Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge So Cal Fire Question
So Cal Fire Question
tiki-tina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 1:54 pm   Permalink

Is is just me, or does it seem odd that all of these fires started almost instantaneously all around southern California, but the news media has not mentioned anything about how peculiar this is or how they were started.

Is it just me, or does it seem like all the fires popped up all at once, all across So. Cal and there is a "media blackout" over what actually caused them?

My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the fires. We're here for you...please know we are ready and willing to do whatever we can to help!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki-tina 2007-10-23 14:51 ]

View Profile of tiki-tina Send a personal message to tiki-tina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 2:32 pm   Permalink

while they have already indicated that at least one of the fires was arson, it's a relatively simple explanation. Wind.

The fires started when the wind picked up. wind carries things like cigarettes into areas that they normally wouldn't be and helps fan the flames.

Since the whole area was dry already, it didn't take much for the wind to make this happen.

This is one reason I hate it when people throw their cigarettes on the ground. The other key reasons are that I don't like my community treated like a garbage pile and it increases taxes to have to pay for the people who clean up after these people.

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 2:39 pm   Permalink

It's true that one of the fires is arson....but I agree with tikitina...seems all too suspicious that this happened at once and the media is toooo focused on the fires...smells like another conspiracy...

My heart goes out to the people who are affected by the fires.

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 3:21 pm   Permalink

high winds, dry weather ... doesn't take much to set us ablaze. I think Malibu started from a downed power line?

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 3:56 pm   Permalink

I think most of the fires in San Diego County are blamed on high Santa Ana winds (up to 90 MPH in some areas) downing high power lines (usually by falling trees) for the fire outbreaks. It's really had a disruptive effect on our everyday lives here. Schools are closed, Freeways closed, power outages, 300,000 people ordered to evacuate their homes and all the hotels, motels, school gymnasiums and Qualcom Stadium filling up with fire refugees. Even Governor Schwarzenegger visited yesterday to survey the disaster scene. "This is a terrible waste of prime realestate" he said (while flicking his lit cigar butt into a pile of dry leaves).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-23 15:56, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Even Governor Schwarzenegger visited yesterday to survey the disaster scene. "This is a terrible waste of prime realestate" he said (while flicking his lit cigar butt into a pile of dry leaves).

Since when do you have leaves in SoCal?

Now here in Maine, it's another story.
http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/report/

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 5:16 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Heath 2008-01-09 22:38 ]

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 7:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-23 17:07, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-10-23 15:56, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Even Governor Schwarzenegger visited yesterday to survey the disaster scene. "This is a terrible waste of prime realestate" he said (while flicking his lit cigar butt into a pile of dry leaves).

Since when do you have leaves in SoCal?

It was marijuana leaves...dontcha know

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-24 8:32 pm   Permalink

.......My nephew Andy is a Marine. He's in charge of a medical team at Camp Pendleton. As you can imagine, hes been pretty busy the last few days. The way I can show my thanks to him is "sponsoring" his Saturday night out, this Saturday! He's gonna come up & see his "Unca Jeff's" band, The Agents of VooDoo!! Apparently the poor boy has no taste in music what so ever!!!.................................Remy

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-24 8:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-23 14:39, ravenne wrote:
It's true that one of the fires is arson....but I agree with tikitina...seems all too suspicious that this happened at once and the media is toooo focused on the fires...smells like another conspiracy...

If it is another conspiracy why don't they send one of those conspiracy fan favorite Man Made Katrina Hurricanes over to put out the fires?

Hmm?

- Love Boris

Bora Boris - Boss of the world

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-24 10:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-24 20:42, Bora Boris wrote:
If it is another conspiracy why don't they send one of those conspiracy fan favorite Man Made Katrina Hurricanes over to put out the fires?

Hmm?

- Love Boris

Bora Boris - Boss of the world

But...

Goody-good gum drups?
~Ravvies?

Yer weird Borita!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-26 06:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-23 14:32, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
while they have already indicated that at least one of the fires was arson, it's a relatively simple explanation. Wind.

The fires started when the wind picked up. wind carries things like cigarettes into areas that they normally wouldn't be and helps fan the flames.

Since the whole area was dry already, it didn't take much for the wind to make this happen.

This is one reason I hate it when people throw their cigarettes on the ground. The other key reasons are that I don't like my community treated like a garbage pile and it increases taxes to have to pay for the people who clean up after these people.

..sb

Oh don't get me started on butt-flinging idiots!!! I just hate that, people just don't realize the danger of such actions.

Yes the wind is part of the problem...it swirls around the canyons, same sort of pattern every year, then throw in an arsonist or two and the nightmare begins.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-26 10:38 am   Permalink

....and .5% humidity!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation