FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki MAI KAI LOUNGE Tecumseh MI. (image heavy), Tecumseh, MI (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
MAI KAI LOUNGE Tecumseh MI. (image heavy), Tecumseh, MI (restaurant)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 3:38 pm   Permalink

Name:MAI KAI LOUNGE- Tecumseh MI. (image heavy)
Type:lounge
Street:1445 W Chicago Blvd.
City:Tecumseh
State:MI
Zip:49286
Phone:517-423-7401

Description:
Let me start by thanking the owner Tom for letting us in to take photos before business hours. The Mai Kai Lounge is located in the Tecumseh Inn. Just behind the checkout counter in the front lobby a small sign above the door leads into a tiki time machine. Opened around 1971 the lounge has remained intact for nearly 35 years. A credit to the present owner, when the motel was purchased from the original owner the lounge was left unchanged to this day.TRT 2nd edition description states quote "there isn't a tiki in site" we counted 12. Ten original Witco tiki bar stools and two floor to ceiling tikis. Stick with me as I try to get the pics posted.

The low mood lighting is just right. Check out the hanging bamboo chairs.

Gotta love this. Two hanging bamboo chairs with orange leather. An original OA lamp hangs above a small cocktail table with a Formica tapa print. Behind the chairs is a hanging curtain of beads.

Some photos are taken with the flash as the lighting is so low. The mood was perfect. Only the sound of a small fountain running.

Ten!!! Original Witco bar stools bolted to the floor. They could use a little TLC but when was the last time you came into a place with ten clasic stools

Right now I have to grab a beverage so I'll post more pics shortly.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2013-07-04 05:10 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kabuddhabuddha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-10 4:16 pm   Permalink

OMG, OMG, OMGGGGGGGGGGGGDDDDDDDDDD, I see my barstool now. After a night down in the marvelous Hukilau lounge, Uncle Trav we have a date for a road trip to 1971. Can't wait to see it in person, and more pictures that you took. Post More, Post More.

View Profile of Kabuddhabuddha Send a personal message to Kabuddhabuddha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 4:52 pm   Permalink

O.K. back with my beverage and on to some more pics. This is one of the tall tikis surrounded by classic plastic

If I remember right there were five round booths of different colors. Each had a tapa table and bamboo curtains that can be closed to give you that hidden in the jungle feeling.

Cool carved coat rack

Another booth with a big tiki behind it

On to the bar. This is a little fuzzy but you can see the tapa print on the bar and the OA float lights

This is the back bar. Note the modern design in the center. There a a bunch of carved coco nut figures hanging above the bar the whole length. The large mirrors give the illusion that the lounge is larger than is actually is.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 5:28 pm   Permalink

A close up of the OA lamp

The orange booth, my favorite

The seafoam booth. The plastic bamboo forest with lights on the wall is the coolest. this pic was taken with the flash in person this looks fantastic. Check out the astro-turf on the back of the booth.

The other tall tiki

A small cocktail table with two bamboo chairs just opposite of the hanging chairs

The bar from another angle. A little fuzzy

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 6:32 pm   Permalink

here's a line shot of the Witco stools

A lone PM mug behind the bar with a coconut mug

A cool modern design Incorporated into the front door and the rest room doors

Some exterior shots of the lobby and entrance to the lounge. DAMN I LOVE THIS STUFF !!

Three weathered OA bamboo lamps above the outside entrance to the lounge

A close-up of one of the exterior lights

A shot of the front of the building facing the main drag

The Inn sign

Folks this is as close to classic tiki in Michigan that I can think of.The lounge is on the small side but it is unchanged from the past. Round booths with bamboo curtains, hanging bamboo chairs, Tapa print bar and tables, A fountain with fish, Witco, Tikis, Fish float lamps. The bar serves standard cocktails. The staff was very friendly. The motel has 61 rooms and a ton of antique stores are nearby. A real piece of tiki history that has out lasted many others and the owner should be commended for that. Thanks

Kabuddhabuddha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-10 6:48 pm   Permalink

WOW is about all I can say there Uncle Trav. Did you go back in time to take those pictures or what? Looks like the place is brand new. I can't believe the shape of the vinyl and love the astro turf. So what were the bathrooms like? Keep up the good work finding the lost treasures we so love.

View Profile of Kabuddhabuddha Send a personal message to Kabuddhabuddha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 8:01 pm   Permalink

Very nice! I can't believe I never went to see this place in the 31 years I lived in Michigan.
Maybe next time I fly home to visit the folks, I'll stop by for a drink or two.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 8:57 pm   Permalink

AMAZING!

I've got to make a road trip over to that side of the state!

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-11 02:54 am   Permalink

Incredible Tiki Archeaology uncle trav!!!!!

Thanks for posting another "lost" Tiki Bar!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboobeavis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-11 06:46 am   Permalink

A vintage tiki bar in my own back yard (well, the same state anyway)!
That place looks just like everything I've ever read.
Thanks for finding that hidden treasure Uncle Trav.
Definitely special thanks to the owner for not changing the bar

View Profile of bamboobeavis Send a personal message to bamboobeavis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-11 06:48 am   Permalink

Those exterior lights are Eames era ottomans.
Made into lights.
Cool place.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-11 06:59 am   Permalink

See like this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-Round-Rattan-Mid-Century-MODERN-Eamesian-Ottoman_W0QQitemZ200170856521QQihZ010QQcategoryZ156953QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-11 07:23 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the feedback! Nothing better than a weekend Tiki expedition. Thanks for the heads up on the exterior lights Skip. You are the "Rattan Man". I hope to get back to the lounge for a drink before to long. Thanks again.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-11 08:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

.TRT 2nd edition description states quote "there isn't a tiki in site" we counted 12. Ten original Witco tiki bar stools and two floor to ceiling tikis.

..maybe he wanted to keep the place secret from other tikiphiles.... there is already one huge scumbag here on tiki central guilty of doing exactly this sort of thing for his own greedy purposes....

though it's never been tikibars style or m.o. to withhold info as far as i know....i'm sure there is a good explanation about why the tecumseh lounge was misrepresented in his latest book......

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-11 09:07 am   Permalink

My main reason for the quote was meant as an update to the the review in TRT 2. The good thing is we all have a classic Tiki lounge to be enjoyed by everyone on TC.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2007-11-11 09:23 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation