FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Best Things to Do in Waikiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Best Things to Do in Waikiki?
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-16 9:53 pm   Permalink

If you have the time (a half day) and the weather is good (not too windy) I'd recommend renting a kayak or two and paddling out to the Mokuleia islands off of Lanikai beach in Kailua. Fabulous views and plenty of sea turtles! or you could take the much closer (and easier) kayak trip to flat island off of the AMAZING kailua beach. Finish it up with a dinner at Buzz's Steak house at Kailua beach (make reservations, try to get an outside table, and bring a check - they don't take credit cards) and you will be in heaven! If you want to be mellow - Kailua beach is also great for relaxing or strolling up and down. Can you tell I love Kailua?

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-21 7:24 pm   Permalink

I agree with Grog - Sex good

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-21 9:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-16 21:53, VanTiki wrote:
If you have the time (a half day) and the weather is good (not too windy) I'd recommend renting a kayak or two and paddling out to the Mokuleia islands off of Lanikai beach in Kailua. Fabulous views and plenty of sea turtles! or you could take the much closer (and easier) kayak trip to flat island off of the AMAZING kailua beach. Finish it up with a dinner at Buzz's Steak house at Kailua beach (make reservations, try to get an outside table, and bring a check - they don't take credit cards) and you will be in heaven! If you want to be mellow - Kailua beach is also great for relaxing or strolling up and down. Can you tell I love Kailua?

Ditto that. DEFINITLY go to Kailua and Lanikai beach.

The flat island paddle is great for novices...like me....here is my first ever attempt at kayaking...luckily there was a nice local to help me get on my way...I kept tipping over.

I eventually made it to flat isalnd. What a great time.

As you can see, the water is SOOO blue, especially in summertime. Kailua is paradise.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-11-21 21:09 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-22 5:11 pm   Permalink

Wow. What Blue water.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-22 5:13 pm   Permalink

I would also recommend peeking into Da Big Kahuna, while you are at the International Market Place.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26441&forum=2&0

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 10:06 pm   Permalink

I haven't been there in years but the Willows which is in a residential area had cool decor including a floating war canoe and lagoon. No one else mentioned it so maybe its not worth going to anymore.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dood
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-29 10:19 pm   Permalink

If you've never eaten at a Cheeseburger in Paradise location, the one in Waikiki is not a bad place to stop. Great food, and it's right across the street from the beach. My wife and I ate there more than once on our last visit.

View Profile of Dood Send a personal message to Dood  Goto the website of Dood     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
irishf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-15 11:03 pm   Permalink

Cheeseburger in Paradise has a fantastic location, but in my opinion the food isn't that good. Unless you like Applebee's and other chain restaurants. The wait staff are haoles wearing grass skirts over their khaki shorts. You can eat at a hamburger chain on the mainland.

Much better food and direct ocean view at Hula's, which is on the second floor above Duke's. Open air seating right over the beach. Hula Grill at the Outrigger, not the dance/bar.

http://www.gayot.com/restaurantpages/HawaiiInfo.php?tag=HIRES060505&code=HI

Speaking of eats, I think a MUST DO is Eggs and Things! What a breakfast! Yes, there is usually a line, and guess what? There's a reason! Their pancakes with coconut syrup are out_of_this_world. I have gotten up at dawn and walked down there by myself to get them.

http://eggsnthings.com/aboutthe.htm

I highly recommend renting a car and going to see the Byodo-In Temple. FANTASTIC!

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/byodo-in_temple.htm

I also really enjoyed exploring in China Town.

We enjoyed Moana Falls. Rode the bus there.

The Honolulu Aquarium is small, but excellent quality and well worth seeing. Walking distance in Waikiki.

There's a nice nature center on the outskirts of China Town, but I can't remember the name of it. Near the amazing, beautiful Quan Yin temple.

View Profile of irishf Send a personal message to irishf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
irishf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-15 11:18 pm   Permalink

One last thing!

Check out the Chart House restaurant and bar overlooking the marina,
http://www.charthousehonolulu.com/

where you can see live Hawaiian music with dinner, or puupuus and poke and tasty drinks.

If you go to their website and click on the Entertainment link, check out the video of "DNA" - Dean Lum and Andy Sexton.

Andy Sexton and his brother John are friends with my DH, they went to high school together and played in the now defunct band "Hawaiian Express". The Sextons play with the band Simplisity and coined the term "Jawaiian" back in the day.

Dean Lum has an awe inspiring falsetto voice. He can really do Hawaiian falsetto.

Makes for a fun evening. Bar is open to the air.

View Profile of irishf Send a personal message to irishf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-18 6:56 pm   Permalink

Upon landing, go to the lei stands at the airport, where plumeria leis can be had for as low as $5.00.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-18 8:01 pm   Permalink

If you want to learn to surf go to PTS or Prime Time Sports in front of Fort Drusy (sp?!?) and ask for a lesson with
"Mad Dog". Make sure you tell him the Boo's said hi. He's classic! Don't let his looks scare you! He's only been a beach boy since 1954. And for a good water ride, the Mai Tai'i Cat in front the the Sheraton. The free mai tais are free mai tais..... The ride is great!!!! Prepare to get wet! Ask Filslash. He loved it!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 9:35 pm   Permalink

When at the International Market Place don't forget to go up in the "treehouse" and have some coffee and/or a sandwich at the Lava Flow Lounge..completely tiki place.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-29 10:28 am   Permalink

'nuff said

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 7:07 pm   Permalink

For future refference, Waimea Falls Park on the North shore is a must, for Oahu's natural beauty up close.

The PCC is rather dull overall, not about Hawaii but Polynesia as a whole, and would suggest spending that time at the Bishop Museum. But the tiki search can turn up some gems as well as some cool Polynesian structures. The nighttime show isn't so great, which is hard for me to say because they include a steel guitarist, which is appropriate as you'll be merely yards from where the steel guitar was invented. Elvis filmed one of his flix here, but most of that stuff has long been removed.
You can almost get your whole tiki fix just cruising by on Kam. Hwy. They now have many large tiki's at 4 spots along the property, but my favorites are at the front of the next door hotel on the McDonalds side.

To find the other rare amounts of steel guitar, see -
http://www.hwnsge.5u.com

The hang gliders are a good time as well.

If you hit Pearl Harbor, go very early so you can check out the submarine exibit for sure, do the battleship, and if you can get away with it, dig off to see the rest of Ford Island, especially if you've done your homework to know what check out. But don't miss the last shuttle off at about 4pm.

Go see http://www.dontiki.com if they're schedualed.

[ This Message was edited by: msteeln 2008-03-24 23:21 ]

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-25 8:01 pm   Permalink

MALASADAS!

May your first child be a Moai child..

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation