FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Need help with Mug Id
Need help with Mug Id
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 06, 2007
Posts: 932
From: San Diegoish
Posted: 2007-11-24 1:09 pm   Permalink

Hi All,
I picked up a few mugs recently; one I've never seen before and the other I'm unsure about.

The first is a Chinese mug which had remnants of an unidentifiable retail sticker affixed to the bottom. Does anyone know where this may have come from? Was it a single item or part of a set or series?





The second mug was sold as an Orchids of Hawaii, Japan R-3 with green, jeweled eyes. The markings on the bottom are painted/stamped/silk screened and the piece itself is thin, light-weight and feels rather cheap. I have a few other Orchids pieces which from a quality standpoint are superior, so I have to wonder if this is genuine. Any insights?

Thanks!







_________________

Ovarian Cancer Research



 View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Posts: 3525
From: HELL
Posted: 2007-11-24 1:19 pm   Permalink

the first one looks alot like a set of mugs that spencer gifts sold a couple years back..i don't think it's vintage. pottery barn also sold similiar mugs i think....the orchids i think is the real deal..it seems that orchids made 2 types of mugs...heavier ones to be used by the bar industry and these lightweight ones, to be marketed strictly as gifts or part of gift sets in small shops throughout the sixties and seventies.....these were too fragile to use in the bars, which is why you rarely if ever see a bars name stamped on this mug, but rather on it's heavier counterpart. that's my take on it...anyone else??

 
View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 07, 2006
Posts: 2849
From: West Bay Park, San Diego, CA
Posted: 2007-11-24 1:30 pm   Permalink

Here's the set of those Chinese ones in the original box:


They will be vintage very soon. the new westwoods!

You need the rest of set now.

(...and I just happen to have a few boxes of these lying around for $6 a set.)


Soon to be vintage cheap mugs anyone?
Buzzy Out!


_________________


 View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 06, 2007
Posts: 932
From: San Diegoish
Posted: 2007-11-24 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-24 13:30, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Here's the set of those Chinese ones in the original box:


They will be vintage very soon. the new westwoods!

You need the rest of set now.

(...and I just happen to have a few boxes of these lying around for $6 a set.)


Soon to be vintage cheap mugs anyone?
Buzzy Out!






That's definitely it. I recognize the red mug, the seller sent it to me by mistake. I'd be interested in a set for $6, (especially if I could pick them up). Do you know when they date from?

_________________

Ovarian Cancer Research



 View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 27, 2006
Posts: 2426
From: The Valley! Female, leo,fav color pink.
Posted: 2007-11-24 1:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-24 13:09, LOL Tiki wrote:
Hi All,
I picked up a few mugs recently; one I've never seen before and the other I'm unsure about.

The first is a Chinese mug which had remnants of an unidentifiable retail sticker affixed to the bottom. Does anyone know where this may have come from? Was it a single item or part of a set or series?


The second mug was sold as an Orchids of Hawaii, Japan R-3 with green, jeweled eyes. The markings on the bottom are painted/stamped/silk screened and the piece itself is thin, light-weight and feels rather cheap. I have a few other Orchids pieces which from a quality standpoint are superior, so I have to wonder if this is genuine. Any insights?

Thanks!






Aloha LOLOLLOLOLOLOL

Oh my, those 1st ones are choice "Pony Express" Mugs probibly from Party City, the 2nd is for real too & they are very light weight so that when you throw it it pops! when it breaks. "Quon Quon" also makes that very mug & your others may be "Quons" they are not marked on the botton but by a pull off foil sticker that reads "Quon Quon"

I have to ask, I watch your posts & Ooga Mooga collection & all those wonderful pic's ...all 4,000 of them & have to wonder not to blow your jig here but LOL I don't buy it LOLOLOLOLOL Have fun with your collection
_________________
hiphipahula.com/




 View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 06, 2007
Posts: 932
From: San Diegoish
Posted: 2007-11-24 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-24 13:19, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
the first one looks alot like a set of mugs that spencer gifts sold a couple years back..i don't think it's vintage. pottery barn also sold similiar mugs i think....the orchids i think is the real deal..it seems that orchids made 2 types of mugs...heavier ones to be used by the bar industry and these lightweight ones, to be marketed strictly as gifts or part of gift sets in small shops throughout the sixties and seventies.....these were too fragile to use in the bars, which is why you rarely if ever see a bars name stamped on this mug, but rather on it's heavier counterpart. that's my take on it...anyone else??



Interesting... this one is fragile, I don't think it would last long with household use. It's future is on a shelf.
_________________

Ovarian Cancer Research



 View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 06, 2007
Posts: 932
From: San Diegoish
Posted: 2007-11-24 4:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-24 13:53, Hiphipahula wrote:


Aloha LOLOLLOLOLOLOL

Oh my, those 1st ones are choice "Pony Express" Mugs probibly from Party City, the 2nd is for real too & they are very light weight so that when you throw it it pops! when it breaks. "Quon Quon" also makes that very mug & your others may be "Quons" they are not marked on the botton but by a pull off foil sticker that reads "Quon Quon"

I have to ask, I watch your posts & Ooga Mooga collection & all those wonderful pic's ...all 4,000 of them & have to wonder not to blow your jig here but LOL I don't buy it LOLOLOLOLOL Have fun with your collection




Hi Hip,
Thank you for the additional info. Aside from the price tag remnant there was no other sticker on the mug; maybe Buzzy can check his boxes for a manufacturer id.

"...so that when you throw it it pops!"; ok, that made me laugh! It sounds like the mugs were made for tossing into a fireplace (or fire pit?) at Tiki Weddings. You've had some experience with this, maybe?

I'm glad you like the pics, I know I tend to post a lot for each mug. I do it partly to document the mug, but it's also an attempt to give the viewer a fuller sense of what the piece looks like. If someone is considering a particular piece the photos could be used as a rough reference. And of course, I enjoy doing it. BTW - this morning I posted a reply to your comments on the Squll mug.

I didn't get the meaning of the last part of the paragraph, the part about blowing my jig and not buying it. The turkey and pumpkin pie have slowed me down a bit.

_________________

Ovarian Cancer Research



 View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 07, 2006
Posts: 2849
From: West Bay Park, San Diego, CA
Posted: 2007-11-24 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-24 16:31, LOL Tiki wrote:
maybe Buzzy can check his boxes for a manufacturer id.




It says the following on the bottom of the box:

"PC810197
4 Piece set 12 oz
Ceramic Mug Assortment
7 88677 05699 4

Distributed by
Party City Corporation
Rockaway, NJ 07866
Made in China"

I think party city cleared them out about 9 months ago. They showed up all over the place along with some bamboo table runner, plastic trash can coversers, hula skirts, and a couple other shitty items that I cannot recall, all with the same matching packaging. I don't think they're much more than 3 years old. I've also been informed by a few reliable sources that these were available at Spencers as well.
Yeah LOL, these things are real rare and you better stock up. How many you want?

Buzzy Out!

.
_________________


 View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 06, 2007
Posts: 932
From: San Diegoish
Posted: 2007-11-24 6:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-24 17:06, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-24 16:31, LOL Tiki wrote:
maybe Buzzy can check his boxes for a manufacturer id.




It says the following on the bottom of the box:

"PC810197
4 Piece set 12 oz
Ceramic Mug Assortment
7 88677 05699 4

Distributed by
Party City Corporation
Rockaway, NJ 07866
Made in China"

I think party city cleared them out about 9 months ago. They showed up all over the place along with some bamboo table runner, plastic trash can coversers, hula skirts, and a couple other shitty items that I cannot recall, all with the same matching packaging. I don't think they're much more than 3 years old. I've also been informed by a few reliable sources that these were available at Spencers as well.
Yeah LOL, these things are real rare and you better stock up. How many you want?

Buzzy Out!

.




I'll take a set; I'm in the San Diego area so I may be able to pick them up. PM me and we can sort out the details.

I did a search on Pony Express Creations and
found that they did sell the mugs through Party City and Spencer's Gifts. I also found that they had a larger, 20oz. set, single shots and shot sets.
_________________

Ovarian Cancer Research



 View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Posts: 543
From: Mount Vernon WA Via Seattle WA
Posted: 2007-12-06 8:53 pm   Permalink

Hi, yes I bought a set of 4. Party City. I won't be drinking out of them because they came from china and who knows what kind of lead based glazes they used. I like them because they look weird.
_________________
I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me, Than a Frontal Lobotomy
MYMO


 
View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation