[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Hearty Banana Plant Winter Care
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hearty Banana Plant Winter Care
TikiDad
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-11-29 6:16 pm   Permalink

This is my first year with the plants, from what I have read leaving the stalk does get you a bigger tree next season. I was pleased how much they grew in the first year. I watered them heavily all summer. I planted then too close together and I'm going to transplant the middle one this spring.

View Profile of TikiDad Send a personal message to TikiDad  Email TikiDad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDad
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-16 07:43 am   Permalink

brrrr...

View Profile of TikiDad Send a personal message to TikiDad  Email TikiDad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-16 11:11 am   Permalink

Cripes! Buena suerte, my friend.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woody

Posted: 2013-11-17 05:43 am   Permalink

We have prepped our banana plants for winter storage. I was told to wait for the first frost and the leaves wilt before cutting. We had our first dip below 32 on Tuesday. The leaves have turned brown but the stalk is spongy. My question to the forum is does that spongy look mean the plant did not survive? Or is the root ball still okay. I am planning on using bubble wrap, blanket, and mulch. We cut them approximately 2 ft from the ground. Thanks for the response and the help. The plants were the main point of conversation when folks came over. We have them growing out by the pool. Hope they survive and come back next year.

View Profile of woody Send a personal message to woody      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-17 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-17 05:43, woody wrote:
We have prepped our banana plants for winter storage. I was told to wait for the first frost and the leaves wilt before cutting. We had our first dip below 32 on Tuesday. The leaves have turned brown but the stalk is spongy. My question to the forum is does that spongy look mean the plant did not survive? Or is the root ball still okay. I am planning on using bubble wrap, blanket, and mulch. We cut them approximately 2 ft from the ground. Thanks for the response and the help. The plants were the main point of conversation when folks came over. We have them growing out by the pool. Hope they survive and come back next year.

The leaves will brown, depending on temps, hard freezes will make the trunks become mush. But the roots are the important thing. They will survive even if all the plant above ground is gone. That is not a given, but mushy trunk does not mean dead.

I cut ours back and then it warmed up and they started growing again already. Another 10 inches came out of the stump.

Depends on where you are. Sometimes plastic can be too much. I am in TN, Zone 7ish. For the Musa Basjoo, I do nothing. We didn't even cut down the trunks last year, just the leaves.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 2:57 pm   Permalink

Fall in SoCal.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation