FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Beachcomber, Shanklin Hotel, Isle of Wight, Shanklin, Isle of Wight, UK (bar)
Beachcomber, Shanklin Hotel, Isle of Wight, Shanklin, Isle of Wight, UK (bar)
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-22 07:41 am   Permalink

Name:Beachcomber, Shanklin Hotel, Isle of Wight
Type:bar
Street: Clarendon Rd,
City:Shanklin, Isle of Wight
State:
Zip:
Phone:01983 862286

Description:

I bought these two postcards on eBay back in June and did a bit of urban-archeology and discovered the hotel still existed so I sent of an email and this is the reply I got back..

Thank you for your email.

The two pictures you have are the only ones we currently have on file. The Beachcomber closed in the late 80s (around 86) but there is no one that currently works here that know much about it.

One piece of information that we are told on numerous occasions from guests that remember the hotel in the 60s and 70s is that the water features had live baby alligators in them - in one of the postcards you can just make out the pool - in 'beachcomber 1' the lady in mauve and the chap in orange are sat next to it.

I understand that the bar was built in the early 60s when major development work took place on the Shanklin Hotel by the then new owner, Mr Ben Brown. He was a purser with P&O Cruises in the 50s and early 60s, before buying the hotel and is said to have got the idea for the Beachcomber from his many travels around the world.

We do still have in store several bits of memorabilia, including the totem poles, shields and spears which are for sales through one of our directors.

I am sorry we could not have been of more help.

Kind regards

Geoff Holt
Sales Manager
Shanklin & Trouville Hotels, Isle of Wight

...I suspect Mr Ben Brown had the touch of "Trader Vic" about him, the bar inspired by his world travels eh! not the beachcomber in Mayfair then. I wonder if this "Beachcomber" was inspired by the mayfair one or is it another GCB installation.

The bar as it is now, the beachcomber leisure facilities, tiki replaced by indoor grass bowling.

[ This Message was edited by: atomictonytiki 2007-11-22 07:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 14:44 ]

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-23 12:49 pm   Permalink

Its a shame another UK tiki bar is lost to history again,One of my friends mum went to this in the early 70s sounded quite cool compared to the usual smoky pubs selling warm beer we have got over here!

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-23 3:49 pm   Permalink

Have you asked her if she has any holiday snaps of the bar?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 5:42 pm   Permalink

Time for a bump on this one. I found the two postcards from the Beachcomber at the Shanklin hotel and did some better scans.

Cool looking place, very similar to the Butlin's Beachcomber Bars.

Could find no more info, and word from our agents in the UK?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation