FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Ti 12/28/07
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Tiki Ti 12/28/07
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-30 11:53 pm   Permalink

Tiki Ti at 5:30 pm Friday night. I can hear voices inside coming from the fan portholes above the door.

I pound on the door, "Hey Mike, it's Tim, can I come in early to take some pictures before you open the door?" Someone pounds back.
I try again. It's getting Fing cold out here.

Mike Sr finally invites me in and I start taking pictures.

"Thats quite a rum collection you have Mike "

Have you been to Forbidden Island? Mike asks me. "Martin has almost two hundred rums, now that's a collection."
Mike suggests I get some pictures of the art work in the women's room before the door opens. "Guys usually don't get to see those"

Just as I leave the women's room I get glared at by a customer striding in the second they open the door. She gives me a WTF were you doing in there look.

The bar stools are instantly taken, within 10 seconds all 12 are claimed.
Do you have any flaming drinks I ask? "The Lapu Lapu used to be a flaming drink until there was an accident one time" I tell them about Unga's Tiki Crawl Kinko's incident in October. "That's why we don't serve them here anymore" laughs Mike.
Unga Bunga arrives and I give him a Kinko's card for a momento of that Tiki Central webcast he made famous that night. Hakalugi looks on.

I remember watching it live, like Memorex, well almost. It was live though.

I had a small pile of pictures on the table from the Las Vegas Trader Vic's for people to enjoy, I mean appreciate?
No, that's the wrong word too.
We... goofed on them, yeah, that's it! Goofed on them (way to go Doc) Vic would be...

Is it just me or does this look like a hospital waiting room?

My pocket Tiki and I went in checked out the bar. I can't repeat his comments here.
I asked the LVTV manager this week, "Isn't head candy a nickname for cocaine?"

Haole'Akamai forgot her clown suit (so she says) so no Voodoo Priestess in honor of poor Andy.

A moment of silence for poor Andy who loved Tiki and the Scottish Clown Doctor's.

Hanford gives Haole a special Monolux edition of the game of Life and her very own paper wallet.

Bigbro and Naomi show up without the bug infested carving so no pictures of it.

Tigerlily recounted the sand storms endured at Burning Man this year.
Lots of cool pictures you got there Tigerlily (Yeah, I want to pay $300.00 to camp for a week in the burning desert) But then again, hundreds of nude women on bikes at once?

Maybe I 'd go with a RV.

My childhood friend and fellow urban archeologist surprised me and showed up.

Doc Shocker, Rob Roy and Ickabod from the Cult of the Eyestopped by one the way to some shriner meeting I guess.

The Fedora Gang and friends.

PhiPiRo and Hanford.

Whale Rider and Sperm Whale

Tigerlily, her friend and Grog.

John Paul and Bigtikidude.

Gil the Tiki Ti webmaster and friemd.

Are you kidding me?

Haole'Akamai shows how to correctly model a new Eye of the Goof mug.

Did anyone ever see that British movie How to get ahead in Advertising? Theres something about this photo? Anyone remember it besides me?
I spotted Kirby across the room and some other TCers kept Unga out of trouble.
Tiki Ti patrons helped to make it impossible for me to navigate so I was off to Safari Sam's to join the others.
The drink menu on the way out ( I knew it was time to go)

Spotted these cards on the wall.
Happy New Year Humu Humu we all missed you there.

I had wanted to make this the first OJTV webcast on Justin but couldn't get it all together yet. EVDO. 3G, Wi Fi, I ended up saying WTF,
I'll do it this spring. So pictures are better than nothing.

[ This Message was edited by: ojaitimo 2008-01-12 10:23 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 10:39 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting some pic's Ojaimito. It was nice to meet you!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 12:49 pm   Permalink

Safari Sam's for my first time.

John Paul, Kirby and Bigtikidude

Hey, you spilled beer on me you jerk!

Deke Dickerson

Susy and Adam

Hiphipahula, Polly,Tigerlily,her friend and Bigtikidude

Grog, Haole'Akamai , Tofu Joe and Tigerlily's friend

I was kind of in shock from flashbacks of sorts for a while. I just turned 53 and when I was a toddler here in LA, my brothers would take me out with them. My oldest Johnny played guitar and stand up bass in a local band, he wore Hawaiian shirts and played chess. My other brother Joel was in the Toppers car club. Black leather jacket, Levi's cuffed. hair slicked back. He and his buddies thought of Johnny as a geek until his band he had with a guy named Maurice from Africa began performing rockabily calypso. They played locally in the late fifties. The Toppers car club dug the music in spite of Johnnies look they thought it was cool. Not realizing I wasn't a teenager myself I tried hard to blend into that group going with them to Tiny Naylor's, various drive in car hops, drag strips, pool halls. I was the youngest teen in LA in the fifties, the girl's were amused as I recall.

Here I was at Safari Sam's 50 years later.
Same look that I remember. Like a time capsule in front of me, the same music, clothes, vibe. This was cool and I was transported back in time.
The house rocked to Deke Dickerson and Big Sandy.

[ This Message was edited by: ojaitimo 2008-01-04 09:36 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 9:19 pm   Permalink

I had a great time! I really dug Deke Dickerson! And The Tiki Ti is always "top shelf" LOL... note in all the last photos posted how crowded Safari Sam's was and The Tiki Ti and then look at Trader Vic's Lounge lol... on a Friday Night! I think Trader Vic's just needs to be called Trader! LOL... lightin' up

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-01 10:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ojaitimo for the great photos. Fun night seeing so many folks out and especially from Nor Cal. The parmesan fries rocked at Safari Sam's.

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 11:33 am   Permalink

Thanks Tigerlilly,yeah they rocked! Dele Dickerson and Big Sandy were awesome. I missed Parmesan Fries though, must have got there too late. Anyone get any pics of them?

TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 12:25 pm   Permalink

Well, we finally got home safe. Haole'Akamai and I had a great time! It was great hanging out with everyone.

Now I just can't figure out why the heck it took us so long to finally get to the Ti, but it was worth the trip down.

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 1:47 pm   Permalink

Didn't you arrive with a flat tire? I've heard of run flat tires but I don't think you can run them that far.

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-02 2:57 pm   Permalink

Looks like a great time was had by all! Wish I could have been there but I had reservations in Yosemite for the weekend to get my annual snow fix. There was plenty of it!

Happy New Year everyone!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-08 2:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-28 17:06, hiltiki wrote:
Can't make it this time.

Okay...Hil...couldn't keep quiet....we were there, but embarrassingly, 2 nights too early!

We pulled up to the Tiki Ti, and noticed there were metal bars on the doors. We thought, well maybe it because of the strong winds, there's still a bunch of cars outside. I phoned the Ti, no answer, but the answering machine didn't say anything about it being closed. We thought, they are just busy slinging yummy drinks. We yanked on the door...damn closed! Still in disbelieve we phoned BTD, our error was confirmed. Denied!

We consoled ourselves in a couple of cocktails at another establishment.
Not quite the same....sorry we missed ya'll...

PS...Thanks BTD

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 05:58 am   Permalink

Hello,

Can anyone tell me who the artist is of the painting in the third picture on page 4?

Thanks,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-09 05:58, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me who the artist is of the painting in the third picture on page 4?

Thanks,

PTD

It's Miles Thompson in a Tiki Diablo frame,

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-09 10:04, Bora Boris wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-01-09 05:58, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

PTD

It's Miles Thompson in a Tiki Diablo frame,

Thanks for the help! It is one sweet painting!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation