FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Reference Books for Oceanic Carving Inspiration.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Reference Books for Oceanic Carving Inspiration.
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 5:11 pm   Permalink

i doubt it was the carvers themselves. more than likely it was the importer.

sheesh, there's more than enough traditional pieces to copy from. why on earth would someone copy a modern piece with a current carver?

leroy and bob did it right.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 6:36 pm   Permalink

Ohhhh yeah, Traderbob. Yes the Oceanic Art book I think you are talking about is great. It has a lot of PNG stuff in it, but is does have smaller sections from different places. A bunch of people have it in there shelves on the first page (mine is on the table (top left corner).

Craig

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 10:30 am   Permalink

Here is a book on scrimshaw and how to do it. The book was written in era before preserving our natural resources became a world priority. Though the book disturbingly uses ivory for the examples and demonstrating carving work it plainly states the techniques can be used on other materials like beef bones and even plexiglass.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 14:51, Tamapoutini wrote:
HELP!! I just recieved an ex-library copy of 'Hawaiian Sculpture' by J Halley Cox:

..but some buggers' gone and torn out page75/6! Argh, hate that!

Im assuming there was something very groovy on one side and I want to know what!!?? - if anyone has a copy could you please post a pic here so I can see what Im missing..? Cheers

There is another example of Hawaiian sculpture that was omitted from that book. But not torn out just not included in even the revised edition.

This little guy didn't make the book. I have another picture somewhere I'll try and post it here when I find it.

Nice book collection JohnnyP, My collection seems so sad now.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 8:22 pm   Permalink

There's a whole page on that little fella - had it bookmarked for a while:
A rare Hawaiian ivory pendant in the collection of the Peabody Essex Museum

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 2:45 pm   Permalink

Here's another book to put on your list. Good stuff! Some items i had not seen before in my other books. Full page color pics also. Book measures 9"x12"

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 9:22 pm   Permalink

Here is a book I bought at the swap meet a while back for $1.00.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 01:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-20 01:46, Tamapoutini wrote:

[edit]: Reed Publishing(NZ). 2006

I've waited so long for that book and it arrived yesterday with some bills ! This book is a "must have".

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 4:47 pm   Permalink

Similar to W. Ben Hunt's "Lets whittle" in the Book of Tiki, this is a carving book that has some reference to tikis. Not much of a help to learn to carve, more on the theory of carving, but interesting for the tiki connection.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 5:37 pm   Permalink

bumpity bump

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 08:06 am   Permalink

Mahalo,
Highly informative tread, since the only book i have on this subject was "the book of tiki", by Taschen
Every 1st Sunday of the month the shops are open and being a shop owner myself i thought i'd go book hunting
as i never work on Sunday. I wore my first pendant for some extra mana and i think i will never take it of again. At the first bookstore i attended, right as i was about to leave the store i spotted "Oceanic Art", by Anthony JP Meyer at the bottom of a stack of books about 4ft high. When i asked about the price, the store owner told me he had another one in the back still in plastic priced €29,90 (thats about $40,-). So here i am right back at home. Coffee is brewing and i thought i'd bumb this tread with this "i'm so happy i found this story", before i spent the rest of my Sunday reading.

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gooberfreek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-30 11:46 am   Permalink

Well here are books so far...

Not that many I know but Tiki stuff is quite hard to come by over this way...

View Profile of Gooberfreek Send a personal message to Gooberfreek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 4:34 pm   Permalink

i have been collecting for a few months and have found these books helpful in art styles by island groups as well as general history of the migration of people through the islands. the one i like a lot is "island ancestors". hope this helps anybody out there in tiki land. also found that buying used books on amazon in most cases was cheaper than buying on ebay. It goes without saying to all out in tiki land new in their quest for knowledge....buy "the book of Tiki" FIRST!!

[ This Message was edited by: Creative Chimp 2009-04-15 08:22 ]

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-06 9:22 pm   Permalink

1998 Art of the Pacific by Anne D'Alleva

Muy bueno!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 12:26 pm   Permalink

Is this the definitive Oceanic art book thread? I don't like the title of it because I am not a carver and it's not old enough. I know Buzzy likes to promote it...

I bought this one yesterday for 3 dollah (Boston accent)

Art of the South Pacific Islands
Paul S. Wingert

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2010-03-18 12:27 ]

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation