Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts bamboo wall frame, sort of
bamboo wall frame, sort of
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-21 6:51 pm   Permalink

Been working on the tiki room... and just finished this bamboo frame thingee... The frame is about 4.5" deep..., its 5' by 8' made with painted black 1x6's .. fluorescent light inside, with stained bamboo on the inside of the frame. Planning on adding some silk bambooo leaves towards the top, and add some tikis around it as I get back to carving.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-11-21 6:59 pm   Permalink

Looks nice! What kind of stain did you use on the bamboo?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-21 7:06 pm   Permalink

I actually found the bamboo stained already at Pier 1. I was glad, 'cause bamboo is a real pain in the arse to stain!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-11-21 7:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-21 19:06, Davez_tikiz wrote:
...bamboo is a real pain in the arse to stain!

Yeah, that's why I asked. I was hoping maybe you found some sort of magic wonder stain that works easily with bamboo.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2007-11-21 7:27 pm   Permalink

Wow...very classy...I love it. Cute kids too...LOL

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-22 06:01 am   Permalink

Looks great!! almost reminds me of the maps the Polynesians used on long voyages. I have a pic of one some where. Keep posting the pic. The end result sounds fantastic.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-22 09:01 am   Permalink

super cool, well done piece of decor, I like its simplicity and elegance. a version of that would be great as a built in bar front. Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-23 08:59 am   Permalink

Thanks all for the nice feedback. Here are some pics of the rest of the room. It's still a work in progress. The room is a compromise of my "lauhala, bamboo, tikis everywhere" desires, and my wife's "classy, tiki yet elegant" desires. Lots of conversations later, we found a middle ground.

We found some nice bamboo furniture in LA... at a place called Hermosa Beach Designs.

Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-23 09:01 am   Permalink

Here's the pic from 8 ft at Coontiki......

another Coontiki piece..

Monkeyman class lamp...

and Santa Marq watches over all...

Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-27 3:54 pm   Permalink

The bamboo frame thingy looks cool. Nice work.
I recognize that monkey man lamp
I like your elegant tiki look.
We just got a set of bamboo furniture for under our Palapa from Hermosa Beach Designs.
Great store.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation