[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Joe's Turning Into Tiki Joe's
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Trader Joe's Turning Into Tiki Joe's
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 09:37 am   Permalink

I was at the Westwood (CA) Trader Joe's and was pleasantly surprised to see the store had become still more Tiki and now features price tags/product tags which state: "Tiki Joe's."
I also noticed several of the male employees sporting kakui nut leis.
Maybe a Tiki Joe's product line is in the future?

It is always good to see Trader Joe's spreading the Tiki love.

Has anyone else noticed the Tiki Joe's characteristic?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 09:41 am   Permalink

Hopefully, come spring the Tiki themed shopping bags will return:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23398&forum=1

or maybe Tiki Joe's will add:
"Mele Kalikimaka" to the bags soon.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDeke
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

Reportedly, Oceanic Arts does a lot of the Trader Joe's signage.....

View Profile of TikiDeke Send a personal message to TikiDeke  Email TikiDeke Goto the website of TikiDeke     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-25 2:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-25 12:16, TikiDeke wrote:
Reportedly, Oceanic Arts does a lot of the Trader Joe's signage.....

Also, Tiki Joe's has retained the talents of our own TikiDiablo, if I recall correctly.
It really is astounding (although not necessarily surprising) how Trader Joe's has embraced Tiki - and appropriately so.

After all, Trader Joe's does have the Trader Giotto product line, so just as easily they could have embraced a Venetian theme, complete with Gondolas, St. Marcos replicas, clocktowers and employees in striped shirts.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 08:08 am   Permalink

Tiki Joe's sells coffee with Tikis on it: the 100% Kauai coffee.

Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 09:02 am   Permalink

Tiki Joe's in Thousand Oaks has a bunch of carvings from VonTiki as a well as a few others

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TimboTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-17 12:18 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately for those of us here in the Twin Cities, there is no tiki in the three Trader Joe's in the region...

o/' For we need a little tiki / Right this very minute... o/'

View Profile of TimboTiki Send a personal message to TimboTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 12:21 pm   Permalink

Sadly, none in the Atlanta ones either.

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TimboTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-27 2:39 pm   Permalink

OK, for all the Twin Cities folks...

If you have kids, take 'em to the Woodbury store. There is a tiki hidden somewhere in the store, and the tykes who find him receive some sort of prize. Don't know what it is, though...

View Profile of TimboTiki Send a personal message to TimboTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-27 14:39, TimboTiki wrote:
OK, for all the Twin Cities folks...

If you have kids, take 'em to the Woodbury store. There is a tiki hidden somewhere in the store, and the tykes who find him receive some sort of prize. Don't know what it is, though...

..i think the prize is one of those cheap ugly little tiki fountains from walgreen's.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-28 02:05 am   Permalink

SORRY, here in Maryland at our local Trader Joe's its business
as usual. Aside from same fake plam trees there since day 1 & a
"few" clerks in Hawaiian shirts, zip!

Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-08 01:20 am   Permalink

In an effort to promote more visual documentation on Tiki Central, a while back I went around and photographed the various Trader Joe's in the L.A. neighborhoods I frequent: I shop in Burbank and Toluca Lake because of my Naomi, and in Eagle Rock because of my son Diego's school. Ironically my own T.J's in Silverlake has not one Tiki face in it.

The Burbank Trader Joe's has the some of the better nouveaux Tiki touches of all of them. Here's the entrance:

Here's their plastic bamboo bag recycling can. It would make a good ice ice bucket for outdoor Tiki parties:

The cash registers have some well done flat sculpt Tiki signs above them:

Here's quite an elaborate painting explaining the concept of the helmsperson:

And here are some cartoony signs that were done by a sign painter that also did some for the Toluca Lake store:

While maybe not the best Tiki renderings, the Toluca Lake store gets an A for its elaborate entrance installation:

The Tiki torches have flickering lights. Here's a sign in the Toluca store aptly describing the frustrations when we T.J. shoppers cannot find our favorite food item:

These guys are done pretty stylized, I like'em:

...though I am not partial to heroic renderings of trailblazing hummers:

Here's another artsy sign, with a Party City Tiki border in the background:

The Toluca Lake store even has Tiki detail in it price tags:

The Eagle Rock store unfortunately gets the least favorable review in terms of Tiki design execution ( but it is great to shop in because it is never crowded! ). While the interior signs are OK:

...the exterior murals are just frightfully off, in color AND design:

...a parrot Tiki?

This guy was a play on the summer shopping bag Tiki:

All in all it is quite astonishing how Tiki has appeared in my daily world in places where it has never been before. I am glad that my favorite grocery chain's theme-ing coincides with my favorite hobby. Now if they only could stick to their low prices...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-08 07:54 am   Permalink

just in case anyone missed it

Link here

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-08 09:02 am   Permalink

Wow, I have to look more closely when I go to my TJ's in Toluca.....I know I spot Tikis there, but I never spot Tiki Luminaries there...Sven K shops at Toluca TJ's......

Whodda thunkit ?

BTW....

The most addicting candy EVER can be found at TJ's - Dark Chocolate Almonds...Salted Almonds covered in Dark chocolate...Sweet, salty,chocolatey,crunchy...HIGHLY addicting.

NOW they just need to bring back those TIKI shopping bags from last year.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-08 12:40 pm   Permalink

I'm addicted to the mini peanut butter cups! Oh my!

This year's reusable shopping bags (the ones that had a hibiscus print last year) don't have any tikis on them, but they've got a really cool surf design.

Although I could find no evidence of Crazy Al, the Alameda store has a lot of tiki touches (unfortunately including that Party City border around most of the walls). I'll try to remember my camera next time I go.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation