[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » can anyone tell me about al harrington
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
can anyone tell me about al harrington
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 10:38 am   Permalink

We bought an Al Harrington record at a thrift store a while back and I was just wondering who is was. The record is pretty great...kinda cheesy but I like it. It is signed and everything! Just wondered if he was very popular. Any info?

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-02-07 1:21 pm   Permalink

Ah, yes. Al Harrington - The South Pacific Man. He was a Don Ho knock-off if I'm not mistaken. I have a couple of buckets with his mug (ha ha) on 'em.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 2:09 pm   Permalink

I actually went to his show around '74. I was 11. I don't remember the hotel. It was on Waikiki Beack. I think he even appeared on Hawaii Five O.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 2:36 pm   Permalink

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 2:36 pm   Permalink

More info:
http://starbulletin.com/96/09/02/features/story1.html

Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-07 7:22 pm   Permalink

Ah, yes... my man AL! Indeed AL is a lot like a "Don Ho, Jr.": He had long-running revues at both the Sheraton Polynesian Palace and the Hilton Hawaiian Village that were full of croonin' and dancin' and his own style of comedy and audience interaction. He was also a frequent guest star on many television shows (including a stint as 'Ben Kokua' on Hawaii Five-0). Before becoming "The South Pacific Man" (real name: Tauasu Ta'a, born in W. Samoa, hence 'South Pacific Man', not 'Hawaiian Man', I'd surmise), AL was an All-American high school football player, and later, a teacher of history at Punahou School (where he had been a scholar/athlete). I have a whole collection of AL stuff: from mugs, short glasses and tall glasses to autographed programs and albums, even a "Live On Stage" video of his show from 1984 (which has to be seen to be believed - it's a classic!), but I'm afraid I know nothing of his whereabouts today. I thought I read something about doing Shakespeare at some point, but I'm not sure...

BTW - this is obviously NOT the same Al Harrington that plays b-ball for the Pacers...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-08 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-07 19:22, Doctor Z wrote:

BTW - this is obviously NOT the same Al Harrington that plays b-ball for the Pacers...

Oh, great.

Another sporto with a Tiki name.

You know, whenever I have done web searched for 'Tiki Bar' I always get tons of links to Tiki Barber that I have to filter out.

Now you're telling m that I will also have to do the same if I want to research Al Harrington at any time in the future.

Man, what is it with these jocko homos putting a monkey wrench in our on-line Tiki research?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-10 07:55 am   Permalink

Wakiki- Hey, I've got an autographed "I Love This Land" LP by Harrington.
Not bad.

BonBon & Doc - Thanks for the info!

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-10 4:10 pm   Permalink

That's the same one that I was talking about Stingray! Thanks for all the info everyone. I had just never heard a lot about him before.

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rawsco15

Posted: 2003-10-16 2:23 pm   Permalink

I am Al Harrington's daughter. No lie! I am the third child of four. I have two older brothers and a little sister. If you want to truely know who Al is you can email me at rawsco15@hotmail.com. I agree the LP is cheesey. But defiantely they are fun memories for my family. I honestly can not believe that there are still LP's still in circulation. It blows me away. Just so you know my dad wrote the song I Love This Land about our home and my brothers. Thanks for giving me some laughs. I had to chuckle when I found my dad's name on a message board. Mahalo, Cass

View Profile of rawsco15 Send a personal message to rawsco15      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 2:31 pm   Permalink

my father-in-law gave me an al harrington mug for christmas. thanks for the history lesson!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 2:37 pm   Permalink

Rawsco15,
Too cool you are the South Pacific daughter...
Please post your perspectives on your Pop for us here... I'm sure you must have a few stories we would all enjoy. How did you find this site?
Mahalo,
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 2:46 pm   Permalink

Welcome, rawsco15, to Tiki Central! We hope to hear more from you about your dad & yourself.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

rawsco15 wrote:
I am Al Harrington's daughter. No lie! I am the third child of four. I have two older brothers and a little sister. If you want to truely know who Al is you can email me at rawsco15@hotmail.com...Mahalo, Cass

Aloha Cass!
Well, instead of a bunch of emails, and since this thread was started in order to get some info on your dad, why don't you give us some info right here?! You can be as detailed or as vague as you like (but we're nosey, so details are better!) I'm sure questions will begin to be submitted as details are revealed.

Ok, I'll start with a question: BONBONVIC's link (above) is an article from 1996. What has Al been doing since 1996?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 4:10 pm   Permalink

When I was a boy, my family went on vacation to Hawaii. It was 1982/83, I was to celebrate my 11th birthday there. One of the highlights (for me) was the Al Harrington show.

Though it's hard for me to remember much, I do remember a few of his jokes:

(Upon finding out that some of the audience members were from Canada):
"Oh yes! Canada...lovely place. I remember travelling through Canada and seeing signs that said "Clean Washrooms" at all the gas stations. I ended up cleaning 234 of 'em" (rimshot)

-Slacks

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation