FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Tiki Glam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-19 01:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-18 17:07, Billy the Crud wrote:
Mr Lucky was on the case and it reads like a Pulp novel that will go down in the books-Dames, bootleg rum, organized crime, and the skin trade. No-one brings anything small into a bar around here......

HA! that's exactly what I told Mr. Lucky......"Mr Lucky and the Case of the Missing Tikis" (or CURSE of the Missing Tikis cause that's what I hope is bestowed on those bastards!)

View Profile of Tiki Glam Send a personal message to Tiki Glam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 06:08 am   Permalink

What a weekend. This was my first trip to Oasis and I can not even come close to expressing what a good time I had. I took 3 pictures the whole weekend so I'm relying on everyone else to remind me of the memories that are a bit blurry. First thanks to Pdrake for sharing a room with me - what a view, right next to the stage. Mieko and the all of the guys at the carving hut - Saturday morning was a struggle but you all made it great. Shoutouts to: Babalu, Bob Ho, BTC, TikiThomas, Kirby, Grog, Traveling Jones, Bullet, 4WD, Bowana and everyone that made time to say hello. All of my tiki event experience comes from Hukilau, which is great, but Oasis picked it up a bit.

I made it home just in time to get hit by Tropical Storm Fay! So I'm off to the couch to nurse my Jet lag. Aloha

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 07:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-18 22:39, tikiyaki wrote:

Jeff Chenault - Really enjoyed the Exotica syposium...one question....Why NO mention of Esquivel ? I know he's more Space Age bachelor pad more than Exotica, but I think he warrants a mention.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-08-18 22:41 ]

You said it for me. Esquivel is definitely more Space Age bachelor pad music than Exotica. He did have a few tracks that border on Exotica though. I had to condense my seminar to one hour so I mentioned the Exotica biggies and other oddball items.

What I am bummed about is that I didn't mention the Tikiyaki orchestra. I will remedy this next time I promise. You guys are more Exotica than Esquivel IMHO.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 07:59, Jeff Central wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-18 22:39, tikiyaki wrote:

Jeff Chenault - Really enjoyed the Exotica syposium...one question....Why NO mention of Esquivel ? I know he's more Space Age bachelor pad more than Exotica, but I think he warrants a mention.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-08-18 22:41 ]

You said it for me. Esquivel is definitely more Space Age bachelor pad music than Exotica. He did have a few tracks that border on Exotica though. I had to condense my seminar to one hour so I mentioned the Exotica biggies and other oddball items.

What I am bummed about is that I didn't mention the Tikiyaki orchestra. I will remedy this next time I promise. You guys are more Exotica than Esquivel IMHO.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I suppose you could do an entire Sympoium on Esquivel himself, but only us geeks would be there.

Funny, but as I found out from your seminar, it seems that little or no classic Exotica uses Hawaiian Lap steel in it's instrumentation....so I feel good about doing something a little different to the genre.

Look forward to seeing the next one.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 09:01 am   Permalink

What the hell just happened to me? I think it's Tuesday morning after the event and my God..the memories of the weekend are just now bubbling to the surface of my rum soaked brain (brains!!)No need to explain, if you attended you understand - but if not - I did manage to not lose my cheapy camera so you may catch a glimpse of some of the festivities. In short I must say Thank You to everyone involved, and I will be back next year surf board in tow. Enjoy the pics. Aloha, TikiG

http://picasaweb.google.com/reynolds.ray/TO8

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 09:38 am   Permalink

What a great weekend. Even though I'm home now I can't stop flashing back to the last few days.
Thanks to all who hosted and thanks to all that visited our Norcal Ohana room 1849. We had a blast and will start planning for next year soon.

Thank you to the honest person that got the camera I lost, in my drunken stupor, back to me. I don't remember too many of the room crawl parties, but I'm told I attended.

We did find a brown camera case in our room which no one claimed. We tried to find the owner but no one recognized it. Monday morning I turned it in to the hotel lost and found.

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Bartender
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 09:44 am   Permalink

Want more Tiki Oasis photos?

These are all of our photos from the weekend including the Tiki Ti trip and visit to Al's home tiki bar.

We had a great time this year (although someone's memories of Saturday night are a bit hazy and/or missing). It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Elevator music now has a new meaning to me. And next year, I'm following Mai Tai around because he always seemed to be in the best places at the best time.

View Profile of Chief Bartender Send a personal message to Chief Bartender  Email Chief Bartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 09:38, Tai Won On wrote:
What a great weekend. Even though I'm home now I can't stop flashing back to the last few days.
Thanks to all who hosted and thanks to all that visited our Norcal Ohana room 1849. We had a blast and will start planning for next year soon.

Thank you to the honest person that got the camera I lost, in my drunken stupor, back to me. I don't remember too many of the room crawl parties, but I'm told I attended.

We did find a brown camera case in our room which no one claimed. We tried to find the owner but no one recognized it. Monday morning I turned it in to the hotel lost and found.

That was DJLee's.

I'll email him.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 10:43 am   Permalink

Speaking of lost items, I have a long shot...anyone find a pair of black Spy (with the + logo on the temples) glasses? They're pretty well beat up, but they are prescription, so really no good to anyone else.

I guess if no one finds them it gives me an excuse to get a new pair! Thanks

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-19 11:43 am   Permalink

Tia Won On - I think you camera was found by Jeana-Zach Zachery's wife. It was between our booths behind the stage.

View Profile of TikiRick Send a personal message to TikiRick  Email TikiRick Goto the website of TikiRick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 12:04 pm   Permalink

Wife-hine Christine and I had a blast! This was our first Oasis since the last Palm Springs one in '05--somehow conflicts/schedules didn't work out for the first two at the Hanalei--so needless to say the increased growth/scale of the whole thing (plus having rooms at the hotel, which we didn't in '05) blew our minds (in a very good way)...we were shocked, shocked, to discover that gambling was going on in Casablanca, and we'd been missing out!

It was great seeing some old friends and acquaintances, making some new ones, and living the whole experience. Lee, thanks for your part in bringing Robert Drasnin the attention he has long deserved. All the music was great all weekend (both groups and dj's), but the Drasnin orchestra performance was a particularly amazing event, worth of the Hollywood Bowl--but even more worthy of Tiki Oasis! And thanks to all the artisans, vendors, room hosts and decorators, and -- well, everyone!

It seems to be reaching out to the local community as well, as far as curious non-Tiki subculture people checking things out serendipitously. On Saturday night, my pal Edwin and I both opted to accessorize with fezzes, haberdashery-wise, and a lady introduced herself at one point who said "I don't know much about this tiki stuff, so why does everyone have fezzes?" Truthfully not knowing a logical answer ourselves (and I hope there isn't one), we responded the only way we could: "Why not?"

Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-08-19 12:22 pm   Permalink

That was a hell of a weekend!

Thanks again to all who attended the zombie seminar- I hope you enjoyed yourselves.

In addition to Team Zombie, we had some late members join in, so thanks to Kat and Jeanne for lending a hand, as well as Atomic & and Vintage Girl on the door.

Speaking of Atomic Cocktail- many thanks to him for the outstanding breakaway suit that he made for me! Everyone should have one. I'm already thinking about other chances to use it.

Thanks to Hanford Lemoore for the tapa background pattern that I used when designing my placemats- I love the Bobtapa!

Thanks to Patrick, Cammo, Mateo, and certainly Otto for all the help in coordinating the event.

And finally, let me say a very heartfelt thanks (and I know that I'm speaking here for Mike and Mano as well) to everyone I saw sporting Forbidden Island t-shirts and bowling shirts all over the place. It really means a lot to all of us that this community has shown us such love and support for the last two+ years. Thank you all very much!!!!!!

MAHALO!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 12:46 pm   Permalink

First of all Whaaaaa!!! Tiki Oasis is over. Secondly, YAY! we had a blast at TO. A heartfelt thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for all of the work they put into this event every year...As always, it was wonderful and I can't wait for Surf City next year! I think I'll rest my liver for the remainder of this year.

Thank you Otto and Baby Doe. xoxo

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BonzoGal

Posted: 2008-08-19 12:56 pm   Permalink

Oh my oh my that was FUN. Mr. BonzoGal and I had a blast- sadly, he was pretty sick, but he was having too much fun to stay in our room. We have so many new mugs now, we're going to have to do a major re-arrangement of our display space.

The Zombie Drink seminar was incredible- entertaining and educational!

Sitting in my cubicle at work here this morning, I have a little "aloha spirit" buzzing around me... either that or I'm still hungover...

View Profile of BonzoGal Send a personal message to BonzoGal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 1:13 pm   Permalink

Tiki Oasis is one of those events i look forward to literally all year and keeps me stoked until the next year. Just the theme for next years Oasis gives me chicken skin. This last weekend was filled with so many great memories and a few that im sure i will never recapture until hopefully right before i die and my life flashes before my eyes and those intoxicating moments come flooding back. The aloha spirit was overflowing and the ohana was in full party mode. Mahalo to everyone that attended in making this a collective good time.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation