FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mt. Fuji Inn / Mai Tai Lounge, Omaha, NE (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mt. Fuji Inn / Mai Tai Lounge, Omaha, NE (restaurant)
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 5:16 pm   Permalink

Mt Fuji is in the news, still kickin' and alive. Mai Tai Mike, still a grump.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120719/GO/707199987

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-20 05:43 am   Permalink

I think a pilgrimage is in order! Can't believe I've been going there for 24 years. I hope for another 24!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-07 11:00 pm   Permalink

My friend and I met a group of people at Frankie's in Vegas tonight. They are from Omaha (in town for a Wedding) and told me about this place. They love it (and frankie's). Not sure when I will ever get to Omaha, but I will check the Mai Tai out if I am in town!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 3:41 pm   Permalink

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121126/GO/121129695/1685

Mt Fuji is closing down. We'll see how long the Mai Tai lounge stays open.

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-11-26 7:34 pm   Permalink

Published Monday November 26, 2012

DINING NEWS

Mt. Fuji Inn to close

The Mt. Fuji Inn, at 7215 Blondo St., is closing.

The restaurant's owners said in an email that health issues, declining business and a lack of staff are prompting the closure. Its final day of business will be Dec. 31.

The restaurant will still be available for private functions or large parties by reservation only. The Mai Tai Lounge, in the basement of the restaurant, will remain open Tuesday through Saturday and will still serve Asian appetizers.
- Sarah Baker Hansen

Wow! What a depressing day.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-27 05:51 am   Permalink

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/Mt-Fuji-Inn-Restaurant-To-Close-December-31st-180902971.html?ref=971

I had a long talk with Mai Tai Mike on November 17th. He warned me the restaurant was closing and he's not sure how long the lounge will stay open. He talked of opening a bar of his own somewhere else in the city possibly.

He mentioned that one of the owners husband has late stage cancer. Between that and trying to keep the restaurant going, it's becoming too much. If they sell the place to someone, the new owner would be forced by Omaha to upgrade the whole place to today's safety codes. That could be prohibitively expensive considering the reduced attendance.

I'm grateful I had a chance recently to spend time there, been going there for 25 years and I will miss it.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 01:51 am   Permalink

I'm so sorry to hear about the closing of Mt Fuji. I first went there in 2009 when I was sitting with an aunt for the last few days of her life at a nursing home. When others could sit with her, I went to Mt Fuji for a change from that generally gloomy scenario. The owner showed me how the raised platform in the middle of the dining area used to be a pool, into which I am told the portholes in the basement Mai Tai lounge looked. In 2010 I took a friend there when we were in Omaha for a Roger Waters concert. Earlier this year, I took my then-girlfriend and my mom to Mt Fuji when we were in town for another show. I'll still go to the Mai Tai lounge when I'm in town as long as it remains.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-28 11:01 am   Permalink

Stopped into the Mai Tai Lounge over the weekend. They are still open! Mai Tai Mike was there on Friday. They were pretty busy Friday and Saturday. Sadly they are now out of Coconut Snow for their Chi Chi's and the replacement ingredient made the drink taste funky!

You can still get a delicious pupu platter from the kitchen even though the restaurant is closed.

Our weapons of choice were the Mai Tai, Scorpion, Fog Cutter and Chi Chi!

Please go if you're in Omaha!

SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-28 4:01 pm   Permalink

That's GREAT news! I was worried that I wouldn't make it back in time, but maybe we still have a chance.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-30 08:24 am   Permalink

So glad to hear this as well. I had just noticed Facebook merged the "Mai Tai Lounge, 7215 Blondo Street,Omaha, NE" page with that of an Omaha Thai restaurant, "Mai Thai 2 Aksarben Village", so I was wondering if they were still there. The Mt Fuji Inn/Mai Tai Lounge website is still up with no mention of the restaurant closing. It wouldn't hurt Mai Tai Lounge to put a web presence out there. tikiphiles know they're there but even locals who aren't regulars might be confused. I just mentioned them on my Facebook and a few central Kansans now want to go.

Quote:

On 2013-10-28 16:01, SilverLine wrote:
That's GREAT news! I was worried that I wouldn't make it back in time, but maybe we still have a chance.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 9:05 pm   Permalink

Saturday Oct. 19, 2013. We FINALLY made our way up to Omaha and dropped in on the Mai-Tai Lounge. It's really a laid back and fun, friendly place. We had a very, very nice time. Mike and the gang really made our visit special right from the time we arrived. I parked the car and was snapping some photos outside when Mrs. 8FT started talking to some folks in the parking lot. Turns out it was Mike the bartender and he quickly figured out I was one of those "tiki central guys". There weren't any other patrons...yet, so he took us inside and gave us a neat tour of the whole place. So here are some pictures of a very memorable evening:

Entrance to the parking area is through a neat Japanese archway. They told us that some vandals recently set fire to it and it had to be repaired.

A closeup of the neon sign at dusk. It doesn't light up anymore.

The door has been repainted since the photo earlier in the thread. Let's go inside!

Here Mike shows where the access to the dolphin pool was.

Just down these stairs which are under the restaurant dining room floor.

A couple of views of the dining room.

Here's a view of various lamps in the stairwell between restaurant and bar.

And a closeup of one of the Orchids lamps down in the lounge.

A peek into the backroom of the restaurant provides a glimpse of the few remaining tiki mugs in the house.

Here's the back bar.

How about some black velvets? They have 3 of them.

And of course the tikis:

Mike started off behind the bar and then as the crowd grew he moved around the room visiting with the customers making sure everyone was having a good time.
He had us laughing all evening and we were glad we chose to sit at the bar because we were treated to a show along with great drinks!
Here Nate takes over and crafts a row of Mai Tais.

So here's to the Mai-Tai lounge in Omaha, NEBRASKA! Thanks, We WILL be back.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 9:45 pm   Permalink

Wonderful! Thanks for posting all these pics!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-07 09:16 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2013-11-06 21:05, 8FT Tiki wrote:

This door pull looks identical to one of the pulls which once graced the front doors of the Jade Tiki Restaurant in Bloomfield Hills, MI.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1099&forum=5&vpost=610662
I wonder if it's a massed-produced item?

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-07 7:11 pm   Permalink

Yup, they were lathe-carved, I call them "Mae West" Tikis. Here I am holding one that I field-colllected at "The Tikis" in 1994, with Danny Balsz in his bike outfit. It's the one pictured in the Book of Tiki:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-08 06:39 am   Permalink

AWESOME adventure 8ft! We have to make sure this place never closes!

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation