FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Tikis from Brighton UK - Page 3 update. ;-)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tikis from Brighton UK - Page 3 update. ;-)
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-27 01:40 am   Permalink

Wow ,

Thank you all for your welcome and Kind words of encouragement. I really hope that this weekend i will have time to begin carving again.. I like to put plenty of time aside so i can stay on it as long as possible with out distractions.
Yes, I can post a few progress pics of the big Tiki. I'll have to do this later form my Home PC though.

Tok-Tok & Polynesiac. Hey , Glad you visited Brighton.. Not sure when you were last here, but i'm sad to inform you that the Old Pier is slowly sinking into the sea. A couple of years back it also caught fire one morning and now its just a metal skeleton... In fact its quite a cool wreak. Quite a surreal sight just off the beach.

Cheers

Tark

View Profile of Trader Tark Send a personal message to Trader Tark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-27 12:57 pm   Permalink

Hi again,

I found some progress pics of the last one i did. So thought i's post them as was requestd by Tok-Tok.

Above shows initial scorching with blow torch.

Above shows me applying "Dark Oak" wax.

I applied the wax good and thick, i used it to fill the deep recesses and create the dark contrast around the eyes and patterns etc. I rubbed off the excess and polished. Now the wax had soaked in and dried..

Not sure if any one else has experience with Douglas Fir. I guess i should expect it to crack and split in time? This was one of the reasons i wanted to wax it. Hoping it would Keep it supple. I think i may be hoping for too much with a piece that size. I don't suppose i'll be puting it out side. But i would like to do some that can be displayed in the garden at some point.

Cheers

Tark

View Profile of Trader Tark Send a personal message to Trader Tark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-27 4:38 pm   Permalink

Great to see some more home grown 'tiki talent' here in Good Ol' Blighty! Love the big fella!! Next time Sian and I come down to Brighton (we love the place!), we'll have to try and hook up. Alternatively if you are headin' up to the TRADER VIC's, MAHIKI or SUGAR CANE, let us know...until then, keep chislin' and post the results!

All the BEST from Tiki Towers - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-28 12:14 pm   Permalink

Hi Pocketiki,

Thank you,

Let us know if you are coming down and i'll see if i'm about.

I've yet to check out your little book !

Tark

tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 04:57 am   Permalink

I like your work.
Bigger IS better.

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-21 02:35 am   Permalink

Hello,
Well its been a while, but the cars been out of the garage havinng some paint. This leaves Tiki space. So i've spent some evenings out there. The plan was to try to produce two as Christmas gifts. One for my Mother and the other for Tamzine's. How to make parents proud.. eh. look what i did in school..

This is the first of the two:

And now stained and oiled:

I'm still experimenting and getting used to using chisels. Its all a learning curve and every one is practice for the next.

I'll post the other as soon as i upload some pics.

All the best
Tark

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 02:42 am   Permalink

Really nice work and welcome to TC! I can see why you dont go bigger than 7 foot - it wouldn't fit in the garage So got any pics of that "old plymouth"?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-21 02:54 am   Permalink

Hey Hewey, Thanks for the compliments.
Yes your right , i think that big one was 2 inches from the roof.. so i wont be doing one much bigger. At least not till the summer time when i gan go to work out side..

There's my Plymouth , Its a '68 Fury III .

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 03:00 am   Permalink

Sweeeet ride Love that Bellflower influence

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BUFFBAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-21 03:34 am   Permalink

Nice work Tark. I really like the tall one the best. MORE ! pics. BUFFBAD

View Profile of BUFFBAD Send a personal message to BUFFBAD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 06:37 am   Permalink

Beautiful piece.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-21 08:41 am   Permalink

Cool carvings!!
Too bad for the old Pier, I really liked it, it was right out of Metropolis, beautiful, oh well, thankfully one can still have breakfast at the Royal Pavilion garden.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-23 09:52 am   Permalink

HI,

Thought as i had some time i would post some pics of the other little project i have been doing whilst the garage was empty. The second of the recent two . But to be totally acurate my TIKI#6 .. I must admit that the more i look at other peoples work mine do seem quite un-sufisticated. Well really i do just draw a rough plan and just start hacking away, first with Chain saw then chisels and sander... I will try not to blame my tools, but probabaly more my patience and lack of attention to detail. I have to also admit that my favorite TIKIS probably are the Vintage "Pop Art" style. It was these that first drew my intrest in the whole World of TIKI.

One very wet (probably too wet) Beech log with its first shapings..

Stained the tounge:

I aplied many coats of Danish oil (Dark Mahogony)

I would be interested if any one has sugestions for the finish on Carved items. So far i have used Wax, Linseed oil and Danish oil.

Well, now let me also take this opertunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas from Me and Tamzine::lol::lol:

And of course from the Kids:

I hope you all have wonderfull holidays...

Best wishes

Tark & Tamzine

AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 01:45 am   Permalink

great carvings, love the last two Tikis
hope too see more pics soon
have a great day

Akuae

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 12:54 pm   Permalink

Hi Tark, thanks for your christmas card.
It took me over 4 weeks to post an reply now. Uh, I am so bad. Sorry, man.
It is sad to hear about the old pier, I guess my visit to brighton was quit a while ago. But Bournemouth has one too.
It is nice to see someone is carving in beech too. I hope, it won´t crack too much when drying. Beech likes to crack as I experienced. Good luck with it.
And good work.
p.s. Are these the santas?

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation