FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Tiki Glam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-18 5:34 pm   Permalink

"$110.00 2X's"

Are you trying to say you've been twice, and both times got the $110 ticket and was happy???

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Glam 2008-03-18 17:39 ]

View Profile of Tiki Glam Send a personal message to Tiki Glam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Glam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-19 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-18 00:32, Otto wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-03-17 13:22, Tiki Glam wrote:
At this point I/we aren't sure if we want to attend ALL the symposiums (as they haven't all been posted yet obviously), or just want to pick a couple, or what. I'm afraid if I just get the $40 (or 110) ticket then I will miss out on some cool stuff, but if I splurge on the $150 and then don't end up attending it all I will feel guilty.

Thank you, from a Tiki Oasis virgin

This is a somewhat difficult and personal decision. I highly recommend the mug, so the $110 ticket is a no-brainer. the mug is the best keepsake from the event and it is collectable and it is cool. Did you see the pix on tikiblog.com?

As for the symposiums, that is true, you may not want to go to all of them. BUT the VIP pass entitles you to fast track line that allows you to show up at the last minute, get in a short line, and still get a good seat!!

so what is THAT worth to you?

Thank you Otto. I'm surprised nobody else has chimed in on this! That mug is SUPER cute, so at the very least I will prob go for the $110 ticket, but we'll see!

View Profile of Tiki Glam Send a personal message to Tiki Glam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monet2u
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 12:01 pm   Permalink

ya know you want it dina...the tiki mug that is.

I'm in like flynn. Going VIP all the way. Gonna soak up all that is tiki.

View Profile of monet2u Send a personal message to monet2u      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 2:09 pm   Permalink

We are booked for our 3rd Tiki Oasis! Staying Sunday so we can enjoy all that San Diego has to offer, though we might be dragging after all the room crawls from the weekend. Anyone booked dinner reservations at Bali Hai for Thursday night yet? Last year we booked 1.5 hours before the event started so we had plenty of time for dinner and to grab a good seat at the event downstairs.

Thanks Otto! Looking forward to the announcement of the symposiums, times, and prices.

Aloha all!
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-21 4:52 pm   Permalink

TikiWineBear - you're the first person who has made mention of the Bali Hai event. I've never been to the TO before, but my sis and I are doing it up right! We have resies at BH but we're not sure what's going on there. Is there a private room with some activity happening? Please elaborate if possible. Thanks! Can't wait!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-22 10:36 pm   Permalink

beadtiki,
Check out this alternate posting about the event at the Bali Hai during Tiki Oasis. I think you will get some information here.

See you there!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27745&forum=1&3

Myke

By the way, you can contact the Bali Hai at 619.222.1181

(edit - added Bali Hai phone number)

[ This Message was edited by: tikiwinebear 2008-03-23 09:12 ]

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 12:31 pm   Permalink

This information will be announced shortly on the Tiki Oasis site but I thought I would give everyone a heads up.............

Jeff Chenault presents
Sounds for Sophisticated Savages

Exotica researcher Jeff Chenault has become a well-known figure in the Exotica world. His extensive research comes from a lifetime love affair with music and his consummate passion for unusual sounds. For the past two years he has presented his Exotica seminars to enthusiastic crowds at the Hukilau event in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. His ultimate goal is to share, educate and enlighten people with this extraordinary and fascinating form of music.

This year Jeff will present an ever-expanding version of his music seminar. The show will include an introductory overview of Exotica pioneers Martin Denny, Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman, and also chronicle more obscure artists such as Eden Ahbez and Jimmy Namaro. As an added bonus Jeff will highlight the career of Hollywood film composer Robert Drasnin. Bob’s quintessential first album Voodoo is considered by many to be a masterpiece of the genre. Bob will also be making a special guest appearance.

Join us for an entertaining and educational journey into the world of Exotica.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 10:35 pm   Permalink

Excellent,
thanks Jeff, looking forward to it,

From a Surf Enthusiast and Exotica music part time fan.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-28 05:29 am   Permalink

Really looking forward to the music seminar...it's sure to be an Oasis favorite.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 12:53 pm   Permalink

Hi - I'll be DJing the event this year, can't wait!-- ALSO am planning on making avalible a very special limited edition 7" picture disc....it's secret right now but I'll let you know more about it soon...!

AND - if you have a moment, please check out the new Dionysus Records site!
www.dionysusrecords.com.

See you in August!

Lee
www.dionysusrecords.com

Join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays, 3-5 PM Pacific

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 1:47 pm   Permalink

Any chance of hearing more Exotica and classic Hawaiian steel this year around the pool? Or in keeping with the event theme, lots of Harry Belafonte Calypso mixed to perfection?

And way off topic here - is there any reason to play modern club dance music when nobody's even remotely interested in modern club dancing?

And any possibility of getting an active microphone hooked up to the sound system so DJs can announce when Otto's group events are about to happen? Or is that too corny old-school?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 2:00 pm   Permalink

I'd be ALL OVER Belafonte Calypso music....

It totally fits the Carribean Voodoo vibe.

Its a throwback sound... it ran parrallel with the 50's-60's timeline of Exotica (to some degree)

Its fun music... its festive sounding...

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 3:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 12:53, DJLee wrote:
Hi - I'll be DJing the event this year, can't wait!-- ALSO am planning on making avalible a very special limited edition 7" picture disc....it's secret right now but I'll let you know more about it soon...!

AND - if you have a moment, please check out the new Dionysus Records site! http://www.dionysusrecords.com.

See you in August!

Lee

Looking forward to some great tunes spun by DJ Lee.

Looking forward to the picture disc too!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 4:46 pm   Permalink

I was wondering if the ever-helpful Tiki Centralites could give me some advice. I've been invited to join the artists at the show this year but have zero experience in anything like this, which leaves me with several important questions:

If I can't bring my paintings on the flight, can I safely send my work to the hotel and have it held there?

Is there a time I need to arrive by to start setting up, or someone I need to contact when I get there?

Is the artist's area outdoors, under cover, or out in the sun?

What part of the day do the artists hawk their wares?

What kind of area do the artists have to set up in, a couple of folding tables? Are tables provided? I assume that I'll have to find some way to fly out display gear to put my paintings on.

My wife and I have nearly 2,000 miles to travel and would appreciate any help anyone could give.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 10:40 pm   Permalink

Im assuming that you are referring to the vending area at Oasis. Its sunny.. pretty much all of the vendor space gets LOTS of sun during the day.

There are a few vendor spots that are right next to the building that have a little shade in the morning but the sun will pour down on you later.

There is also an indoor vending area that is completely out of the sun AND is air conditioned.. Last year at Oasis we had a serious heat spell and the temperature outside in the vending area was probably over 90 degrees....

If you can rent a canopy.. I would do that. If you can get inside... that might be an easier option for you.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation