FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Best Things to Do in Waikiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Best Things to Do in Waikiki?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-04 5:28 pm   Permalink

I am headed there for a very short time and I need to make the most of it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This is what I was thinking:

1. Polynesian Cultural Center - Hula, Tikis and Moai(s), even if no rum
2. Tiki's Bar & Grill - Tikis galore and incredible Tiki art, overlooking the Pacific Ocean
3. La Mariana - Old Style Hawaiian Tiki
4. Thor Store - love the Lava Rock interior
5. Duke's - Duke's family doesn't get a dime, but they have the primo location
6. Hawaiiana Inn - Check-I'll be staying there for a night
7. Bishop Museum - REAL historic Tikis and a Moai, but time consuming
8. International Market Place-portal to Hawaiiana of old and a place to buy Tiki
9. Royal Hawaiian-Pink Lady still reigns regally
10+ ????

(I known there is the Hawaiian Vacation thread, but I was hoping to me more specific than 8 pages devoted to 6 islands, some of which, like Oahu, have multiple tourist locations)

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2007-11-04 17:34 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-04 5:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha Christiki!

I'll give you my 2 cents:

1)PCC - all I have to say is "ditto - no rum"
2)Tiki's - its so-so, I always get bad service there.
3)La Mariana - go on one of your first days, so you have enough time to go back again, and again... This one is the most important stop. Best days are Tuesday-Thursday for the better piano players - Lance and Ben.
4)Thor Stor - Keep in mind that the one with the lava rock wall is actually in the NEX in Pearl Harbor, our other Stor is right next to the International Marketplace.
5)Dukes - best bartenders in Waikiki, best time is Sunday afternoon - it will be hoppin!
6)Hawaiiana Hotel - Worth a stay for at least a night.
7)Bishop Museum - Worth it if you can devote the time. There's a lot of stuff in there!
8 )International Market - Worth a walk through to see the few remaining old elements, but nothing that great to buy. Mostly crap from China and the Philippines, and most of the tikis sold look the same.
9)Royal Hawaiian - Still the classic Waikiki hotel, but all you'll hear during the day is construction noise. The hotel itself is closing in a few months for a big renovation.
10)You covered all the important stuff - if you have more time:

- House without a Key, considered to have the best mai tai.
- Chuck's Steakhouse is great for a steak. Their "cellar" location is better than the one above Dukes.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you would like to get a drink at La Mariana.

www.thorstor.com

[ This Message was edited by: Mo-Eye 2007-11-04 17:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mo-Eye 2007-11-04 18:00 ]

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
South Seas

Posted: 2007-11-05 05:44 am   Permalink

Aloha!
Mo-eye is correct: Dukes Canoe Club is a "must". This Summer I went on a Sunday afternoon and saw Henry Kopono perform "live" from 4:00 to 6:00pm. Great stuff. The crowd was right out of an old Beach Party movie. The view: fantastic. Diamond Head through the palm trees and across the bay. We reserved a ring-side seat in the restaurant (strangly, they only open the restaurant AFTER he starts singing). None-the-less, we made an evening of it and had a great time. Stick to the beach in Waikiki and it is heaven. International Marketplace is O.K. (The big banyan tree is way cool) but other than that, I agree with Mo-eye's observation that most of the junk on sale was made in China (still, some of it is fun). But I say "don't get sucked into the shopping vortex!" Stay on the beach as much as possible.
One other thing if you time it right (may only be a summertime thing), the Bishop Museum offers "Mele on the lawn" which is performances by da kine Hawaiian music (big names) in a nice outdoor setting. Yes, it is not exactly in Waikiki --a bit of a cab ride, in fact. But I never miss it if its on when I'm in town. Very mellow and enjoyable.
At any rate, you basically can't go wrong! Enjoy & have a nice trip.

View Profile of South Seas Send a personal message to South Seas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 07:13 am   Permalink

If you have the time to squeeze in a little tour of the natural beauty of Oahu, here are my top three picks:

1) Go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Unbelievable array of sea life. It's nice to do the Waikiki Aquarium first to get an idea of what you'll be seeing before you get there.

2) Hike to Manoa Falls. It's a short, easy hike with a gorgeous payoff at the end.

3) Hike Diamondhead. Beautiful views from the top, and it's always a little surreal to be inside a volcano.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 07:18 am   Permalink

Put La Mariana and PCC at the top of your list. And at La Mariana's, ask the piano player and his accompanist to do Quiet Village for you. They do an excellent version, bird calls and all. And if nothing else, you'll appreciate it more than the Billy Joel and Elton John songs they'll be playing.

House Without a Key at the Halekulani at sunset is great. Friday nights are best as that is when the Hiram Olsen Trio plays, for a bit of old school Hapa Haole music and hula. And yes, they have the best Mai-Tai I found on the island.

Oh! Almost forgot. You MUST go to the Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel. One of the last vintage places left and the Polynesian show exceeded our expectations. We were probably the only non-Japanese guests there. They apparently do most of their business with Japanese tour groups. Pass on the drinks though, which were easily the foulest things we've ever tasted.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 07:41 am   Permalink

I know it's "touristy"...but I always love taking a barefoot walk along Waikiki Beach at night, with the hotels casting light onto the beach.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bothellbill
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-14 1:54 pm   Permalink

I like the little Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian. Maybe the best old style Mai Tai in Hawaii

View Profile of bothellbill Send a personal message to bothellbill  Email bothellbill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bothellbill
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-14 2:21 pm   Permalink

I like the little Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian. Maybe the best old style Mai Tai in Hawaii

View Profile of bothellbill Send a personal message to bothellbill  Email bothellbill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-11-14 2:25 pm   Permalink

Sex-----Sex is the best thing to do anywhere, but especially Waikiki.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-14 7:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-05 07:18, GatorRob wrote:

Oh! Almost forgot. You MUST go to the Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel. One of the last vintage places left and the Polynesian show exceeded our expectations. We were probably the only non-Japanese guests there. They apparently do most of their business with Japanese tour groups. Pass on the drinks though, which were easily the foulest things we've ever tasted.

The Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel is incredible! A very high TIPSY factor.
I advise going to the show, for $35 nightly around 6:30 pm (Buffet prime rib is $65).
However, one can also walk in around 8:30 and snap a few photos of the interior.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-14 8:34 pm   Permalink

You need to take a plane tour of the island.
Get the guy who used to do the Fantasy Island
plane intro on the show.
Your hotel will know him.
GREAT trip!!
He flies over the dole pineapple fields.
Are they still there?
He also takes you in the way Japan did when they bombed us.
So you will see Perarl Harbor.
And it's a sea plane.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-14 8:47 pm   Permalink

The Dole Plantation on the North Shore is still there.
It is a fun and informative trip, especially the train ride.
I never new there were red pineapples.

Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 8:15 pm   Permalink

I agree with the majority of your list however, I would put La Mariana #1. Additionally Leonard's Bakery is a must for hot Malasada's, and I highly recommend the haupia filled! (just a few blocks north of Baileys)

May your first child be a Moai child..

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-16 08:06 am   Permalink

I agree with Hinano, ya gotta go to Leonard's. I am more traditional though and prefer the unfilled sugar coated version.
I also recommend the Shorebird. It's an open air restaurant on the beach where you season and grill your own fish, steak, or chicken. A buffet of salads, rice, bread, lomi, and even poi is also included.It's fun and fairly reasonable.
The luau at the Royal Hawaiian is expensive, but completely worth it.
If you eat the raw stuff, consume as much local ahi sashimi as you possibly can!!!

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-16 5:01 pm   Permalink

KaiMuki,

I 100% agree with you the originals are the best, I have to cut them with the filled versions (to fill me up) so I dont eat an entire box or two! Those who know, know what I mean! Malasada's are the donuts to my inner Homer! mmmmmm malasada's, Damn you Kaimuki!

May your first child be a Moai child..

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation