[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Sweet & Sour Substitute
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Sweet & Sour Substitute
Tiki_Cincy_Craig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-14 9:19 pm   Permalink

There are many recipes in the Grog Log, Intoxica & vintage recipes elsewhere that call for 'sweet & sour' mix. Personally, I won't use bottled S&S mix, which is loaded with high fructose corn syrup & artificial flavourings. When you take the time & expense to fresh squeeze juices & use top shelf spirits the old S&S will really muck up an otherwise fine drink.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what to use when an otherwise fine recipe calls for S&S mix? I really appreciate any suggestions that you might have!

Cheers & Mahalo,

Craig in Cincinnati

View Profile of Tiki_Cincy_Craig Send a personal message to Tiki_Cincy_Craig  Email Tiki_Cincy_Craig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-15 02:23 am   Permalink

BB in "Sippin' Safari" recommends:

One part simple syrup to two parts fresh lemon juice.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 08:57 am   Permalink

I think the fresh lemon juice and sugar is the way to go. Having said that, Sunkist makes a decent sweet & sour if you're willing to give a premade product one more shot (not sure which products you've used so far). It's something like 43% juice and doesn't have that preservative/chemical aftertaste or smell imho. It actually smells like lemon. I use it to make pirate grogs (Blackbeard's Ghosts) and it works fairly well.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 09:24 am   Permalink

We ('we' as in, TofuJoe and I) use 1 part fresh lemon, 1 part fresh lime, and 1 part simple. Totally easy.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 09:33 am   Permalink

I use 1/2 part lime, 1/2 part lemon, 1 part simple as suggested to me in 2002 by Martin Cate. Works like a charm.

-=C
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 11:34 am   Permalink

For great margarita's, I use 1 pt key lime juice to 1/4 pt. simple syrup. I am not sure how it would work in an exotic, but it really tricks up the margarita. Since you can use less of the "mix" in your drink, i.e. instead of 3 oz of margarita mix, I use 1 ounce lime juice with 1/4 oz simple syrup, it's important to shake like hell in order to melt the ice and achieve enough liquid volume for your drink. I wouldn't suggest a 1:1 ratio when substituting fresh sweet and sour with store bought.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 3:38 pm   Permalink

While we're on the topic of substituting ingredients,does anyone have any recommendations for a honey/honey water substitute.I don't mind it as a food ingredient,but find it too overpowering in a drink.
I have been told to try agave syrup,but haven't got around to buying some yet.Any other ideas out there.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-16 05:23 am   Permalink

Which is it supposed to be? Lemon + simple Syrup . . . . lime + simple syrup . . . . . lemon+lime+simple syrup? What are the "Correct" "Sweet & Sour Mix" components?
I know, I know . . . I'm old so I confuse easily . . .

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-16 07:03 am   Permalink

I'm inclined to use Melintur's formula. I like the variety of using both lemon and lime, and tend to like things sweeter rather than tart.

No matter which you use, it *has* to be better than the store-brought crap with high fructose corn syrup and preservatives!!

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-16 07:59 am   Permalink

HFCS!!! Slowly I turned...inch by in...step by step...

If I was using simple syrup I would go the martikian route with Melintur's proportions. But since I use pretty dense Rock Candy Syrup that has three or more times the sugar per volume as simple syrup, I use essentially* equal volumes of lime, lemon, and RCS.

*If I use a particularly unstable batch of RCS, I lighten up on that part.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-16 09:43 am   Permalink

I should have disclosed that my simple syrup is 2:1 sugar:water, and I bring softly to boil just long enough to break the disachharide bonds.

The sour mix is a great balance of sweet:sour - sweet at the front of the flavour, sour note at the end withought being cloying.

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-16 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-16 09:43, Melintur wrote:
I bring softly to boil just long enough to break the disachharide bonds.

Could you go into more details here? I'm still trying to understand the science of sugar, and every time I've boiled a syrup I've burned the sugar...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-11-16 11:54 am   Permalink

Quote:
I have been told to try agave syrup,but haven't got around to buying some yet.

A "thumbs up" on agave syrup from me. It's not as sweet as honey, doesn't crystallize, and seems to dissolve better when mixing drinks.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-16 3:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-16 10:54, Scottes wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-16 09:43, Melintur wrote:
I bring softly to boil just long enough to break the disachharide bonds.

Could you go into more details here? I'm still trying to understand the science of sugar, and every time I've boiled a syrup I've burned the sugar...

2:1 sugar to water.
Heat on medium. Stir casually and constantly, looking at the solution. It will be cloudy. I use a silicon spatula and wipe the sides consistently to keep crystals from forming. The mixture will approach boiling and then have a nice boil at which point you will notice that the sugar changes from cloudy to clear (this will happen very soon after the boil). At that point IMMEDIATELY remove the saucepan from the heat - move it to a trivet, another burner that is off, etc.

Now when you say burned the sugar, do you notice it in the flavor, color? The flavor does change a bit as the some of sucrose changes into glucose + Fructose solution. Not as much as if you added an acid to get invert sugar mind you!

The most important thing is a soft ramp up to heat, then as soon as you see it clear (or for starters as soon as it hits a boil) get it away from the heat!

LeChuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-16 3:43 pm   Permalink

If you are concerned about burning why heat it at all? You can make a 2:1 sugar syrup in a bottle without heating it (at least with superfine sugar). It just needs a lot of shaking and it will take a while to clear up. Am I missing something here?

View Profile of LeChuck Send a personal message to LeChuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation