FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Damon's steakhouse, Glendale, (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Damon's steakhouse, Glendale, (restaurant)
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 12:35 pm   Permalink

Name:Damon's steakhouse
Type:restaurant
Street:Brand ave
City:Glendale
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is a cool place that has been around since 1937. Amazing steaks and decore, not super tiki, but super tropical for sure. I think the drink menu is kinda weak, but the food makes up for it. A must visit in so-cal.
http://www.damonsglendale.com/index.html

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 6:37 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-06 10:30 pm   Permalink

I used to live about a mile from Damon's. (I moved away in 2000)
I used to go there quite often. The food is great, but not a great TIPSY factor. The overall atmosphere is very Polynesian. On a recent trip, I discovered that the restaurant has changed ownership, and the old owners took the Leeteg painting with them.

Kelly

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 06:53 am   Permalink

I think the bartender talent went with them. Our bartender made faces and rolled her eyes when I would ask for tropical drinks and gave her the "real" recipe for a mai-tai!!!.I think she was honestly AA from an overheard conversation, not a good state of mind for a bartender.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 2:56 pm   Permalink

Went to Damon's for the first time last night with the girlfriend. We thought about sitting at the bar to eat, but instead took a table in the dining room so we could get a good view of the joint overall. The fish tank actually had a live puffer fish swimming around, which we thought was very cool. Overall, the decor was great, but not more than one or two actual Tikis could be seen from where we were sitting. Some really beautifull murals on the walls, lots of bamboo, and a good size outrigger was hanging in the middle of the dining room. Should have brought the camera, but didn't this time. The food was great. I had a nice size steak and the girlfriend had fish. We asked for a drink menu, but was told that they don't have one. Our waitress told us they are known for there Mai Tai's and Chi Chi's, so we ordered both. I like the Chi Chi best, and was feeling good after only two drinks.
I'd give Damon's 4 out of 5 stars. If they added more Tiki's and an actual drink menu, they'd get 5 stars from me.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2007-11-10 10:45 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 12:27 pm   Permalink

Found these pictures on the net of the front of Damon's along with an older menu.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 12:38 am   Permalink

A few pics I took on our trip to Damon's on 11-14-07. Our waitress Mary, was one of the best we've had at any Tiki establishment. No joke! Oh, and the food was great too.

TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-23 12:52 pm   Permalink

This place is super cool,We went with our friends grog and bora boris last month and had a great meal,Im so glad its still going strong and not suffered the dreaded modernization they usually have.

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-23 12:52, TIKIWAGON wrote:
. . . Im so glad its still going strong and not suffered the dreaded modernization they usually have.

This is one of the "soul" survivors in Southern California, along with Bali Hai, Bahooka's, Humphrey's Half-Moon Bay, Tiki Ti and the Tonga Hut.

Sadly, Sam's Trader Vic's and Islands restaurant at the Hanalei have all been lost (or had their fate sealed) in the past year or so. We have to enjoy these treasures while they still exist.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 1:40 pm   Permalink

More photos:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2531&forum=1

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-01 5:17 pm   Permalink

Good call, 2WT!

A great place, and yes, CT, one of the last of the First Wave Greats in the LA area.

Libby and I were gifted with a couple of neato mugs by one of their less-charismaticly-challenged bartenders not so long ago, after a lengthy exploration of their rum selections. I would wish for more Polynesian culinary choices, but what they offer won't leave you hungry. If you go, I suggest the scallops and a jolt of Orinoco. Oooo.

Cheers and AloHalidays,
SOK

and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-12-01 17:20 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-01 11:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-01 17:17, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:

Libby and I were gifted with a couple of neato mugs by one of their less-charismaticly-challenged bartenders not so long ago, after a lengthy exploration of their rum selections.

Mugs and rum?
Wow - I thought Damon's only served vodka-based drinks and I've never seen a tiki mug there.
Such is good news.

Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-04 08:49 am   Permalink

Oh yes, they've got a small collection of mugs (some or all of which I think are for sale) in the glass display below the register, and the ones that Libby and I were given were burgundy-colored "bamboo" tumblers (not tikis, per se, but definitely tiki-bar inclusions). And they offered Orinoco, which is very nice, as well as Meyers, which is also very nice. I sometimes stop in (usually after pestering the Small Business Administration offices across the street), for a quick, restorative Meyers and pinapple 50-50. (But the Orinoco and scallops does make for a fine dinner.)

I do wish they'd dial-in the musical atmosphere a bit more, with some choice traditional exotica and maybe some Martini Kings and Tikiyaki Orch. The decor is first-class, really, and the visual feel is superb for the most part, but they've put a big TV blaring sportscasts blocking a portion of the bar's wonderful Polynesian mural (not anti-sports, but it kind of trashes the vibe, not to mention the mural), which is thankfully not visible from (most of) the main dining area.
Add a bit of lush exotiphilia-lounge music to the soundtrack, and it would really be a dreamy scene...

But if you haven't been, or it's been a while, why not lead a canoe party over to give 'em some business?

(PS edit: CT, perhaps I should've made it clearer, that my "lengthy exploration" of Damon's rum selections refered more to the time spent enjoying them than to the scope of their choices, sorry.)

and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-12-04 11:56 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 07:35 am   Permalink

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danimal

Posted: 2007-12-31 9:49 pm   Permalink

twowheelin'tiki,
my mom tells stories about going to Damon's when she was a little girl, before her dad left for the war. It must have been so exotic in those days, before air travel. Nobody had seen Polynesia except a few sailors, so tiki was cutting-edge cool. They mix a mean mai tai, or at least they used to. I haven't been in a couple of years.

Dan

[ This Message was edited by: danimal 2007-12-31 21:50 ]

View Profile of danimal Send a personal message to danimal  Email danimal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation