FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Beware, more tiki going mainstream!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Beware, more tiki going mainstream!
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-14 08:33 am   Permalink

Thanks Bong, I just slapped myself, so you wouldn't have to. bad jungletrader, bad, bad, bad.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-02-14 10:33 am   Permalink

Hey, I'm (and Madam Bong) are as guilty as anyone. When I see anything remotely tiki it gets my immediate attention (just like a set of nice cans on an otherwise unattractive woman).

Lake Surfer - hey, I still think you boys got some big stones to be surfing in the temperatures that you do. Besides, I've surfed my (and Baxdog's) fair share of knee-high slop here in H.B.

Surfing is like another thing that comes (no pun intended) to mind - it's all good, it's just that some is better.

Aloha brothers and sisters...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-14 11:07 pm   Permalink

Damn! I missed the President's Day Sale!?! I skipped this thread for a few days (okay... a week) thinking we had discussed everything that needed to be discussed! How the hell was I to know that the Shopping Tips would Continue!?!
Anyhow... Some of you guys gotta realize that the vast majority of us (Americans, not neccesarily Tiki-Centralites) live in places where Tikis NEVER SHOW UP IN THRIFT STORES! We gotta get it where we can.
The growing popularity of Tiki is a great assistance to us in areas where it was never so popular to begin with. Where I live Tiki was never more than a Cult Phenomenon and never will be. Those of us building our own bars need all the help we can get. To tell us that we can't purchase something that is useful at a Mall (when the Mall is the only place that we can purchase anything, period) is a bit ugly. Have you noticed that the price on some original Orchids of Hawaii Tiki Mugs is getting kinda Stupid (upwards, in some cases, of $70 or $80)on ebay these days? And then you're gonna dis me for ordering from Archie McPhee?

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-15 12:47 am   Permalink

Kohl's has a sale every week, which always makes me wonder how much they really buy their stuff for... the tikis will probably be on sale the rest of the year... We must have about 10 Kohl's in the Milwaukee area... that's a lot of tikis on sale...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chacha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-15 6:03 pm   Permalink

Vic - I just happen to have a sale flyer right here and the sale is on until Feb 22. I agree with LS that these things will be on sale for a while. The Kohl's I went to is still getting this stuff in (in the Summer Living section of the store, mind you, it's snowing outside) and I'd bet there will be more coming in and better sales to come.
I think Tikibar said this will be the Summer of the Tiki and I think he's right.

View Profile of Chacha Send a personal message to Chacha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-15 7:01 pm   Permalink

I got the picture frame and one set of moai lights. I went to the one in Belair, so I had to invade JohnTiki's stompin' grounds. Not to worry, the Lady looked at me kinda funny when I told her they were going up in my house...tonight! Lots of stuff left, I am sure Centralites in the Balto/Harford Co area will be only people buying this stuff right now. Getting it on Sale wasn't to shabby either!

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-29 07:07 am   Permalink

From ThatsCountry.com

Country News
Guitars, Tiki Bars + A Whole Lotta Love
By Heather McBee _ RCA Label Group
Dec 15, 2003, 17:09

Kenny Chesney Packs His Pukkas & Hits the Road When The Sun Goes Down

Nashville, TN: The leaks had started a couple weeks prior... who was going out, where it was going to play... And as the year winds down and "There Goes My Life," the lead single from Kenny Chesney's eagerly anticipated When The Sun Goes Down, hits #1 on Billboard's Country Singles chart after a mere 9 weeks, the reigning Academy of Country Music Top Male Vocalist is already getting started on next year's tour.

(snip)

For the record, this year's tour -- in support of When The Sun Goes Down, which hits stores Feb. 3 -- is the aptly-named Guitars, Tiki Bars + Whole Lotta Love Tour.

*anybody*? (groan)

p.s. note that i plugged this into an older thread - is it appropriate? i didn't want to start a new one called "country music tiki revival" or anything... i ramble on... doh j$

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-01-29 07:23 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-29 10:24 am   Permalink

IMHO, I like it when people resurrect old threads and add new, relevant data to it.

That way, all of the important info on a certain topic is in one place.

Now, has anyone heard this guy's music?

He named his TOUR (not his record) "Guitars, Tiki Bars... etc", which makes his tour, officially

(ready for it?)

A Redneck Road Trip.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vwtikigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-29 10:37 am   Permalink

I've heard his music, and know a bit about him. The music for this tour has a Jimmy Buffet feel, and he talks about spending his time in the Caribbean and Mexico, don't think he has ever even mentioned Hawaii. Nothing against him, but the use of the tiki in the title doesn't fit at all.

View Profile of vwtikigirl Send a personal message to vwtikigirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-29 2:30 pm   Permalink

I just bought 2 sets of Tiki lights in Big Lots:

& a pair of Tiki pajama pants in Target. Cheezy Tiki products are getting more popular all the time, it's not just Kohl's anymore.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 12:01 am   Permalink

This sort of topic comes up perpetually in several communities I'm a part of, and I can certainly appreciate the concern. There is a reasonable fear about the cheaping of Goth, the increasingly poor quality of the anime imported to the mainstream, or the possibility of Neo-Victorianism and Steampunk going above ground (okay, maybe the last one isn't so reasonable...). In this case, it's the growing popularity of Tiki, which my even being here may or may not be a consequence of.

Upon analysis, however, I sometimes wonder what the real problem is from the perspective of either camp. On one hand, if you genuinely love Tiki (or Goth, or anime, or Steampunk, or...), then I don't necessarily see the problem. One's affections are a positive value, not judged on a scale of who or how many others like it (a negative value).

If you genuinely love it, then it's popularity or lack thereof becomes a non-issue. You'll love it if it's hip and you'll love it if it's not. You'll love it if it makes you hip and you'll love it if it makes you a geek. You'll love it if there's only a few quality items to be found at thrift stores and you'll love it if it's hanging mass produced from the displays of every five-and-dime in the country.

Speaking from my personal experience, where genuinely loving something places you when it goes mainstream is that it gives a base from which to assess quality. As a Goth I can criticize Hot Topic not merely for it's existance, but because they sell ugly clothes and bad music. As a Steampunk fan, I can criticize the <i>LXG</i> movie not simply because it exists, but because it was a bad movie and a travesty of the comic. Far be it from me to consider myself a Tiki fan, but the mere existance of, say, neon blue Tiki lights doesn't bother me... I just wouldn't pick them up for my Tiki room because I think they look bad.

On the other hand, if you're into Tiki because noone else is, then I don't see the major issue. What forms the basis of this affection for Tiki is not Tiki itself, but the fact that liking Tiki makes you different. No biggie: when Tiki becomes popular, just move on to the next thing that makes you different. Since mainstream fads are cyclical, there's never a shortage of lifestyles you can adopt that will distinguish you from everyone else.

The point I did find interesting was the one made about how other peoples' perceptions of you change when you haven't changed at all. It is frustrating, to be sure, to always have to qualify what you say about yourself (in my case, "no I don't like Marilyn Manson, I don't watch <i>Pokemon</i> and 'it's a bad example, but Steampunk is kinda' like Wild Wild West'.") or to have people think you're so passe. But if you love the thing, then I'm sure one can deal. Heck, a witty comeback is always a welcome opportunity ("no honey, I'm not behind the times... I'm beating you out the next time you jump on the bandwagon.").

I dunno'... For whatever it's worth...

Cory

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 12:19 am   Permalink

steampunk?

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 06:14 am   Permalink

I'm not much for picking up plastic tiki thingymabobs at Target (I have limited space so I stick to mugs and paintings) but I was pretty jazzed when Old Navy was selling tiki boxer shorts a few years back. My husband looks awfully cute in them. I also got some 'late nite luau' pyjamas. That was fun!

It seems every big chain store has tried to pull off a tiki/hula themed summer season over the past few years, but none of them were too successful - Pottery Barn comes to mind.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-30 00:19, tikitanked wrote:
steampunk?

Steampunk:
http://welcome.to/steampunk

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 4:12 pm   Permalink

Wow, I LOVE Steampunk! I've always admired the Vernsian vision of the future, and in fact plan to redecorate my office in that style someday. I just had no idea it was a THING. You know, a lifestyle choice, like Tiki. Wow. Learn something new every day...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation