FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikis from Brighton UK - Page 3 update. ;-)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tikis from Brighton UK - Page 3 update. ;-)
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-24 5:39 pm   Permalink

Hello there TC. I've been looking at the forums now for a few months. an found them a great place for inspiration. I mainly look at the carving section as this is what i have become most interested in over the past summer.

If I can briefly introduce my self here, i hope you wont mind. Tark is an a nick name that derives from my full name Tarquin. I live on the south coast of England in a City called Brighton. Its a nice seaside town.

I guess my interest in Tiki lead from my intrest in Custom and hotrods of the '50s and '60. And a general fondness of vintage design and style. I've owned a '68 Plymouth fury for about 11 years now. lowered and customised in my interpretation of a '60s custom.

Any way.. Tikis ! I dont remember why i decided to have ago at my first one. It was about 3 years ago. I remember it being alot harder that i imagined. armed only with some flat chisels it never really came out the way i hoped. It still sits in the garden and has aged quite well. develped a huge crack with in a year though.

About 3 years passed before i did the next one ( this summer) This time i used a nice piece of Beech . Still just chisels , but this wood was so much better to work with. i was a bit happier with this as i felt i was getting better definition and depth. I remembr it was a lovely sunny day and i enjoyed chipping away all afternoon. I was a bit happier with this one.

All this time i had been thinking and drawing Tikis. Alot of good inspiration came from the excellent work i have seen by eveyone on this site. I develped a strange habit of drawing experimental tikis on cardboard tubes ( Yes toilet rolls.. lol) So 6 weeks ago i bought my first electric chainsaw. having never used one before i went right ahead and started cutting into one of the logs i have been collecting. Ok no planning or drawing , and really just to see what a chainsaw could do i came up with this one...

He's quite crude. but at last deep cuts and definition are quick to achieve. It was also great fun. He's sitting on my bar which i've been building and adding to over the years... ( but thats another story)

Ok, i hope you dont mind. But the one i'm most proud of is the 4th one i've done and at 7foot by far the biggest. I made friends with the owner of a local Saw mill and managed to buy some Douglas Fir . I had no idea how it would turn out. i had somthing in mind and i did draw/plan it on the log so as to not go compleatly wonky.But more or less learnt how to do it as it went along. I roled the old Plymouth out of the garage and this became my wood work shop for the weekend.

Scorched with blow torch.

Finally i rubbed in a dark wax i had left over form fitting my pine doors. Making the colour deep and bringing the big grain out.... ( Yeah thats mee there..lol)

There he is now in the bar ....

I am pleased with the result. Most of all it was great fun.... And owe many of you great thanks, for looking at all your works in progress has taught me alot.
Any coments , suggetions and critisisms are most welcome. I'm looking forward to do the next one. Unfortunatly the UK weather is not so inspireing at the moment... Yes cold and damp... But i'll move the car back out side soon and the chips will fly. (and the saw dust will get up my nose)

Thanks for reading..

Tark

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tark 2008-01-17 03:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tark 2008-09-17 14:39 ]

View Profile of Trader Tark Send a personal message to Trader Tark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-24 6:44 pm   Permalink

Way to go Trader Tark! Great intro. Cool to see your journey of several years compressed into a few photos. You seem to be approaching Tiki carving in the right way - take big ol steps and try to make each better than the last..

Keep it up. Thanks for sharing.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 02:50 am   Permalink

Hi Tark,
these are great. Nice to meet you HERE. I Like the big one made out of douglas fir the most. You put a nice finish on by burning it.
Hope, there is more to come. Now the question, most us us would ask: any work in progress-pics?

Greetings form Germany, tok-tok

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 02:53 am   Permalink

Hey Tark, welcome to TC. Good to have another UK tikiphile onboard.

Aloha

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-11-25 04:58 am   Permalink

Looking good! Welcome...

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 07:48 am   Permalink

Aloha and wellcome on TC. Great pictures for your first post! Keep on carving!

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 07:57 am   Permalink

Trader Tark, welcome to TC. Your pieces look great. I love the tiki bar. Keep us posted.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 10:58 am   Permalink

Welcome to T.C.
Very good work, better and better piece after piece.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 1:25 pm   Permalink

Hi Trader Tark
great job, i love your finishing
this week it's also the first time for me with a electric chainsaw in my hands........i can't show you the pictures - a big massacre
show us more soon
greets from France
Akuae

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 1:58 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC. Your a great addition. Be careful though. You may never get your car back in the garage. That happened to me - and my wife reminds me of it every time it rains!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-25 2:56 pm   Permalink

LOL....maybe carvers should add on a tiki carving room to their homes, equipped with a nice shop vac.

Welcome to TC Tark...you are truly blessed with the carving talent. That 7-foot guy looks just awesome in your bar. Your bar looks great too...love the leopard and lighting...great work!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 4:03 pm   Permalink

Nice tikis! You have really developed your skills nicely. If your into hot rod art etc. you should check out www.kustomkulturegallery.com/ if you haven't already. Great artists & lots of tiki stuff too!

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 4:52 pm   Permalink

Did I mention: Brighton is great! I have been there twice, on the seaside. Any rumble in brighton tonight, man?

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-11-26 1:45 pm   Permalink

welcome to tc, tark. you've already shown considerable progress in your first couple carvings - and that 7 footer really stands out. I like the chisel lines you put around the nose and mouth, it gives the tiki a lot of texture and character.

I love brighton too - I spent some time there and learned to love the english coast line. Is the old busted up pier still standing?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-26 5:34 pm   Permalink

Welcome, I think you are hooked like the rest of us.
Your Tiki's look great!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation