FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Reference Books for Oceanic Carving Inspiration.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Reference Books for Oceanic Carving Inspiration.
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 9:52 pm   Permalink

On a bookshelf somewhere in the South Pacific:

A simple 'rotate anti-clockwise' might help our viewers folks..

*Pdrake: note the little red book in first pic. The TePapa-press one you have coming in the post?

(please forgive the odd random non-tiki publication)

T

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 12:04 am   Permalink

The "Phallic Worship" one looks like an interesting read.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 12:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-20 00:04, Lake Surfer wrote:
The "Phallic Worship" one looks like an interesting read.

oops, how did that get in there..? must be one of MrsTamas..

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Buho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-20 12:09 am   Permalink

Oh gee, amazing libraries you own... I was stupid enough to think that there wouldn't be so much books on that topic.

View Profile of El Buho Send a personal message to El Buho  Email El Buho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 01:46 am   Permalink

This book cant be seen very well above and really deserves a mention of its own.

Im sure Ive told a few of you Chizzlers about it before but here it is again - with a few piccies to back up my claims. Its highly contemporary work, so I hope no-one minds me adding to the Oceanic Art bookshelf? But this is what todays Tohunga-whakairo/'Master' carvers are doing with inspiration drawn from the old works. A must-have in my opinion if simply to see examples of what heights can and are being attained.

WARNING: a strong sense of self-belief/confidence in ones OWN carving work is important before viewing these taonga: I wonder how many aspiring carvers have taken one look and thrown down their own chisels as a lost cause..?

[edit]: Reed Publishing(NZ). 2006

And on it goes.. weapons, masks, figures, bailers, lintels. Head-reeling stuff, some of the figures 6-7'+. This book never fails to blow my poor wee mind.

Only featuring the work of these two guys. 188pages, Awesome photography throughout. Buy it, support them, and do yourself a favour while you're at it! (printed in China, terrific..)

T

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-05-20 01:50 ]

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 2:51 pm   Permalink

HELP!! I just recieved an ex-library copy of 'Hawaiian Sculpture' by J Halley Cox:

..but some buggers' gone and torn out page75/6! Argh, hate that!

Im assuming there was something very groovy on one side and I want to know what!!?? - if anyone has a copy could you please post a pic here so I can see what Im missing..? Cheers

Tama

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 3:13 pm   Permalink

Here you go Tama!!!

Page 75

Page 76

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 4:04 pm   Permalink

Thank TFreak, much appreciated!

(goddam no-good, awesome double-pic, page-tearin' thief #@%*!..)

Tama

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 6:18 pm   Permalink

Tama, that contemporary Maori art book would be Soaked in Drool by the first day, Awesome stuff. I've seen some of that work from those 2 masters and it is truly Bind boggling how they "Stretch" the wood they use.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 12:53 am   Permalink

WOW Tama ! God bless you ! I was searching for several weeks some pix of maori carvings like the first pix that is very contemporary ! Yipee ! I saw one like this in trader vics London but didn't take enough pix. I am going to buy this book with no delay Happy happy happy.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 01:10 am   Permalink

Nice one Benjamin! The hands on that figure youre standing with sure look like the work of Roi & Todd - perhaps one of their earlier works or maybe by someone they studied with/under? I know theyve sold at an amazing gallery in Canada so I guess getting them around the globe is no obstacle.

Maybe you could post your impressions/review of the book here if you buy it. Im sure you wont be disappointed.

Tama

Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-19 12:47 pm   Permalink

Tama, tikifreak1,

the "hawaiian sculpture" book looks interesting. Does it have many pics of traditional hawaiian tikis like the ku above ?

For the Germans/Euros here:
I've been looking for the "oceanic arts" book mentioned a couple of times here and only found expensive used versions on US websites. Then I came across a book which looks like a german reissue of it called "Ozeanien" by the same authors for less than 60 Euros. It's still not really cheap, but better than dealing with customs and a used book in unknown condition.
600+ pages, the photos match the ones posted here. ISBN is 3-451-22974-9

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 1:07 pm   Permalink

Traderbob, here is a link I found so you can preview the book before to make sure you like it. The book Tama has I believe is the original and I have the revised (but both the same). I think the book you mentioned is a mix of oceanic art (not just Hawaiian) but not sure??? Hope this helps. Somebody else might be able to give you more info.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NeCyfTKm50gC&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=halley+cox&source=web&ots=IAmouflEla&sig=AGRJ4Xr3rsyNZeExX7-FK9PcvnY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPP1,M1

I just noticed it is not the whole book, but it does have more of the carvings you are looking for!!!!

Craig

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2008-06-19 13:10 ]

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-19 1:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the link tikifreak, I didn't know they had these kinds of books on display there. Very cool, the last time I had a look there I found old nautical/navigation stuff...

I think that's what I'm looking for.

Cheers,

Bobo

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 2:49 pm   Permalink

Wow, this must be "Rip off a kiwi carver" week on TC....

Sven has stated in another thread that this particular Trader Vic's tiki is "Poly-Asian" in origin - I'm pretty sure they were selling em at the big warehouse sale a while back. Obviously the Indonesian carvers who supply Trader Vic's have their own copy of the book or found this piece online somewhere.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation