FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Best Things to Do in Waikiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Best Things to Do in Waikiki?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-05 3:22 pm   Permalink

Which is "better," Tiki's Bar & Grill, or La Mariana?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-07-06 06:04 am   Permalink

La Mariana by far IMHO. But Tiki's is easy to walk to if you're staying in Waikiki. You have to drive/take a cab to get to La Mariana.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 12:22 pm   Permalink

Well, La Mariana is a REAL tiki bar/restaurant. Tiki's is a nuveau (sp) tiki bar. HOWEVER, if you're staying in Waikiki, there's NO REASON not to go to Tiki's. I like it and you can walk to it... Don't bypass an afternoon latte at the Tree House Lounge upstairs (n the tree) at the International Marketplace in the heart of Waikiki...VERY VERY tikified.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 12:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-05 15:22, christiki295 wrote:

Which is "better," Tiki's Bar & Grill, or La Mariana?

The BEST bar in Waikiki (maybe in ALL of Hawaii) is
The Hideaway !!

And if you must have some Tikis then I would recommend Da Big Kahuna. It's so bad... IT'S GREAT !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-07 9:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2012-07-06 12:47, JOHN-O wrote:

The BEST bar in Waikiki (maybe in ALL of Hawaii) is The Hideaway !!

Oh, JOHN-O... I have a LAST STOP dive bar to take you (or maybe just point you to) next time you are here! It's really quite something, and something ONLY you would enjoy. I refuse to reveal this information on a public forum...

But, I digress. Here's the thing... Tikis vs. LM. They are both interesting and important stops.

"Tikis Grill and Bar" is WONDERFUL with vastly improved drinks and food. Try the Pisco Sour!!

La Mariana is as usual, FANTASTIC decor and improved drinks.

Go to both...

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-07 21:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-07 21:05 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-08 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-07 21:03, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Oh, JOHN-O... I have a LAST STOP dive bar to take you (or maybe just point you to) next time you are here! It's really quite something, and something ONLY you would enjoy. I refuse to reveal this information on a public forum...

Thanks Phillip, I can't wait to get back out to Hawaii !!

Also how can I get inside that shuttered
Bowl-O-Drome that you recently "excavated" ?? That was some super cool urban archeology.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-07-08 13:46 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-30 7:36 pm   Permalink

I didn't see anyone mention Bailey's. Great Aloha shirts, biggest selection I have ever seen.

Also the "Lost" tour was really fun and very scenic. If you are a fan of the show or the many movies filmed on this island, you should check it out. Some of the best views I have seen on any island.

We found a Tiki Carver, Maile Niu in Hakipu'u on the east side of the island. VERY talented carver and we bought some tikis from him. He sells out of his house on the side of the road. So don't blink or you might miss it!

And my number one place would be La Mariana as well. Sundays are fun. Lots of locals brought their instruments and were all playing music all day. Good Reuben sandwiches there too.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-05 4:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-30 19:36, lunavideogames wrote:
I didn't see anyone mention Bailey's. Great Aloha shirts, biggest selection I have ever seen.

Does Baileys really have thousands of Aloha Shirts under $20.00?
http://alohashirts.com

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-05 7:24 pm   Permalink

Lunavideogames:
Is there a 2nd alternative for Aloha shirts in the event I do not make it to Baileys?
Maybe a store in the IMP, Waikiki Shopping Plaza, or just Reyn Spooner at the Sheraton?

Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 2:49 pm   Permalink

Christiki:

Baileys has the biggest and best selection of Aloha shirts especially when it comes to vintage! But they can be a bit pricey. Believe me you will see one or two shirts that you think you have to have until you look at the price tag. But the trip there is worth it, its like visiting an Aloha shirt museum except you don't have to pay admission and everything is for sale. They also have vintage Hawaiiana items for sale which you won't see in the heart of Waikiki or the IMP's made in China Tchotchkes (love the IMP but the stuff sold there is mostly crap). It's really not that far off the beaten path either, you have to go up Kapahulu anyways to go get your malasadas at Leonards (933 Kapahulu Ave) and get your local grinds at Ono Hawaiian Foods (Best authentic local Hawaiian food restaurant - 726 Kapahulu Ave) There are alot of places in Waikiki that will sell you the Magnum P.I. Aloha shirts and Tommy Bahama knock offs or you can go to Aloha Stadium to the flea market and buy the mass produced look at me I'm a sun burned tourist ones but if you make the trip to Baileys you might find that rare unique shirt that someone might say "Hooooo brah, solid shirt!"

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 05:54 am   Permalink

Mongoloid hits it on the head: you should definitely do the Kapahulu Ave trifecta of Bailey's, Leonard's & Ono!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 07:36 am   Permalink

No Rainbow Drive-in ?? Make it a Kapahulu superfecta.

Also Honolulu cult restaurant Side Street Inn now has a Kapahulu location.

tiki_martin
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 8:04 pm   Permalink

It's been a long time, but I love Rainbows. Make mine terri-beef with 2 scoops of mac salad.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_martin 2012-08-09 20:04 ]

View Profile of tiki_martin Send a personal message to tiki_martin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-12 9:48 pm   Permalink

These recommendations are in-depth, detailed and dynamite!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-20 1:51 pm   Permalink

Yes, Mongoliod is correct. Bailey's can get expensive. All the popular ones are more money. Most of the Aloha shirts with tikis on them will cost like $25 or more. But there are shirts all over, but mos are generic, that's when you would want to go to Bailey's.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation