FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » Bigbro's African Safari
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Bigbro's African Safari
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-31 06:21 am   Permalink

This is not a prank, I actually arrived in Capetown today to work on my next German TV movie, to be entirely shot in South Africa (even 4 days of Germany scenes will be done here ). The next days I will spend location scouting. It will be a classic "African Queen" stuffy-European-lady-falls-in-love-with-rugged-game-park-ranger kitsch fest. with lots of animals, bad guy poachers, and the like. Depending on my internet connection I will report from this adventure, which is slightly more exotic than shooting in Bavaria...if only slightly.

To show that I am well prepared, here are some soundtracks I brought along:

Once I get to the bush, I will holler in excitement....

...while the natives look on with suspicion.

I will charm the village princess....

....by wearing the appropriate dress...

...but eventually end up like all white men do!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-10-31 06:22 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-31 08:12 am   Permalink

Let me know if you ever need a white guy to play an African native. I can dance too.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-10-31 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-31 08:12, Jungle Trader wrote:
Let me know if you ever need a white guy to play an African native. I can dance too.

GROG not remember, but was Tarzan born in Africa, or just grew up there from the time he was an infant?

Good luck shooting Sven. GROG hope you have plenty of bug repellant and lion repellant.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-31 11:40 am   Permalink

You've got it all planned out, Sven. Looking forward to the reports from the bush (as it were).

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-31 12:57 pm   Permalink

Ah Man... That Marais LP cover is CLASSIC!! I have a few Marais Miranda Lp's but I've never seen that one!!

Have fun Sven!! Cape Town is a beautiful city.

If you get a weekend off, definitely try to take a trip to Knysna Forest and George. Ultra beautiful!!Just be careful. Although Cape Town is no Jo'burg, crime is still rampant. If anyone flags your car down, put the pedal to the metal and drive as fast as you can!!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-02 1:23 pm   Permalink

I won't have much time off, but I will be shooting (photographing!) a baby elephant in Knysna...don't think in the forest though.

HERE is the real soundtrack to cliche TV Africa:

Daktari was classic late 60s Africa TV kitsch, some of it shot in Africa, and, according to the end credits, in "Africa, USA":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INFmPsTtYH8

Shelly Manne, THE drummer of 50s/60s West coast Jazz (and proprietor of his own L.A. bar, "Shelly's ManneHole"), recorded a fine soundtrack for it, and this Exotica Jazz formed an early influence in my young impressionable mind in Hamburg, Germany.

I always wondered: WHAT instrument made that "Weeeeiiiinng-weee-ying" sound for the lion Clarence's cross-eyed vision optical effect?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-02 3:12 pm   Permalink

Here are the first pics from the dark continent:

Welcome!

In the thorny bush:

What is wrong with this picture?:

(the English driving system)

The lost continent is not so hard to find after all:

Bartholomaeus Klip lodge:

Lodge interior:

Location scout transport:

Far, far from civilization:

Mandisa Lodge, a deserted farm:

Empty stables:

God's lighting is always the best:

The three African languages: English---Africaans---African (one of 12 dialects):

Near the Cape of Good Hope:

Modern primitive art at Capetown location:

A tropical textured room?:

...actually the roof of the veranda:

That's all, folks! Tomorrow I'm off to Jo'burg (Johannesburg) to film all kinds wild animals for cutaways

Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 11:04 am   Permalink

Great pics sven! I love your scouting vehicle.

Lookin' forward to the next update! (especially pics of old land rovers and toyotas doin' what they're meant to do )

Have fun!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2007-11-03 11:05 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 5:33 pm   Permalink

Sven! So for the last week I have been meaning to call you. Now look where you are!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 8:09 pm   Permalink

Are there Tikis in Africa? Man I gotta go! Maybe Sven's next book will be about African Tikis and their influence on..... Nevermind.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 11:06 pm   Permalink

Ummm...!?....not "Tikis" really, that is a Polynesian tradition. But if you know my writings, mid-century Tiki pop culture is, though predominantly Polynesian, also influenced by other forms of primitive art, like African carvings, which, together with other Oceanic art, were a big inspiration for the European avantgarde of the 1910s/20s. Which in turn inspired modernism, which then brought back primitivism in the mid-century, at which point the whole aesthetic evolution came full circle.

Here are some examples of African pop primitivism I photographed so far:

Column at Capetown airport:

Card and bookmarks bought at Capetown airport:

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-06 6:14 pm   Permalink

nice bookmarks

anyone esle think this?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-06 6:16 pm   Permalink

and now I thinking Casey Casum

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 02:34 am   Permalink

So for those who are open minded and curious enough, and who believe, like me, that the pop culture recreations of exotic worlds other than (but related to) Tiki can be fascinating and a lot of fun, here are some more pictures from the Wild:

Quiet Village:

A typical African settlement, deserted for fear of slave traders that roam the area.....NOT!

This is, of course, a film set, where else would one find such a cliche. Last weekend I got to shoot a lot of the animal footage for the film, (principal photography will not begin until next Tuesday). The best place to do this was at the Glen Afric game park near Johannesburg. The animals there are quite tame, and can be directed in the desired setting with food, so you can say "We'd like the giraffes here, some Elephants on the hill there, and the Zebras down in the grass over there..."

They currently are shooting two TV series at Glen Afric (apparently contemporary versions of DAKTARI), the British “Wild At Heart” came first, and now they are re-shooting the same scripts for the American market with AMERICAN actors (!?) for an intelligently titled series called “Life Is Wild” (why not “Africa Gone Wild”?) There are lots of sets, they built the big lodge TWICE, so they can shoot parallel, but we needed animals in the wild.

Our lodge were we slept had a nice A-frame roof:

Some bars only need ONE piece of décor to create an exotic effect:

The same bar, after some bottles of Windhoek beer and shots of Conquerer Rum:

Next day, my first view of African wild life:

This guy has to do a shitload of work to get the ball rolling: The famous African dung beetle rolls his cargo with his hind legs while his wife enjoys the ride.

Let’s start small:

The attractive wart hog

The wild Wilderbeasts:

Watch Out! Zebra crossing!

These patterns would look good on my Witco couch.

Hallo handsome:

The real thing:

Chewing the cudd:

And now, for the grand finale:

Lions’ lunch

Cute cats…

The thing was, the lion was not allowed to roam around the landscape freely (but WHY !?), so how was one to film him without the fence in the foreground!

I found out:

Once I was in the cage, the game keeper casually mentioned that the lion was a bit grumpy today, because his mate was in heat. GREAT!

Sniff sniff

Getting the hell out of there!

Next: Impressions from Capetown

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-11-08 03:35 ]

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 04:20 am   Permalink

Looks like you are having fun Sven.
Whilst I dont know how many actual Tikis you may come across in S.A. there is Tiki there in the form of the Village called "Tiki Tiki" on the West coast, a bit further afeild is another village in Niger called "Tiki" and a river in Zimbabwe called "Tiki".
Maybe the word means something in African dialects as well?

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation