20 am   Permalink

It was tikimecula's photo posting in the first thread that got me started. Since that posting I've acquired 40+ books. But I find several aren't worth the trouble. I started a thread for source material book reviews, but there was no interest.

View Profile of griffithpark Send a personal message to griffithpark  Email griffithpark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 1:52 pm   Permalink

griffithpark, you probably would have got a better response here than in "General Tiki", as I doubt very many non-carvers/artists collect books on Oceanic art with the same passion we do. Books to me are the fuel for my creative engine. More recently I have been building a digital library from scans, ebay listings, museums and tribal arts sites - almost 4,500 images now. It's a great way to get source pics of pieces you may otherwise never see, but nothing beats having a full page plate in a book with the accompanying text - except viewing the real thing in a museum or collection.
I try and be very selective with my purchases now - you find after a while that a lot of the same pieces appear in different books. I'll post some pics of my collection later too. There are definitely a few "standards" I think should be in every carver's library.
JP, you have quite a few books on my wishlist there - looks like you keep a keen eye on the local libraries "cancelled" tables?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
griffithpark

Posted: 2007-10-25 11:47 am   Permalink

Like you, I find the material very inspirational. This weeekend I'm starting on my first Oceanic fishing lures. If I hadn't seen it in a book...

Anyone have a recommendation for a book on canoe-building?

View Profile of griffithpark Send a personal message to griffithpark  Email griffithpark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-25 12:40 pm   Permalink

I can see 3 on the left of JP's 2nd pic that may help you...which reminds me, if you're reading this Johnny - what's the Vaka Moana book like? I really wish I could've got up to Auckland to see the exhibition. From a carver's viewpoint, what's it like as a resource book?
The
Polynesian Voyaging Society site has some really good info on canoes.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-26 04:16 am   Permalink

Not a lot but kind of very hard to find in France

Mahalo,

Ben.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-26 08:02 am   Permalink

psst.. ben, amazon.com..

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-27 03:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-26 04:16, benella wrote:
Not a lot but kind of very hard to find in France

I thought books on Oceanic art would be common there? Paris has always been one of the great collecting centres of the world, and was a birthplace of the appreciation of the primitive (as art) in modern art. Sotheby's and Christie's hold their major Oceanic and African sales in Paris and most of the world record prices have been set there. There must be some great finds lurking in some of the bookshops (like auction catalogues!), especially considering France's long involvement in the Pacific.

I finally got some legible pics of my books. The next shelf up has more books on art, crafts, carving, jade and NZ/Pacific history, but this is the most "tiki" shelf.
On the right, general books on Oceanic art and some on specific cultures:

In the middle - Heyerdahl, Pacific travel books, more Rapa Nui and all the little books of various categories (many of which unfortunately don't have spines to read):

On the left - Maori and Polynesian Pop:

There are still a lot of gaps to fill - Tiki Modern is next up on "the list"!

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-27 07:27 am   Permalink

Here is the start of my collection.

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 7:09 pm   Permalink

Thought i would Bump this up, and update.

Here is an updated pic of my bookshelf.

Also I got a GREAT new book the other day and thought i would share.

Oceanic Art, By Kaeppler, Kaufmann & Newton

Heres some of the 900+ images

It's a bit on the high side $ wise, but worth it for a great Oceanic Art resource book.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikimecula 2008-05-19 19:13 ]

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 7:12 pm   Permalink

wow, i need to start shopping more. i only have about 4 or 5 right now. my BOT was stolen. i still get a lot of great stuff from the web, too. thanks you guys.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whoseyrdaddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-19 9:09 pm   Permalink

Awesome thread! I'm just beginning to add to my library and would very much appreciate hearing what TCers/carvers ideas are on which books are must haves.

Mahalo
Brian

View Profile of whoseyrdaddy Send a personal message to whoseyrdaddy  Goto the website of whoseyrdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation