FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 06:55 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-08-19 07:59, Jeff Central wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-18 22:39, tikiyaki wrote:

Esquivel is definitely more Space Age bachelor pad music than Exotica. He did have a few tracks that border on Exotica though.
Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Amazon Paddle Boat is amazing and totally exotica. Give it a listen sometime. Email me at
rcbrooksod@aol.com if you want the mp3.

Note: I corrected "Amazon Jungle Boat" from the original post to "Amazon Paddle Boat" which is the correct title. TB

[ This Message was edited by: tikibob 2008-08-20 08:19 ]

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 08:32 am   Permalink

WOW! Great pictures, everyone.. thanks for posting them. So many events and happenings, and so little time to hit them all. (Especially when you lose 1.5 hours hugging the toilet after Friday's room crawls & Rum tasting and not eating lunch.)

Huge thanks to Otto & Baby Doe for another jam-packed Tiki Oasis. Friday's musical line-up was absolutely fantastic - Waitiki, Martini Kings, and (especially) Robert Drasnin. Though Saturday's music fit the Voodoo Zombie theme of TO this year, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Special thanks to Maikai Gents for keeping the music at a manageable level by playing in the hotel hallways, elevator, and crawl rooms. Those guys know how to work the crowd!

Martin's symposium on the Zombie was the highlight of TO for me this year! Way to go, Martin!! Nice touch with the tear-away suit.

The room crawl hosts went out of their way to make TO a really special event. I wasn't able to visit them all, but my thanks go out to WooHoo & Soccer, CheekyGirl, and the NorCal group for their contributions. Kahuna Kent created a really cool mug for the event too. Loud, live music from rooms were a little over the top, as they are hotel SLEEPING rooms and places for guests to escape and relax.

My special thanks to the FOM room hosts, croe67 (Caroline) and skitiki (Stacy), for letting me go wild with my decorating skills to create the Old Hawaiiana room to keep the "Polynesian" aspect of Tiki alive for this year's event, and to compliment us pouring the 1934 version Zombie. (I will have to re-think pouring a really strong drink so early in the day!) Also, my sincerest thanks to Buzzy (carved Tikis), Tiki-Kate (vintage shirts and fishnet floats), and Cammo (leis) for helping us with those special touches to our room.

It was really cool to see old friends and make some new ones. I finally got to meet Formikahiki (Alice with that magical voice), Mieko, Grog, Susie, and so many others I forgot to mention.

Many mahalos to everyone who bought my TWB Fishnet Float earrings and pendants. And to Suzanne who sold them in her vending booth while I was running around being crazy. If you missed out on them, contact me at the upcoming Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale, or PM me!

PS Thanks for the Golden Mug Award, Cammo!! I just dropped the check in the mail for you!

Aloha!!!
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 09:18 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-08-20 06:55, tikibob wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-19 07:59, Jeff Central wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-18 22:39, tikiyaki wrote:

Esquivel is definitely more Space Age bachelor pad music than Exotica. He did have a few tracks that border on Exotica though.
Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Amazon Paddle Boat is amazing and totally exotica. Give it a listen sometime. Email me at rcbrooksod@aol.com if you want the mp3.

Note: I corrected "Amazon Jungle Boat" from the original post to "Amazon Paddle Boat" which is the correct title. TB

[ This Message was edited by: tikibob 2008-08-20 08:19 ]

Yep!! That was a track from an album that was found in the vaults by Brother Cleve. I used it at the Bon Voyage Kahiki party.

Definitely Exotica!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 10:38 am   Permalink

Way to go Matt!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FlatEarthTrading
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 3:48 pm   Permalink

I wanted to give a big shout out to all that attended Tiki Oasis. Thanks again to Otto, Mark and all that make this such a tremendous event. We had such a great time seeing old and new friends, we will look forward to seeing everyone again next year!

Greg

View Profile of FlatEarthTrading Send a personal message to FlatEarthTrading  Email FlatEarthTrading Goto the website of FlatEarthTrading     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 5:35 pm   Permalink

"PS Thanks for the Golden Mug Award, Cammo!! I just dropped the check in the mail for you!"

Thanks, bro. That $12,382.00 is gonna come in pretty handy.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 8:12 pm   Permalink

Man! What a party! It was so great to see all you tiki pals who I only get to see once a year (not often enough!) and a lot of new faces at this year's event too. Thanks to everyone who came by the booth for your warm reception of my velvet work--I am SO INSPIRED to go home and paint now! Kudos to Otto & Doe on a job well done again this year. Hopefully I'll make it back to California again before next August. If you're in the LA area you can still catch me Friday night at La Luz de Jesus where Bob Drasnin will be signing picture discs & playing a few tunes. Then it's back to Canada for me.

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 9:40 pm   Permalink

Great big aloohaaaas to Otto and Baby Doe for putting on YET ANOTHER fantastic Tiki Oasis. And I want to thank everyone who stopped in at my first (but not last!) room party on Saturday night. The "HOly Altar of HO" (Don Ho, that is) seemed to be appreciated, along with the "Bubbly Ho" cocktail creation. Thank you, Rebecca & Dave, for looking after me that Oasis night years ago, and ALSO last Saturday night! Thank you, Tiki Pugs for your grand sense of always knowing how to have a good time (and keeping the unwanted, strange, drunk guy away from the party). Thank you, Nick Camara, for giving me a creative (and legal) place to express my love of Tiki since Issue #2... and thank you to all the artists who honored me by showing up at my soiree. Doug Horne, Hassan Patterson, Squid, Thor... I bow to your greatness!

I just wish I had taken more photos! I've discovered it's really hard to hold a camera while your whipping up cocktails. Maybe I can build some Rube Goldberg-type device that will allow me to do both at the same time...and that will match my dress.

I already have figured out my theme for my next Oasis room party. (Oh, I do love a theme.) And you're all invited!

Until we meet again (which, the way this year has been going, will probably be sooner than later...)

Much Aloha,

Kari Hendler

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 9:55 pm   Permalink

The strange, unwanted, drunk guy was one of the homeless guys that hang around down by the Sports Arena and lives in a motorhome. I went to help Eric the Red out with some things in the front lot and that guy was falling all over the bushes, then wandered out towards the street. I really do hope he was ok, even though he was annoying. I've met the guy before and he's actually kind of cool, in a strange, gross, sort of way.

My buddy Dave works at the Hanalei and the tikis have been returned. There is no more information coming from the hotel and they are just happy to have them back and be able to retain the parts of the hotel that they, themselves have not already destroyed.

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 11:40 pm   Permalink

First ever Tiki Oasis was a great success.....I have picture blogs on my myspace
go here

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=134477960

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 08:11 am   Permalink

I forgot to mention Ernie Keen (aka: "Grog")! Thank you, Ernie, for coming to my party, too! You rock! And I'm craving a steak at Damons! So...?

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 09:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-20 21:55, Billy the Crud wrote:

My buddy Dave works at the Hanalei and the tikis have been returned.

Nice!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
goddess-sun
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-21 09:06 am   Permalink

We would like to thank everyone involved for making this event happen. It was so much fun as always. We have attended all but the first Oasis. It just keeps getting better and better throughout the years. Thank YOU!!!!!

View Profile of goddess-sun Send a personal message to goddess-sun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-21 09:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-20 21:55, Billy the Crud wrote:
The strange, unwanted, drunk guy was one of the homeless guys that hang around down by the Sports Arena and lives in a motorhome. I went to help Eric the Red out with some things in the front lot and that guy was falling all over the bushes, then wandered out towards the street. I really do hope he was ok, even though he was annoying. I've met the guy before and he's actually kind of cool, in a strange, gross, sort of way.

My buddy Dave works at the Hanalei and the tikis have been returned. There is no more information coming from the hotel and they are just happy to have them back and be able to retain the parts of the hotel that they, themselves have not already destroyed.

WHOO !!!

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 11:00 am   Permalink

I'm still unpacking, winding down and doing laundry! I had a blast! It was great seeing everyone old and new.

The rum tasting was fun and informative -- this should most definitely be a recurring event.
The NorCal Ohana are the best. I wear my FI t-shirt like a badge of honor!

Martin's symposium was the absolutely the highlight of the Oasis for me...Martin you are the master and my god.

And to those that stopped by my room for the Crawl, thanks for trying my new drink and to Fire Monkey Glass -- for my new VooDoo Kitty blown glass pendant.

Thanks to Otto, Baby Doe, and the entertainers, musicians, DJ's, so many people to thank...and everyone behind the scenes that had a part in engineering this event.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation