FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » MAI KAI LOUNGE Tecumseh MI. (image heavy), Tecumseh, MI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
MAI KAI LOUNGE Tecumseh MI. (image heavy), Tecumseh, MI (restaurant)
Mr. Moai

Posted: 2008-01-03 12:01 pm   Permalink

Hi Everyone-

My girlfriend and I visited the Mai Kai @ The Tecumseh Inn for the first time last night. We moved to town about 6 months ago and had no idea we lived so close to such a groovy tiki oasis. Then we saw the beautiful pictures posted on this board, and we knew we had to check it out for ourselves.

We were not disappointed--the decor is simply awesome. The drink menu at the Mai Kai Lounge is limited (Bud, Bud Light, Michelob, & some common liquors), but it's such an amazing room that we didn't care. If any adventurous tiki-philes are still interested in visiting the place sometime, send us an email and we will meet you for a drink!

View Profile of Mr. Moai Send a personal message to Mr. Moai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 1:01 pm   Permalink

Aloha! and welcome to TC Mr. Moai. Thanks for the review. I haven't been back since I took the pic's awhile ago. Good to see some folks are enjoying the Mai Kai.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 4:36 pm   Permalink

Well it's nearly a year ago that I visited the Mai Kai to document it for this post. I just read on the website that the lounge is "temporarily closed". I feared the worst !. I did some checking and all is well. The motel has been sold to a new owner and they are waiting for the liquor license to change hands. As soon as this is done the lounge will reopen. Good news for us up north folks. When it reopens stop by and support one of our last classic Tiki spots. Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 4:29 pm   Permalink

Did I miss this from before? Man, I love it! Would love to wander into such a great place. Thanks for the pics. It's what dreams are made of.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 04:21 am   Permalink

Just thought I would give another update. The Mai Kai is still closed for renovations but will open again. The best part is that the tikis stay! The ownership told me they have had many offers to purchase the interior items but the are not for sale. Good to hear they will stay as they have for nearly forty years. I am still looking for some more history for the lounge. A big thank you for the owners for keeping the lounge intact. I hope to post some more pics when they reopen. Thanks

Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-13 12:17 pm   Permalink

Anyone have any updates on this place. I want to go while I'm out here if it's still open. Guess I'll just give them a call. Will keep you posted.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-13 12:23 pm   Permalink

Well that was easy...I just called them and they are still waiting for the liquor license to change over. So it's not open for business, but they said they'd be happy to have me come in and check the place out if I like.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-13 3:54 pm   Permalink

Good to hear your in your old hunting grounds Chub. If you do make it to the Mai Kai please take some more pics. Been waiting a long time for them to reopen and I hope it has been kept original.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-13 10:55 pm   Permalink

Yeah, renovation always sounds scary. The Tikis are only one element here, but what about the cool modernist exterior, and the lamps, and the Tapa bar top, and all those other time-warp details.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 05:49 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-09-13 22:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yeah, renovation always sounds scary.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The amazing thing is that this bar is still there at all. This is the third owner of the motel and the bar has survived. I have only had contact with the new owner via e-mail but he has stated that the original decor will stay. As I said before he has had many offers from folks to sell the items but has said no to all offers. I have not been able to get down there to do a field trip but maybe Chub will have a report from the front.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 04:12 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai Lounge is still closed. I can only hope now that the bar will open soon. I believe the problem is with obtaining a liquor license but don't quote me on that. As of my last contact with the motel the contents remain and will be there when it opens again. As luck would have it all three owners of the motel, past and present have had the foresight to keep the bar intact. I hope they hold true to that view.

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 11:49 am   Permalink

I hope it's re-opened by now?...

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 12:31 pm   Permalink

I am going on tour with Cordis (www.cordismusic.com) and will be in Monroe, MI next week - not too far from this place, but is it OPEN?

Mr. Ho

http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 2:21 pm   Permalink

Wow! Just over five years since I first posted this place. If I remember right I called them last year and they were still closed.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 05:06 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai Lounge is once again open at the motel. I have not been back to the location since my first archaeological trip. Apparently is has been reopened as the breakfast bar for the motel guest. I can find only one photo but it doesn't look good. It looks like elements of the original decor are gone and those elements are what made the place rare in this day and age. New murals have been painted on the walls and the old plastic jungle on the back wall as well as the bead curtain wall behind the hanging chairs is gone as well. The large Tiki in the middle of the group of round booth appears gone to. As far as I can tell the Witco stools are still intact. Sad sad sad indeed.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation